Jump smash question: Hitting from the top third of string bed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DigitalDNA, Dec 5, 2014.

1. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Hi All,
    This is my first post in this section, and apologies if the answer to this question has already been given as part of another thread, but here's the issue: I'm a low intermediate level player, and can hit a good variety of shots (standing smashes, drives, clears etc.) I am now practicing the jump smash, and I realized I seem to be consistently hitting the top third of the string bed on my shots; somewhere between the sweet spot and the frame. I use a headlight racket with fairly low string tension (about 23 lbs).

Would it be better to continue practicing with the same technique till my timing improves? Or should I be jumping earlier or later? Also, I noticed this occurs mostly when the shuttle is falling straight (ie. from a high clear).

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    You should improve so you can hit with the sweet spot for a smash. It's your timing that need to be improved.

Maybe the jumping, or maybe the stroke.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Just practice lots. 10,000 jump smashes later, you won't be miss timing them.

4. DigitalDNA

Business Analyst
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to also try moving to a balanced/slightly heavier racket to see if it helps my swing speed and timing. Any drills you'd recommend I could do to improve my timing? Like tossing a shuttle high and trying to jump and touch it with the racket sweet spot? I usually only play games, and my friends would run away if I asked them to do practice drills :)

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Just to point out - changing your racket wont help or fix your technique. Only training and coaching will fix your technique. Save the money, don't get a new racket, just get a private lesson - much better use of money.

For help with timing drills, I suggest you just do some regular overhead hitting drills with a very relaxed hitting style - just focus on being relaxed. This is not something you can practice by yourself on a court - do it during your pre-game warm ups! I would suggest you focus on your general timing whilst jumping (i.e jumping up high and hitting steep downwards). Its best to use half smashes and fast drops and slowly crank up the pace to 3/4 smashes and then full smashes.

But all of this practice is wasted if you keep switching rackets - you won't ever get a feel for whats working better or not. Just stick with ONE racket, and then practice lots - remember to reach up high and stay relaxed!

6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    MSeeley's right as usual. One can only improve with proper practice. Buying rackets gets you new toys though. :)

If I did this, I'd be in a wheelchair after perfecting my jump smash. :D

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Matt's a coach, so if course he'd advise coaching lessons. :p

If you asked Yonex, they'd say get the ZSpeed or the VTZF2 ... ;)

8. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Whenever someone mentioned jump smash, I involunteerly reach for me knee.... is it still painful ? :)

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    So true on both aspects, Visor!

I don't like watching the around the head shots by WS players. Every time I see one, it reminds me of Sayaka Sato's injury, even though her's wasn't an around the head.

10. DigitalDNA

Business Analyst
    [MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION]: Point taken,I've got used to the feel of my old racket anyway, and I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas: One set of coaching lessons :) I can do jump drops and stick smashes pretty well already, it's just the full swing that I need to time right.

Already got a new racket as an impulse buy though :rolleyes: It's a nice new Bonny Black Mamba II, woven and the works...guess the forum will have a review of a nice, though rare racket then :) And I'm planning to get it strung with BG68Ti or the much maligned VS850.

But 10,000 smashes? :( Think I'd better go say bye to my girlfriend, she isn't going to be seeing a lot of me after work and on weekends :p
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: Lol so true, I'd imagine my discussion with a Yonex rep (YR) being something like this:
    Me: I'd like to jump smash better, maybe break the world record for fastest smah
    YR: Oh that's great, we have this new racket that LCW spent hours helping us reasearch...$500 only, and guaranteed to make you a smash God.
    Me: Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of a Fu HF though...I play doubles
    YR: No worries, we have here a full MH/HS kit...in dazzling pink with neon yellow...please get the whole set, towels, socks, wristbands, or we can't guarantee you'd get any better. Oh, and one of the fancy new NBG strings as well.
    Me: Bah, humbug :p

Thanks for pitching in, everyone.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    At 10,000 smashes you are a professional, so maybe start lower :) like... 20?

Good luck to you :)

p.s. try doing the jump half and 3/4 smashes - it will help!