Practising alone on court.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Malmortius, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Malmortius

Malmortius Regular Member

#1 Malmortius, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Inconsistent

Inconsistent Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If you are practicing alone I would recommend doing footwork patterns for 30-60 mins at a time.
    As you are training alone there isn't much you can really do except footwork and shadow badminton (where you pretend you're playing against someone).

Some drills you can do are practicing footwork to the 6 points in a badminton court, you could use your shuttles and put them onto the points and move them around.

But in all honesty I think if you wan to improve I would suggest getting lessons as that is where you will see your biggest improvement. You can practice all you want but if you're practicing incorrectly it'll be a waste (this is from experience -.-).

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Serves for sure is one you can practice on court by yourself. Do a few thousand of those and you'll have it nearly perfect.

4. Malmortius

Is it possible to lift the shuttle into the air yourself and practise smashing like that?

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

No

(10 characters)

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As others have advised - lifting to yourself to practice overhead shots is not possible - but shadowing them (pretending to hit them) can be very beneficial. In particular, you could shadow them with a heavy racket - this can help build muscle memory. If you do decide to shadow the movements with a heavy racket, make sure you do them slowly and correctly (not full speed). This will help you get the technique correct.

As another person said, practising footwork is the best thing you can do alone on court, and is something that all levels of player (even the fairly advanced ones) should do more of.

Serving is something few people are perfect at, and the only way to get perfect is to practice alone for many many hours.

7. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    You can do this [video=youtube;up5M-mirAcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI&list=PL487B40F6393CAD01[/video]

Try to aim doing it non stop 30 min without rest. But for the first times 5 min should be enough. Don't overdo it, think at your heart. And while doing it imagine rally's like in a real game and react like in real game with shadow stokes.
    This will make you faster on court and give you a better "feel" for the size of court, so that you instantly know if a shuttle is going out or not--> saves energy. And think about being in balance and doing the split step before you change direction (for the next corner).
    To improve you benefits of this practice even more, look at a video of a pro player like Lin Dan, LCW, Long Chen (at best someone who has a similar size than you) in super slow motion before doing this practice. And look at every detail they do to run in a specific corner (which feed is where at the ground by doing stroke X at corner Y) even the arm movements racket arm and non racket arm). And you will see that they are always in the air (maybe only 0.5 cm) and in balance when their opponent is doing the stroke.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Serving - grab a lot of shuttles and experiment with the serve and how smalls changes affect the flight of the shuttle. Practice consistency of placement of the shuttle.

9. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

it's not pathetic to want to improve your game, this shows your passion and eagerness to learn and do your homework. beside practicing on court with shadow, footwork and serve like everyone else has recommended, you could also consider doing a lot of off court practice like running and cycling (for stamina and endurance), chinese steps, rope skipping (for speed), weight training, finger, wrist, forearm strengthening (for strength), hitting the shuttle against the wall,etc. doing these training as homework will really give the boost for your physical fitness and performance on court while you develop your psychological and mental aspect of your game playing against stronger and better opponents. for stroke and racket skill it's better to get a partner to be a shuttle feeder to drill areas that you want to work on ^^

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This drill is definitely the best one out there in my opinion :) I love this one. For anyone interested, the professional in the video, Peter Rasmussen, was one of the best movers the game has ever seen. Watch a video of him in the 1997 World Championship MS final against sun jun - Rasmussen is incredibly quick for the whole 2+ hours of the match, and has a phenomenal smash! A great player in his own right - look no further if you want an excellent example :)

11. Malmortius

Unfortunately i have no friends so i have no one to help. Hitting the shuttle against the wall is a good idea.

I'm booking a court for 2 hours tomorrow so ill start with 30 minutes footwork, then maybe 30 minutes serving, 30 minutes against the wall/smashes/netshots and again 30 minutes footwork?

I think my footwork needs improving most.

12. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

one suggestion i have...

i find it very useful to make services in the pause of shadowfootwork

when i train without partner i do footwork-services-footwork-services-footwork-services

so you practice services while you are recovering for next footwork unit

13. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    I rented a court for a few times strictly to practice my footwork and serves. I find that if I didn't practice my footwork consistently, it just tends to slip away. Just a thought.

14. Malmortius

Thats a great idea! So you can mix the two.

Today was fully booked so i have 2 hours on Sunday instead. I've been practising in the back garden today.

Its actually very fun to consistently practise your footwork while doing different shots. The scissor kick is extremely useful and feels fluid.

15. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    You can practice drives, net shots and defense shots at home while playing against the wall.
    Just put a line (virtual net) (line of wool, tape etc..) at wall 155cm from ground and at 165 cm from ground. just try to play every shot in this window of 10cm above the net.

For net shot you go near the wall and try to hit the shuttle from slightly below the "net" (forehand, backhand, slice...),
    for drives you go near the wall and try to play volley with the wall (hit harder in front of body at "net" height, you can do forehand and backhand drives alternately)
    and for defense you go a little further away from "net" and hit hard in this 10 cm window (forehand and backhand defense)

For the other shots you need a training partner. And If a shot is not working how it should, go watch the video of a pro player (slow motion (vlc player can do it)) try to get every detail, do your stroke action a few times without shuttle. The go on court practice, if still is something wrong watch again , correct it etc.. When you finally think the stroke action is right practice it with lots of repetitions ( but don't repeat a wrong stroke action)

16. Malmortius

I wouldn't think shuttles have enough bounce to deflect off the wall.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

It does if you hit it hard enough. ;)

18. visor

visor Regular Member

19. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

with my experience,practicing alone for physical fitness maybe will only boost 30% of my game, doing racket skill with drills and teamwork formations, strategies can add another 30%, another 30%is from mental and emotional aspect gain by playing against advanced players, handling pressure playing local league or tournaments, etc, everything is contributing to each other. seeking advice or tutorial from coaches or trainers can definitely be beneficial for your progress. in my area we usually ask information from racket shop owners, there are some prefecture or national ex-players in our are who later own racket shop, become official stringers and certified coaches, they also help train young players at clubs and give coaching camp/clinic. just a reminder there are so many recreational players who arent able to get to advanced level after so so many years playing because lacking fundamental, poor forms, and their level usually end up going nowhere. lessons in technique and stroke drills can help you to get to the higher level of the game (^o^)

20. Malmortius

Well guys, that was the best practise ive ever had. I improved my footwork so much(Since before, i'd never had a court to myself so i didnt bother practising footwork specifically) In the beginning i felt my movement was awkward, but after the 2 hours were up i felt like i glided much better and im going to be able to get to shots easier when i do more.

I think i overdid it though. After i got out i was nauseous and so close to vomiting, and thats never happened before. When i got home i passed out for an hour because i was so tired. I think its because i exerted so much more energy when moving like that, whereas in the past i've only ever stood around but still lunged for shots (not to mention i won't be doing those motions for more than an hour in the future)

I did about 45 minutes constant footwork to each corner of the court, then about 15 minutes serving, 15 minutes practising my racket swing then the rest of the time practising my backhand on the wall and more footwork, starting with a serve.

Thanks for the tips, im going to do it again next week. Having a whole court to yourself is so useful.

#20 Malmortius, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014