Grips

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dracover, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    Some background, the club I play at is full of intermediate amateur players and so mostly have only been playing for a couple of years. As such most also use more modern techniques such as pronation and as much on the wrist.

Recently we've had a couple of older players join us and i understand (not that I would know) that a couple were ex-state/national level players.

One of those players (from what i can see) players almost the whole game with a pan-grip including smashes. To me it seems that it's basically purely using the wrist to generate power.

I have played with state level players before and while I appreciate both are much better than me, it was quite obvious this new guys smashes are much more powerful. Keep in mind this guys wrists and arms are tiny (pretty sure I can put my hand around his wrist quite easily).

My questions

- Anyone heard of this before (I assume maybe some of the older players)?
    - To me it seems incredibly powerful, why is it not in style?
    - Anyone seen any videos around which demonstrates this?

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Video or it didn't happen. Perception of what's a "strong smash" varies substantially. Show us the skill of these players, otherwise it's worthless to speculate what is possible with whatever grip.

I honestly believe you can't play really well with a panhandle grip. Apart from that, it is possible to play a decent smash with this grip. But as soon as it comes to deception, varying angles, net play, backhand play, etc., you're limited with this grip...

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

- Yes
    - Because pronation and supanation is more powerful so why would anyone learn an alternate style that's for smashes(it engages stronger muscles, the limit is greater). For shots like backhand drive for instance i don't even know how panhandle would work.
    - There are videos of powerful net kills with panhandle technique if that's any good to you?

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

I'm sorry for doubting you, but are you sure that this player is using a panhandle grip? The only way that someone could possibly generate power with the panhandle girp is if they hold their grip like the basic grip, except they just stick their thumb up, so it looks like they're holding panhandle.

5. Dracover

Dracover Regular Member

Accountant
    It is possible. I'm not a pro so may be getting it all wrong. It's holidays in my part of the world, I'll take a video when we all return to playing.