Overhitting with 3U?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by funkdrummer, Jan 12, 2015.

1. funkdrummer

funkdrummer Regular Member

Student
    Hey everyone! I seem to be having an over hitting problem when switching between my 3U and 4U rackets. My clears seem to be landing out instead of landing in the rear court of my opponent and my drives seem to be landing out as well. Is there any to adjust to this problem? (I have to play with plastic shuttles for the school season, feather isn't used by my board :| ) Thanks in advance!

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Well, the obvious answer is, don't switch rackets so much. :rolleyes:

The next most obvious answer is, put enough playing time into each racket such that you are able to quickly adapt to the feel of each.

The last, least logical answer is, don't funk-drum so much.... your forearm muscles must be so strong.

3. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Even better solution: stop clearing and smash more. Lol

4. funkdrummer

funkdrummer Regular Member

Student
    I literally have 2 rackets that I personally use on a regular basis ;) My 3U for singles (ughh still have to adjust :'( ) and my 4U doubles :p

I guess I'll have to spend time and develop my abilities with my 3U racket thanks!
    I don't really drum hard, so I don't think that's a problem ;)

I was just practicing my overhead clears in a little pick-up game :p I smash frequently and MUCH harder with the 3U so I really don't wanna switch :p

5. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    If thats the case then should just use 3u be it single or double game. Some ppl switch rackets, others just stick to one racket. IMO, use whatever u r most comfortable with.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The obvious answer to your question is: why are you hitting way too hard with the racket? Why don't you just hit less hard and get the shuttle in the court?! Its the same for everyone who hits out - stop hitting out! :)

Joking aside - I always laugh when people say they use different rackets for different things e.g. one for singles and one for doubles. I think... how can they manage it? I have trained for hours with my racket to get the perfect length and accuracy on my shots, and I can play all the shots with my racket, so why do I need to change racket? I have one racket with which I play badminton... singles and doubles and mixed are all variations of badminton, so why should I need different rackets?! If there are things I can do with one that I can't do with the other, then I haven't practised well enough.

A final thought - the best players around (top level county, top national and international) will not play with different rackets for different disciplines, because they are very skilful, so there is no reason to switch. I believe that switching rackets will actually reduce your skills, as you rely on the racket to make the difference for you, rather than improving yourself and your technique. Just stick to one racket and master it - you will play better than if you constantly switch and having to "adjust".

Good luck!