Is it worth learning to jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Considering I am 37 not going to be pro, although I do want to get to an advanced level, do you think its worth learning to jump smash?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Most people jump a little for a smash.

When you mention advanced level, what reference level is this? County level? District league? Tournament circuit?

Singles or doubles?

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I am almost 10 years older than you. Jump smash drains my energy quickly (very quickly). The angle and power gained don't compensate the points lost toward the end of the games. Jump smash makes me feel good after hitting a few "real good" ones; but rarely helps me win games. It is the shot selection helps me win games. You should learn to jump smash, but be aware that in single, it is the net skills that determine the outcomes.
    Another thing about jumping.... how good are your knees ?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're quite fit and have excellent footwork, I say go for it. Especially in doubles.

Just be prepared for the inevitable counter attack though, especially if your opponents are at advanced levels of play.

Jump smash is only useful if you're fast enough to get behind the shuttle. If you get a good enough timing and transfer of body weight into the strike, you'll get a good power boost in your smash. Mix it up with some deceptive half smashes and fake smash drops when you're jumping, then you'll be very effective.

Just be prepared to get tired.

5. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Well said .. Visor!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Excellent footwork? The OP says he wants to reach advanced level. Hence, my questions on clarification.:)

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Even how good you are, it is indeed lethargic if all your smashes are returnable, alone if most of that smashes is a jump smash. Even if the execution of such jump smash for the first time is a winner by itself, the energy needed for your backward movements, jumping and landing requires a lot of physical energy and strong legs. In a box, if you have the physical fitness and agile footwork as well as your smashing qualities are very good then it's beneficial to do it and strategically important to make it as your weapon as well.

Another important factor that you should consider about jump smash is that an effective jump smash also depends on when is the effective timing to execute one. Done at the right moment of time when such smash is done only if there is a huge window to gain a winning point will reserve your energy very much.

SS

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Hence my jump smash is saved for only those front half court kills. :p

9. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    I used to jump smash when I was playing on high school team. 20 years later, as much as I want to try, I rather preserve my knees and joints. Like previous posts had mentioned, it is more important where you place your shots and deception that will win the game.

10. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I've lost count of the times myself or someone has failed a net kill because of trying to do a jump smash. Lol

Anyway do try to jump smash as much as you can but only if it improves your chances of winning a point and only if you're fit enough.
    I can probably smash just as hard standing on the ground and jumping only gives me a slightly better angle downwards.
    I've seen so many techniques of smashes and some of the jump smashes I've seen are terribly ineffective and inaccurate that I wonder why they're actually trying to do a jump smash.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Lol, yeah, a missed jump smash net kill is most embarrassing... :p

Even if only for the weight transfer into the shuttle, a slight jump smash is still better than having both feet planted on the ground.

12. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Very hard to answer without knowing the level of play of the OP.
    Do you have a video of yourself playing? Then it would be easier to judge whether the jumpsmash is a good weapon for you or whether you'd better concentrate on other things first.

13. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    At the age of 37, it is not worth learning Jump Smash. The question is whether you want to win-a rally, a game, a match or want to enjoy your badminton for years? If your answer is not the first choice, then it is a "No".

But there are players who can do this and sustain-good for them. My partner is one among them-He jumps at any given opportunity & creates lot of opportunities for me to finish the rally from front. On the other hand, I , being 35+, with reconstructed knee, 6ft tall & 96 kilos, make a very small hop (Can't really call it a jump) and try to maintain the attack-create opportunities.

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You have received some good advice. I want to add something I consider important:

Having a jump smash isn't necessary to be considered an extremely advanced player.

Now, given that there is no more pressure to learn to play a jump smash (you don't need it to get where you want to be), is it still worth considering? In my view, its the wrong thing to focus on.

I personally have never trained to play a jump smash. What I have done is tried to play faster and move faster. When I started doing that, I realised that sometimes I wanted to jump up and take the shuttle earlier - because I wanted to either put more pressure on my opponents or hit a steeper shot. This included smashes and drops and fast drops and clears.

