What's the ready position at the serve for doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, Dec 21, 2014.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is something that I've been overthinking when playing, on how should I do my ready position in doubles

1st case: receiving the serve
    a. If I am the receiver,
    - which foot should be forward?
    - Should I lean more forward or backward?
    - Is the back foot pointing frontward or sideways?
    - How wide apart my feet should be?
    - How low should I bend?
    - How high should I raise my racket?
    - How far is the elbow from my body?
    - How should I position my non-racket arm?
    - Where should I face? the opponent, shuttle cock, or front?
    - Where is the best position on the right side and on the left side? In the middle or slighly to the sone side?

b. I f I'm not the receiver.
    - Should I have my foot in a front-back position or just position them sideways?
    - Where should my left and right foot pointing? to the front or a bit like 45 degree sideways
    - How low should I bend?
    - Where is the best position - How far is the elbow from my body?
    - Where is the best position for a non receiver if his mate is served at left? at right ? more in the midcourt or backcourt?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    For me, it's this:

Receiving the serve
    a. If I am the receiver,
    Non-racket foot forward
    Forward
    Both feet pointing forwards. The back foot is partially elevated at the heel.
    A little over shoulder width, I take a long stance instead of a wide one. This means if they flick I can quickly shift my weight back and jump backwards with it.
    - How low should I bend?
    I bend my legs more than my body. I shift my weight towards my non-racket leg because either way, I'm going to be making an initial move using my racket foot.
    I keep my racket at about neck height, in position ready to back hand or play a short shot. If they flick it back, I have more time to adjust my grip for that situation, than adjusting it for a low serve.
    My arm is in a reasonably rested position, it's partially bent.
    I do the same thing with my non-racket arm as my racket arm, minus the racket. This is because again, if they flick, it makes it easier to balance.
    I face the front but with a lean towards facing my opponents.
    - Where is the best position on the right side and on the left side? In the middle or slighly to the sone side?
    I tend to find positioning yourself to get a little extra room on forehand shots the best method. Staying close to the middle, but a little bit over to one side. This can make you vulnerable to cross courts though.

For not receiving, I do the same thing, but I stand nearer the centre court. I keep the lower racket position above because it's quite defensive, if they play a flat or a low shot I'm in a reasonable position to return it.

3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

As taught by coach:

a. If I am the receiver,
    Non-racket foot
    Forward
    Forward, partially elevated.
    About shoulder width or slightly narrower than shoulder width, whichever you are comfortable with
    - How low should I bend?
    Enough for you to get ready for the flick
    Net level
    In front of you, in a comfortable position
    No preferences, but must remember to use it to lead or balance yourself
    Opponent
    Stand close to where your backhand is, so if a flick comes, you can afford to use an overhead rather than force to use your backhand, which is more than likely to be a weakness than a strength

- Should I have my foot in a front-back position or just position them sideways?
    Adjust per situation. I prefer my non-racket forward to be forward if I know my opponent keeps moving me to the back court. For flat exchanges, I change to a square stance.
    - Where should my left and right foot pointing? to the front or a bit like 45 degree sideways
    As above.
    Shoulder width apart, or slightly narrower.
    - How low should I bend?
    Same as when being a receiver.
    I keep it at waist level in a neutral position to prepare for both flat exchanges and lifts.
    In front, at a comfortable position.
    Same as receiving.
    Square stance, tendency to be neutral. Non-racket foot forward, towards the opponent.
    - Where is the best position - How far is the elbow from my body?
    Most importantly is you are comfortable and the racket is in front of you.
    Same as receiving.
    Question is repeated. See above.
    - Where is the best position for a non receiver if his mate is served at left? at right ? more in the midcourt or backcourt?
    Depending on how I position my feet as mentioned above.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is what I would teach:

a. If I am the receiver,
    Non racket foot.
    Keep balanced in the middle of your feet - equally ready for forwards and backwards. Your upper body may go slightly forwards, but not enough to unbalance you.
    Doesn't matter. Mine is more sideways - you need to be able to move forwards and backwards quickly - so whichever way allows you to push quickly is best. Note: my front foot points more forwards than my back foot.
    Wide. More than shoulders width, but how much is preference - going wide helps you go low, and prepares you to move backwards quickly. Standing with the feet too close together means that going low may unbalance you. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable and balanced and be able to push quickly forwards and backwards.
    - How low should I bend?
    As low as you need to go to feel ready to move quickly - going low prepares your leg muscles to explode. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable and balanced and be able to push quickly forwards and backwards.
    Net tape height. Not above the net - if you have your racket too high, and the serve comes tight over the net, you have to lower your racket, and risk hitting the shuttle into the net. Start with the racket slightly below the net, and you do not have this problem (and you can still play downwards shots even if your racket is travelling upwards - so you can still kill rubbish serves).
    Full comfortable reach in front - why wouldn't you reach forwards? It helps take the shuttle earlier.
    Its up to you, some player leave it by their side, others reach forwards. No advantage either way.
    The opponent and shuttle are in the same place right? Point at them - thats where the shot is coming from.
    Assumption - opponent is serving from the T (if they serve from wider in the court, you need to change your position). If they serve from the T:
    1. on the right hand side (for a right hander) you should stand 1 rackets length from the centre line (so there is not much space down the backhand side down the middle).
    2. on the left hand side (for a right hander) you should stand 1.5 rackets length from the centre line, giving a slightly larger gap down the middle - but you can reach this as its on your forehand.

Just be ready. It doesn't matter how you like to be ready. Technically as the receiving side, you are in a more aggressive situation than the serving side. But I would just use my normal ready position, feet about parallel, racket foot slightly in front, wide base ready to move quick.
    See above - normal ready position.
    - How low should I bend?
    The elbow is ALWAYS a long way from the body. All the time. Im serious.
    Face the opponent who will hit the shot.
    The back of the midcourt (should be able to touch your partner with your racket). Position yourself so you can see the shuttle once it has served and your opponent plays the shot i.e. slightly on the other side of your partner.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice questions - many can be answered with some observation and analysis on YouTube matches.

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Got another problem: sight.: this especially occurs when serving from the left (odd points)

If I'm on the serving side, with a shot serve:
    a. If i serve
    1. What shoud I do and where should I be after the serve so my partner get's the best view of the shuttle?
    b. If I'm not serving
    1. What shoud I do and where should I be so I get the best view of the shuttle and also can react quickly?

This is because If I want to get a better view, I move right a bit (I'm right handed), but then the left side (backhand side) will be more exposed. And I can't get a good view if I'm on the middle. usually the shuttle has already flew without me seeing the opponent hitting it

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A. Ask the partner. It will depend on your partner's preference.

B. Move to the right and move faster to the left if they hit the shuttle there. Definitely the quality of your partner's serve and the ability of your opponent to return serve will dictate the speed of the shuttle to your backhand side.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Agreed. I see many players worry about standing too far away from their backhand... but why worry? If the opponent hits it REALLY flat then either the server could intercept it, or you just play a backhand drop, drive, push or clear - no big deal! However, there is normally more than enough time to step out and take the shuttle round the head - just remember to fully turn your shoulders on your first step!