Changing string tension to force accuracy?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Charlie-SWUK, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So, I've read the stickied threads about string tensions.

Please correct any of these statements if they seem wrong/incorrect:
    - Looser strings provide more of a trampoline effect, often increasing the power of shots
    - Tighter strings provide more control
    - Tighter strings shrink the sweet spot
    - Tighter strings lessen the above trampoline effect, requiring more strength from the player

Each time I've had my racket restrung, I've increased the tension on the string. I do this to force myself to develop muscles further, and improve my technique. I only increase the tension by 1lb, and only get a restring every 2 months or so.

Would you consider this a viable training method? At the moment I'm on 25lbs, but the racket is fully recommended up to 28, which means I have room to go higher.

Moreso, why do you find yourself increasing tensions? Do you do it to acclimate yourself to a higher standard of performance, or do you do it to make your racket facilitate your already higher performance?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

when a player reaches a level where he has the technique and power to clear baseline to baseline with only 90% effort, that's when he'll start to appreciate and develop more accuracy and touch shots, eg. backhand short serves, tactical pushes, net play, etc

that's only achievable with stiffer stringbeds at higher tensions

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

No, it's no training method. You should string according to your abilities and preferences.
    I string quite hard, just for the sake of more control. That's what most higher level players do. If you don't have the power to easily clear with a high tension, you should go down.
    For example: a baseline to baseline clear always has to be effortless! It's just an easy, unforced swing. If you feel you don't hit long enough easily, you probably string too hard.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You cannot force accuracy. It's part of the overall feel you have when striking the shuttle. That depends on how many shuttles you have hit in practice sessions. I refer to feather shuttles when saying all this.

Also, the gauge of the strings matter. With a thin string I don't like to string it too high.

I used to go to 30lbs when I was playing a lot. Now it's 28lbs and I think I will hardly go to 30lbs again. With thin gauge, I will string at 26lbs. Just learnt all this by experience and trial and error.

I certainly know people who string at lower tension and have better shots than me and who can beat me.

Feel the force inside you to guide the shuttle to where you want it to go. Don't try and force it. :)

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Your statements are roughly correct, but not completely true e.g. if I go too low on my string tension, I will lose power considerably, whereas lowering a little bit will increase my power slightly. Tighter strings do not provide more control necessarily, but it would to a player with excellent technique.

As you can see, its not quite as clear cut as your rules suggest, but they are a good fundamental starting point.

As for your logic - increasing slightly each time is fine, but why bother doing it just to reach 28? What if 26 is best for you? What if 30 is best for you?

Don't just increase for the sake of it. The tension will roughly match your skill - going higher will not increase your skills. Simply find what you like and stick with it. Whilst I do not know how "good" you are, the fact you are asking about tensions suggests you shouldn't go much higher than you are for a while (unless you own a stringing machine and can experiment yourself!). 25 is a high tension such that you won't lack for power or control. The real power, control and accuracy comes from now improving your technique. Then, in 6 months time once you have improved, see whether you enjoy playing with a higher tension again.

Its all about what feels good to you - there is no reason to increase or decrease. If you enjoy playing at a certain tension, then its the right tension. If you do not think you could tell the difference in enjoyment at different tensions, then you are definitely not proficient enough to start playing at higher tensions. Once you have a good technique, the difference in feel and performance becomes obvious, and thats when you can start making changes.

I personally do not change my tension ever (except for one spare racket strung low so I never break it). I do not increase my tension. I play with 32 * 34 lbs tension, and I simply enjoy playing with that. I increased tension until i didn't enjoy playing with it, and then went down to a tension that suited me (in terms of power, control and how often I have to restring it).

Good luck to you!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ 32x34 lbs tension?! :eek:

Of course you wouldn't enjoy playing with tensions higher than that...

If I tried that, I think my arm would fall off, or my racket would collapse at the first frame mishit...

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Haha - don't misshit ;)

My strings are probably closer to around 30lbs pulled by an electronic constant pull machine with a pre stretch - mine is only a lock out hand crank, so its not exactly going to retain its tension in the same way. I use BG66UM which seems to hold its tension better than most strings though.

I do actually like playing with a higher tension - a friend strung his at around 38lbs and that was very good fun - but best not to get too used to it, lest I start doing that on all my rackets - his racket broke within a month of being at that tension.

The point remains the same - I play with a tension I enjoy. I don't experiment anymore, as I know what feels good.