As I trained more at a higher pace, this desire to hit the shuttle earlier and sometimes harder meant I would leap from base out to the deep corners. Why? Because I could. Once I realised I could, I started doing it more. When I am at the very back of the court, I still only use a standing smash - I am not going to hit crazy angles with a jump smash from the backline - I only really use it when the lift is more around the mid court - the angle helps me hit more steeply. None of this makes me advanced - I move quick and have good racket skills - thats what makes me difficult to play against.

And where people with a big jump smash can be difficult to play against, its only because they have all those other things (good defence, good footwork, speed, stamina) that makes them difficult to play against.

My advice: just practice lots, particularly movement. That will get you to an advanced level. p.s. the best player in our league is 40 - but he is amazingly fast and has an incredible defence. He wins all his county matches easily. He cannot smash "big", but he does smash well and his speed gets him to take the shuttle early.

Good luck!

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Thanks for peoples replies Ill try to answer your questions.

First Ill say why I am asking this question. I can out manouvre opponents but my main weakness amongst my peers is my smash I too often have resort to stop drops to win rallies.

My current level is probably lower level 2nd division at doubles, in leagues that have 4 divisions. Sorry I know this isn't much help in describing my ability to people outside the UK.I am better at singles and singles is my current favorite due to the emphasis, at lower levels anyway on footwork and deception.

I am fit lightweight and have good stamina.

I would like to enter bronze type tournaments and compete and play 1st division league badminton.

Yes agree a video is always best way to gauge someones ability but for various reason I don't want vids of me on the internet sorry.

16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I know what standard you are describing - no, you do not need a jump smash to progress from where you are to the level you want to play. You NEED to make sure you have excellent defence - this is what will allow you to beat people in those bronze tournaments.

You also need to ensure you have an excellent base level of fitness and good movement. You need to make sure you have no obvious weaknesses e.g. make sure you can hit a good backhand clear, good stable serve etc.

I know where you are with your smash - you think it is ineffective so you don't use it much. You NEED to start smashing lots and lots and lots. It will make your other shots better - but for the next few weeks, just practice your standing smash and make sure to use a relaxed hitting action, focussing on the speed of the racket at contact (rather than body weight/full body rotation etc). Make sure the racket action is compact and smooth, and doesn't overly use your body. You can then start to introduce the body rotation by properly using your non racket arm. Keep practising that smash! I understand!

And... you are not going to like this... relying on your deception now is going to stunt your smash development, and will not work against a fast opponent unless you develop your smash more. Stay away from the deception, focus on the smash and get some extra "pop" on it (just stand and get behind the shuttle and swing fast - nothing fancy - just get the timing right). Once you have developed your smash, introduce the deception again, but make sure you always use the smash MORE than the deception - otherwise the deception becomes ineffective.

Good luck!

17. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Totally disagree :p

Tired? Depends on your fitness n leg strength levels

Impact on winning? If u use it right YES!

Injury ? Its not how u jump its how graceful u land. Ask cats and planes

Cheers

18. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    come on! you're birdman, you gotto be able to jump smash!!!!

Seriously though, learn to jump smash. learning a new skill is always worth it.
    not saying you have to use it and jump smash everything!! but having the skill is a plus, why not learn it?

19. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I'm a 30 years old and jump smash was never, literally NEVER on my training list when i started badminton 14 years ago. My level is considered Intermediate and only play few university leagues, local tournaments, and mostly for leasure activities. YET, i couldn't remember the first time i did jump smash during my 14 years of badminton. Today, at every session i'll "unconciously" perform several jump smash before running out of juice. I also have the tendency to get behind the shuttlecock ASAP, which probably why i need to jump and reach out for the shuttlecock impatiently. My advice is, rather than focusing on special jump smash, footwork and agility is probably on the top-3 of what you should focus. Try to make a habit to get behind the shuttlecock even before it passes to your ground. Jumping will eventually come out after that. Play basketball also helps for your jumping reflexes.

20. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    He is clearly asking whether to learn it NOW. The reason you don't learn a jump smash first is there is other more important stuff to learn - is a jump smash more important than the other things he needs to learn to reach is goal? No.

Would it help to be able to jump smash one day? Of course - as you say, the more skills you have the better! But there are so many more important things to learn first! e.g. a decent standing smash.