When playing doubles, after you smash...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kamalbensra, Nov 29, 2014.

1. kamalbensra

kamalbensra Regular Member

Hi all,

A question I have. After one smashes when playing doubles, should he or she remain behind or come back and square? I know there is probably no single answer to this, but with different players, I've had to do play differently. Generally though, when playing doubles, after I smash, I think I should remain at the back. Is this usually true?

Kamal

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
  3. kamalbensra

kamalbensra Regular Member

Hi Opikbidin,

Thanks for your reply. =)

So what you mean is I should square with my partner after I smash (run back to the midcourt area of my side of the court and my partner does the same for his side)?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Depends...

On...

How good your smash is.
    How good your partner is.
    How good your opponents are.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Yes, That's the basic, but after that, you need to anticipate where the shuttlecock is going to go. and don't run, use quick relaxed steps.

For a beginner, start from the middle, but in more advanced levels, both of you should lean more to the side where the shuttle is going (the straight return). But in your mind, you are more prepared for the cross return,

this is taught in one of LJB's video(youtube:coaching badminton), but I don't remember the link: it's 70-30 in body and mind. Your body is positioned for the straight return, but your mind is more prepared for the cross return

This is something that should be drilled, Because often the partner just stares at you and doesn't cover the front, or you just stay at the back and don't prepare for the next shot, which is wrong.

I need to put emphasis on this: LEARN THE RIGHT WAY!
    get the basics right first. both you and your partner.

here is also a good video for basic tactics for doubles:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc8IYi5MzU4

particularly the rotation part after a diagonal lift:, look from 12.51
    so If you smash from a corner than the opponent lifts it to another corner, it is the front player that should be the one chasing the shuttle, and the rear player coming to the front.

this is an important tactic that is usually forgotten and results in many cheap points because the rear player doesn't have the speed to go from corner to corner, especially after a forced smash.

#5 opikbidin, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Level doubles or mixed doubles?

In level doubles, usually you have to stay at the back and move horizontally across because most of the replies can be a straight lift back or a cross lift back. In case of drives or a net return, you will adjust accordingly depending on where your partner has moved to cover the gaps.

In mixed, you have to judge (if you are the male player smashing from the back). If your partner is not moving fast enough, then you have to rush to the front or back to your respective half of the court to prepare for various shots. But for most of the time, you are probably at the back because the replies will be lifts to the back. For the female player at the back smashing, you will most likely stay at the back because your opponents will keep lifting it back and target you unless your smash can really kill (which is rare or your opponent is really bad at defense, lol).

7. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

The most basic formations for doubles

Attack formation : front, back

Defend formation : left, right

Of course there is more to doubles rotation than this, but this is the most basic formation that should be in your mind.

When your team does a lift, go left right. When your team gets a chance to attack, the non attacker takes over the front and pressures the opponent so they can't recieve the attack easily.

If you haven't learned how to rotate in doubles, start off with this. When you get the hang of it and get to know your partner better, start doing more advanced rotation strategies with your partner.

Oh and another important thing, let's say you're not the person smashing, and you're covering the front court.
    Make sure to bend down a bit so you don't get in the way of the shuttlecock.
    Also, don't just stay in front like you're not paying attention. Just like opikbidin said above, you have to look at your partner who's in the back and replace him when the opponent keeps lifting. Your partner isn't gonna be able to take 4-5 continued lifts by himself.

And when you're defending left right, the shuttle that comes to your half of court is yours to take.

Simple summary

Lift : defense : left, right : cover half courts each

Your attack : attack position : front, back : back person attacks, front person pressures opponent and covers front

8. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Great information guys.. :)

What about doing fast exchanges between the 2 teams. left right or front back?

9. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

i would say that side by side formation would be the best option

10. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Exactly.
    Left right is the best position for defense (unless one person's defense is awful)
    Front back is the best position for attacking

You and your partner have to learn how to naturally switch between these two positions

11. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Finally got my lazy heart moving my hand, here is from Zhao Jianhua:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPhzo6CsJU&index=49&list=PLEBDE1E42B3A9BC37

Initially left and right, but once you get the shuttle down and trouble your opponent, the one that made the shot must move forward while his partner covers