A couple of questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ltjrpliskin, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ltjrpliskin

ltjrpliskin Regular Member

Hello guys, I think this is my first post here. (I read the forums quite a lot)

I started taking badminton seriously a few months ago, but I realised I have the hitting technique wrong. I don't concentrate power at the moment of impact and have just been swinging hard at the shuttle. Anyway, here are my questions:

1) I read that when you hit your overheads, you have to concentrate all the power at the moment of impact - so I shouldn't be exerting any power after the impact?
    Also, is there any practice I can do at home to ingrain the correct overhead hitting technique?
    (I can't clear full court to full court yet, but i think this is because of my wrong hitting technique)

2) For the smash, LJB changes the grip by 10 degrees from the normal. Is this grip also okay for the clear?

3) Should I move my grip lower on the handle when playing power shots and higher up when playing net shots?

4) Regarding finger tightening, I notice that you don't have to do it consciously, it just happens by itself if you try to concentrate the power at a certain point. Is this the same for you too?

5) When you do the split step where should the centre of gravity be when I land? (more leaning forward etc)

6) Why is it in the split step your right foot should be slightly in front of your left (for a right hander)?

I think I should give a little bit more information about myself, like one of the stickies say:

I am 20, male, 5ft 11 and around 71kg. I use plastic shuttles and my racket is a very old Carbonex 410, restrung half a year ago, but the strings are starting to cut where the vertical and horizontal cross - might need to sort this out.
    I haven't had any coaching and I can't afford any at the moment, so I pretty much learn from the internet. I am only able to play 1-2 times a week as I have other commitments. That is all I can think of for now.
    I hope I haven't broken any rules by creating this thread!

Thank you for your help in advance :)

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Some quick answers:

1) Ideally, you should be relaxed before the hit, and relaxed after the hit. Think about relaxing rather than "power". Personally, I would practice by extending my arm high into the air (but keep it relaxed) and practice relaxing the wrist so that the racket flops backwards and then squeezing tight so that the racket snaps upwards to hit the shuttle and then relaxes and the racket flops forwards.

2) Make sure you use the correct grip - I personally would always teach basic grip, but many prefer LJBs altered grip. Do whatever you want - after you've hit 10,000 clears, you will have changed the grip to whatever works for you, but it should be somewhere around these two grips.

3) For now, use the "long" grip for clears - if you want to change for shots around the net e.g. drives/pushes and defence and net shots, thats ok - but the long grip is more important than the short one.

4) Yes. Its easy:)

5) It should feel that you are sitting down low inbetween your two legs, with knees bent to 90ish degrees. In order to achieve this low position, you will need your body to be very "upright" and perhaps slightly forwards. You should have the weight on the balls of your feet, not your heels.

6) Because its the best way to reach every corner with the fewest number of steps. The reason you have a wide stance is so that you are low and can move left and right easily. The reason you have a foot slightly in front is so you can push forwards and backwards too. Having the racket foot forwards offers benefits for movement by reducing the number of steps need to reach the shuttle

e.g. with right foot forwards, to get to the front two corners you need to step left then right (two steps only), but the other way around, you would probably need three steps (right, left, right). For the backhand round the head corner, right foot forwards gives you an easy one step movement (just pivot on left foot and take large step backwards with right leg). With the left foot forwards, you would need to play a backhand or take a large number of steps (probably three rather than one). Right foot forwards DOES make the deep forehand back corner harder to get to - but you have more reach on the forehand side, so can more comfortably "reach" for the shots (or learn to move well!).

Hope that answers your questions - more details will probably follow from others.

3. ltjrpliskin

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful!
    Especially 6). I didn't think that it would affect the movement so much.

A follow up question for 2):
    Why do you teach the basic grip for overheads over the forehand grip?

Am I right in thinking that Son Wan Ho also uses the forehand grip for his overheads?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I also go for basic grip first. It's very 'safe' in that you won't do much wrong with that grip.

It also allows switching to a forehand grip or a backhand grip more easily.

I know one guy who likes to say he had trials for his country's junior squad. Nice hitting action with a forehand grip. So we'd hit one or two shots to his forehand. Then quickly switch the play to his backhand. Very easy to force the error or a weak shot ...