Good luck :)

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Not a good training method, you should stick to a specific tension for singles or doubles depending on what you play most and then look to improving your technique, footwork etc first. Messing about with tension when you have not improved as much as you can on other aspects is pointless.

My philosophy when I set up a coaching session for someone:
    Assessing level so I can compose coaching plan... then apply Footwork drills, Fitness drills, Repetition of shots looking at correcting technique and then repeating. Once they are really good on footwork and technique in all shots, I can also see what kind of player they are and suggest suitable tensions for their game going forward. It's about controlling the variables, change one thing, get good at it, then move on. Trying to do too many changes, you won't know what improved your game.

I find 24lbs is best for me in doubles and 26lbs for singles. I have stuck with that and concentrated on improving my technique, fitness and footwork moreso. For me the biggest factor on getting better on court is footwork, if you have poor footwork (i.e. sometimes lunge with wrong leg or push off incorrectly) then it doesn't matter on how good you are on other areas.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

#8 InvincibleAjay, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  9. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I think the OP points/statements are all generally correct but saying that, there are so many "other" variables that would affect accuracy, power and playability.
    Variables like racquet weight, string type, shaft stiffness, head balance, balance point, racquet swing speed and especially your technique will affects those statements about string tensions.

It's such an iterative process and you really just need to keep experimenting until you find the right tension with a certain racquet that will fit for you. Each racquet and each person is different, so one tension for one racquet for one person may not mean the same thing for another racquet for someone else.

I found a groove with my ZF2 at 29 pounds and anything below this tension feels mediocre now for me. I struggle to use some of my old favourite racquets with the different specs and string tension.
    So keep experimenting until you find a tension that feels right for you.
    And yes, like Ajay's point, don't forget to improve your technique with training and practice.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] and [MENTION=93307]|_Footwork_|[/MENTION]
    This is currently very difficult for me to gauge. The halls are too cold and the shuttles are too slow for me to know either way. I couldn't come close to meeting the shuttle speed test recommendation with Mavis 300 fasts or Victor Gold Championship (79 speeds) with any of my three rackets - including one strung at 20lbs. (I asked about the heating and was told it was unavailable.)
    [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION]
    Thanks! I'll probably keep upping it just to experiment. I mean you lose roughly 10% of tension in a couple of weeks anyway right? So my 25lbs is now likely to be 23.
    [MENTION=87642]InvincibleAjay[/MENTION]
    I honestly don't know my own game well enough to make that call yet. I feel as if I were being daft to ignore the possibility of using a higher tension, only to later on find I prefer it.

The one thing I definitely can say so far, is I much prefer the BG 80 to the BG 65 Ti.

11. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    Because you progress, so to increase the tension, if more than too much, it is easy to be injured.

12. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Charlie I use BG80 string myself, a great all round string, good choice.

Try this, you need to do specific drills with different tensions to then see which is more consistent for you, like when you warm up and practice all the shots with a partner, see which one yields more accurate clears, then drops in terms of feel and closeness to net, then smashes, then drives, then net shots, etc. This is a start. Then do the same drill once you have changed the tension and see if it is better or worse. However you have to bare in mind, with higher tensions, you lose control on touch shots and the sweet spot is less so you need to find the happy medium. Good luck!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=87642]InvincibleAjay[/MENTION]
    Thanks, there's a touch of a predicament; I don't have anywhere to do drills. Everywhere I go just plays games. I don't have a training partner either. Maybe that's something to focus on more than string tensions.. But yeah I was using the 65Ti on my Arc 9 and disliked the feel of the string. It didn't feel very powerful and shots didn't feel controlled enough.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

There's never any time for the recreational player to do drills, but if you start your warmup (you do warmup right? ;)) with some simple drills like clears, drives, pushes, net play, serves etc. (just like the pros do before games), then eventually you'll improve.

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly! This is where I do alot of my practice - the match warmups!

And I prefer BG80 and BG66UM to most strings. BG66UM seems to hold tension better for longer. I also quite like BG68ti at low tensions - its got a fun trampoline effect :)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Matt, if you like those strings, you should give the new ZM66 Fire a try. It'll be coming out in UK in the next few wks. Good solid feel with nice repulsion and control.

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thanks for the heads up. I never stay on top of these things nowadays. I will give them a go! Do they come in luminous yellow?!

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^ No yellow, but "fire orange" :)

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Close enough! Sold!

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... :)

Check out the thread if you like. In UK, Goode Sports should carry it.