Is it legal to strike the shuttlecock with racket handle?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by SSSSNT, Jan 13, 2015.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

One of the better player where I play often will hit with the racket handle when there's an easy net kill. He just turn his racket around and hit (although there's a lot of misses too!). It's no big deal and everyone got a good laugh. It got me thinking about the legality of this move though.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Nothing in the laws that says it's not legal...

3. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Why he must used his racket handle to hit the shuttlecock? For a circus show or to impress someone?

In a competitive game or if he play against someone with same or higher level, there is no way he can perform this show, his opponent won't lift the shuttlecock in front of the net and waiting for him to turn his racket to strike.

4. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Why he must used his racket handle to hit the shuttlecock? For a circus show or to impress someone?

In a competitive game or if he play against someone with same or higher level, there is no way he can perform this show, his opponent won't lift the shuttlecock in front of the net and waiting for him to turn his racket to strike.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

As long as it doesn't hit his hand in the process! Do you mean shaft? I've never accidentally hit the shuttle with my handle!

6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Yeah I thought so but who knows :p

Obviously...:rolleyes:

Yeah with the shaft lol. :p kinda like how you'd use a baseball bat.

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The rule technically states that: the stringed area is the inteded area where the shuttle would be hit. So if you purposely hit with the handle, a fault can be warranted. If you attempted to return the shuttle and it bounces off your handle and goes over, then it can be a good shot.

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    It's legal, I've seen it in league matches and I know a good friend of mine than can do it with great deception.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Don't ask what the meaning of life is. You define it.

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Faults are not "warranted", but explicitly listed in §13. Umpires cannot conjure new fault conditions. For example, if the server's partner blocks the view of the shuttle, a let is given, despite the language in §9.5 which does not allow blocking the view to the shuttle. An umpire can always use rule §16.7 (commonly known as the yellow or red card), but umpires are generally extremely hesitant to do so even much more serious circumstances.Therefore, I believe an umpire would simply allow it. And in any match with an umpire, the opposite site would usually get the shuttle back ;)

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

And the rule technically never states that a player cannot play a match with 2 rackets. So, would that be legal? Of course, in such situation (of a player hitting the shuttle with the handle), the umpire would probably let the rally continue, but then conjure with the referee and the referee will make the ruling on the case. The rulebook doesn't explicitly state much.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Re 1 or 2 rackets, the rules already imply 1 racket as the rules always refer to the racket as singular not plural.

12. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

^ I remember on one match, the string on Zhang Nan's racket was broken while he was under attacked, and Zhao Yunlei ran out of the court and got another spare racket, on both hands, and handed it to Zhang Nan. The umpire didn't interrupt the game at that time. So if it was against the rule then she would be stopped.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Ya, I remember that incident too... :)

14. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, during the rally the players are allowed to procure as many rackets as they want ;) This is codified in §3.5.4.2 RTTO. Notably, this only allows exchanging the racket, so the team should either have a broken racket they intend to discard, or place down one functioning racket. So at any time there should be no more functional rackets than players.But they are not allowed to start with more than one racket on a person. Again, this will not incur a fault - it's not listed under §13. The umpire will call the referee and ask for the player to be disqualified (after talking to the player himself of course). This is the same procedure that's used if the players' clothes do not follow the tournament rules. (That happens more often than one might think, thanks to boys wearing soccer jerseys.)

#14 phihag, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Would it be possible to get a warning/yellow card for playing with the handle?
    As it is obviously rude behavior and very very unsportmanship...

16. phihag

phihag Regular Member

No yellow card

No, most certainly there'd be no warning at all. Yes, the player is showing off, but that's certainly allowed, just like behind-the-leg shots are. I'd also contest that showing off is rude or an offence against sportsmanship at all.

Bear in mind that any game with an umpire is much closer, and much more serious than casual games. If you play with the handle, there's a good chance a competent (regional-level and above) player will be able to return the shot. Also, if the shot fails (and even if it succeeds), the player can be certain to be reprimanded by their coaches (especially if they're junior players). In my experience, most players at "with-umpire" levels take these games quite seriously; they often have trained for weeks if not months for the specific tournament and are unlikely to play any trick shots at all.

Additionally, umpires are traditionally very hesitant to make use of the cards. Even experienced umpires have often never used theirs. Showing a yellow card does nothing but enrage the player. Conversely, here in Germany, the sanctions for a yellow card in Badminton are actually higher than the comparable yellow card in soccer.

#16 phihag, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. |_Footwork_|

This was more of a theoretical question. It obv never happens in practice for the obvious reasons you mentioned...
    For example in soccer, you get a yellow (or even red?) card if you run past the goalie, run to the goal alone, then stop the ball at the line, knee down and roll it over the line with your head. This also almost never happens, but you get a card for bad sportsmanship. The "put it down with the handle" would be the equivalent in badminton. Not very likely to happen, but not impossible. (think of a player desperately jumping to a good net shot and lay on the floor, while the opponent can just tap the shuttle in the open court...).

18. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

no, that is not bad sportsmanship and you'd never get a card for doing that in football.

20. |_Footwork_|

You def get a yellow card for bad sportmanship...