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I teach the basic grip because its what I use and it works very well for the majority of players. The important thing is to practice lots!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For persons starting off in the game, it is very common that they they do not turn the shoulders enough when preparing. You can practice this at home.

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Important facts has much been covered here as far as referring to all your above questions. Just to highlight other basic facts as an advice for a beginners :

1. Your approach

Learn yourself to have the mental habit to approach the birdie at it's earliest opportunity. Have the conscious initiative to go for the birdie rather then waiting it come to you. This will allow you to open a more wider and faster window of shot selections and reducing any errors especially at the front court.

2. Your hit

Learn yourself to have the correct technique to make all your hit 100% valid first and then stepwise improving the other qualities that comes with it (accuracy and power) rather then focusing on the area of power first. If you can't consistently align properly the trajectory your all your hits under normal swinging strength then adding power will just make the deviation thus error even greater and this will be very frustrating especially for a beginners who is trying to learn how to improve himself playing badminton

3. Your moves

As you learn how to improve your footwork movement techniques and agility, always remember that the outcomes in any of your movements is also determine from how well is your initial preparation to do that movement. Be bouncy on your foot and legs before moving for any shots. This can make your initial movements more responsive rather feeling the sense of heaviness or glued to the floor.

4. Your hitting zone

While improving in your swinging technique and footwork, learn to recognize where is the hitting zone in which you should hit the birdie correctly. It should certainty be in front of you and not on top of your head and definitely not at the back of your head. Knowing this will allow you to do an optimal contact with the birdie with a full swinging arc that can deliver the birdie with a higher better outcome.

5. Your tool

IMHO,find a new racket and for a beginner and as far as searching a new racket if you can afford one is concern, try to find a racket that you feel easy to your arms while performing all your swings. A light and flexible will most likely can be a start and having such user friendly racket can allow you to focus more on improving your swinging technique. As your swinging and forearm strength has improved, then it is wise to upgrade to more suitable racket specification.

6. Your physical

Do skipping and jogging to improve your cardie-respiratory fitness. Swimming is great as well. If you have time and there are facilities, for muscle tone and strength, go to the gym and seek advice from any instructor what routine to do for wrist, forearm and legs exercise.

7. Your training

If you can't go for a formal coach then gather all the correct training drill information and do some training with your colleagues. If you have the opportunity to play with a better player, play with him and seek advice from him as well.

Happy badminton and may the BC force is with you.........and you haven't broken any rules......

SS

8. visor

visor Regular Member

good advice already...

best to get a coach

but if you're quite observant, pay attention to pro games, especially slow motion parts and try to emulate them

then practice drills with a partner concentrating on one technique at a time until you get good at it

get some help and suggestions from an advanced player if you can

9. ltjrpliskin

Thank you guys for all your tips!
    Thank you shooting stroke for the additional information you provided! :)

I had a chance to play earlier today, and I experimented with the grips for my overheads.

Here is what I found:

I could actually clear baseline to baseline using the LJB Forehand grip quite easily. The sound was very satisfying too!
    However when I tried using the basic grip, it didn't work out as well. I think it is because I have to pronate more with the basic grip, which throws off my timing.

Since this is more of a technique issue, should I continue working on hitting overheads with basic grip? Or should I concentrate more on what is more comfortable for me?

10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

hi itjrpliskin, sorry for hijacking your thread.

I'm paying attention to this thread as I'm also a beginner. what is the difference between a basic and forehand grip? is there any pic or vid to show the difference clearly?

11. ltjrpliskin

Hey there lodoss, Here is the video that shows it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEAI7m-bQ8
    although i am not sure how clear it is.

The basic grip is what LJB calls as "neutral" grip.

Hope that helps. :)

12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

thanks ltjrpliskin. there's so much knowledge for this game. beside watching the video, i should ask my coach or buddies to show me.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Work on what is more PRODUCTIVE for you. It seems that you've got it the right there already and now you just need to improve more on your other hitting qualities (accuracy etc). Practice regularly and you will improve much.

As for a beginner in this sport, no doubt that sometimes there are so many technicality details that you want to know as part of the knowledge for your own self improvement. IMHO, it is indeed important for you to know what is the correct way to play so that you can play correctly but don't get stress up about the technicality details so much and enjoy the game more.

SS