Utilizing the net as offensive weapon...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SSSSNT, Jan 21, 2015.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

All of us have seen this happened several times a match. Someone hits the shuttle, it hits the top part of the net a little bit and land on the opponent side without him/her able to do anything. We call it a lucky shot and often we apologize as courtesy when it happens. I think we can all agree when it happens these shots are one of the most difficult shots to return, even for world class players.

Now, I am talking about doing these shots intentionally as a real badminton technique. No this is not a joke...well maybe half joking :p but I do wonder about the viability of it. I think a mid-front drive would benefit the most from it. It's not too far back that it's hard to be precise in hitting the net yet the opponent is not expecting the shuttle to land near the net.

Of course the downside is you're gonna hit the net too low and lose points. But I think since the momentum of the shuttle is forward and if you could just be precise with it, the advantage is yours. A seemingly harmless mid push becomes a finisher.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

if it was viable it would be being done already. case closed.

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Problem is, as you already realize, the risk of killing yourself first may be high. You end up losing more points than you earn.

4. darkfear

darkfear New Member

If you can master it, I suggest don't waste your time here and quickly go practice. I look forward to your multiple world championship titles. Dumbo.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I think that some of the comments here are wayyyyy too negative for the playful suggestion. However, I must concede that this tactic, even from midcourt, is much too risky for any tier of player to commit to. There exist examples that Chinese women's singles players run the risk of doing this when playing VERY flat drives or pushes from the front of the court, and hitting the tape is actually very common in that respect, but it's sort of like playing the PERFECT dropshot, barely over the net. The mental and physical expense of doing it does not merit the risks and rewards of the shot.

6. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    Agreed about overreacting to a half-serious topic. Not sure about the name calling. Thought this forum is a little above that, but anyhoo...

Personally, I rather rely on building the winning shot or actually attempting to hit the winning shot than to take a risk like hitting the tape on purpose. Won't even consider doing that just goofing around because i don't think it's a sound technique/tactic. May lead to bad habits.

My advice for what it's worth is to focus on the fundamentals and trust them to carry the day.

#6 No_footwork, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    in my younger days playing, I often had shots hitting the top of the net and getting over. But it was never intended that way. All I ever aim for is just to get the shuttle over the net and the dip downward to create counter attack shots when under pressure. Try to attack even during defensive play. Almost impossible to do that aiming the tap. Even that requires lots of practice and you never can tell.... CONSISTENCY? .... only you know too well your own play

8. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    It can be done. Its actually not hard. There are many players that can tumble net shots consistently during drills. If someone tossed me birds right over the net I could tumble maybe 7 or 8 out of 10. What makes it hard is the positioning. If you are in the perfect position then tumbling is easy but when you aren't its tougher to control your body and your shot suffers from this lack of control.

When I saw this title of the thread I imagined someone taking the net of the posts, picking it up and chasing someone with it

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[MENTION=122958]Caffrey[/MENTION]

Clearly you didn't read the (months old) op - he's talking about hitting drives into the tape on purpose.

Also, a 'net tumble' is the name of a shot that describes the shuttle motion - it doesn't matter whether the shuttle hits the net or not to be described as such.

10. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Shoot, I didn't see how old this thread was.

I didn't pick up the drives part but it's generally the same thing. I used to practice slamming drives into the top of the tape to develop a feel for it

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I didn't pick up the drives part but it's generally the same thing
    Yes, in as much as all shots are 'generally the same thing'.

12. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

I think the lines are wider the net tape, why shouldn't I practice how to hit the shuttle on the line?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's much harder to do for midcourt drives.

But if you can do it for net tumbles on a consistent basis, you'll probably win the match.

For singles, I think it's a crucial part of the game.

14. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Frankly, as often as i drive my shot across the net aiming at the net height in my doubles play. Sometimes in a single game, I hit it at the tape and birdie tumble over 5-6 times. You will be surprised to know that as much as tumbling, there were other games where shuttle went over the tape but was pulled back by the feather and drop back into your own court. Do you know how frustrating that is? I am not talking about once or twice. In as much as 10 times or so during an evening session. Although it does not happen regularly, but sometimes it just happen so often in a single session.

FYI, a series of tumbling shots happen some years ago while I was playing in a tournament for my club and I had to repeatedly apologised for it during the entire match. That included a smash which hit the tape and bounce of it tumbling from my side as the birdie somersaulted over the net.
    I don't think I can often do that's neither repeated it if I could

I forgot to add. On another occasion, I was standing in front intercepting a shot in doubles. Send the birdie to the net. Shuttle head went over but the feather portion got stuck on the net. Ended with a let and had to re- start that point do this are things unpredictable. In practice you may be able to do so but in real match... condition is different. May not be ideal. All I ever want to do is to hit the birdie aiming at me height and hopefully create an attack even in defence. Just get it over is enough but not permits opponent to smash

#14 bbmars, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Because some people seem to think the lines are out...

I was told when younger that if you could hit the tape intentionally you'd be world class. So I aim for it. Trouble is I hit it too often and mostly it comes back on my side. Can't beat a big smash that drills into the string and turns into a net tumble though.