Best schedule/routine for training U5 years old?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by arfandy, Nov 19, 2014.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear BC,

I need some input as to the best way for scheduling some training for Under 5 years old kids (pre-kindegarden), both boys & girls.

0. How many days/week should the kids play/train on court? Once a week? Twice a week? Thrice a week?

1. How many hours of game/play will the body able to withstand/session?

2. What kind of training should be OKAY for them to learn first, without hurting them? Physical/fitnese training (e.g running, jumping, upper body training, arm training, shadow step, split step, ladder jumping etc) or skill training (e.g. gripping the racket, throwing the birdies, hitting the wall/balloon, hitting the birdies?).

4. For U5 years old, GRIP size G5 is small enough or should i get G6 grip (e.g Victor BS12L)?

5. For U5 years old, how do i know the WEIGHT of the racket is sufficient enough for them to yield? Should i choose 3U, 4U, 5U, or 6U racket?

6. For U5 years old, what is the recommended beginner STRING TENSION?

7. Since it is quite difficult to find badminton shoes for U5 kids (probably almost impossible to find them in many sport shops), what kind of shoes would just be fine for them to wear?

Thank you for any suggestion.

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

best training for U5?
    my best guess would have to be "potty"
    but i didn't know that there were kids who actually trained U5
    i was under the impression that training was very leisurely U5 O_O

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's quite hard to do systematic badminton training for under 5 year old. I have tried :)

They can have very short attention spans it depends on the individual child.

You are correct in that doing other exercises will help overall coordination. Jumping into circles, running, obstacles running are good.

Throwing and catching shuttles are good. Balloons are good practice aids.

1h sessions are long enough. Difficult to keep concentration for more than 45mins. If they don't get bored after that, you might have that special 'one'.

Weight of racquet is not important. It is the length. At three years old, you need the short racquet.

At 5 years old, it depends on their hitting ability. If they can rally (say 10 shots) and judge distances, then move up to standard length. Otherwise, you would need to use the slightly shorter than standard racquet length.

In HK, many coaches are a little wary of training 5 and under. Basically a bit difficult to keep the attention span. Of course, it depends on the child but at six years old, they are more consistent.

String tension? Surprised this question even needs to be asked. If you can get the child to successfully do overhead action and hit the shuttle, that would be doing well. Expecting a 5 year old to do a 3/4 length clear would be too ambitious.

Indoor trainers will do. Kids badminton shoes only start to fit around 6 years old.

5. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

My nearby elementary school has a Elite program for their students. When I play they're always training on the court next to me (Our gym has like...14-16courts. A lot of space). Sometimes I play doubles matches with them for fun and they're pretty good. Most of Korea's National Team members start up like this in their elementary school programs.

So these are some things I could recommend.

1. Well...these kids practice for hours.....at this age they never know how to get tired :p But when they seem tired, stop doing drills and let them play friendly doubles matches with each other. Or you could bring someone else and do a singles match for them to sit down and watch. But just make sure they have a fun time. That's the key point.

2. Give them a habit of stretching before they start. Stretching is a very important thing to do before doing exercise so try to make them have a habit of stretching.
    Then, let them run a few laps around the gym(depends on gym size). Not full speed running but just a light jog.
    For those who are already fluent at hitting the shuttle without missing, start some basic drills. Clears, Drops is a nice thing to start off with. For those who aren't fluent at hitting the shuttle or those who have a bad posture, make them do shadow footworking for clears. Tying a shuttle on a fishing rod is a good tool too.

3, 4. No need for a good racket, string tension at the age of under 5......Just let them start off with recreational rackets. When they become older, give them a flexible racket with around 20lb tension. The elementary school bought a few nanoray 700fx for the older kids to use.(4-5th grade)

5, Any type of sports shoes would do for young kids. when they start to size up, badminton shoes would be needed.

There is no "training" for kids that young. Just let them keep their interest in badminton. Let them have fun. When they get up to elementary, that's when you should start training.

But if you DO want to know about more detail of the training program they do in our nearby elementary school...you can ask me any time.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Fun fun fun

Build focus interest and concentration

Activities that develop motor skills and sense of balance.

Cheers