Is there any training to play with both hands?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, Nov 7, 2014.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is something I've been training a bit this week. I've been activating my left arm since august and since it's bad to just play with my left hand (because of various reasons), I've been thinking to play with both hands since the start of this week
    (Don't ask me why I want to play with my left, it;s just a random thing and I just want to do it because I think it's interesting)

I've been training both my left and right at the same time, mainly weight training and just yesterday I trained the serve for my left.

Is there any training dedicated for dual-handers?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Do you change your footwork then?

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not really.

Short-term, it's a bit of fun but the results will be poor.

Long-term, playing with both hands wrecks your technique. You need to choose a hand and stick with it.

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Need to adjust the left part, But I've been working on how I always get to the forehand and almost no backhand for attacking shots.

5. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Why don't you try using your left hand for daily use and not only in badminton?
    Would speed up things :p

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Nope, it won't, or, it needs a long time, it's same like "play with your left and eventually you'll get used to it.
    I need training so I can use my Lefty quickly

7. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Well...I suggested you use your left hand in daily use and "not only" in badminton.

The thing is...if you need to use your left hand soon, there probably is no answer to being fluent with your left hand.

Teaching your left hand to play badminton like your right hand is like learning a new language. In learning a new language, you can't be fluent in it by just knowing the correct alphabet and words, you need to know their grammar, their culture reflected in the language and all that.

So to make your left arm play badminton, not only do you have to make the muscles stronger on your left arm, you need to train it for coordination, reflex, grip strength, durability and last of all, your brain needs to get used to it too.

Training would let you learn how to use your left arm faster than just letting it get used to it, but it would still need a LOT of time to play like your right arm.

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I have to ask: Why do you want to play with both hands?

And what will be next? Grab the racket with the right foot and walk on the hands? Would be similary silly...;-)

9. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    it's a random thing, and I do it mainly because I think it's interesting, but If I think about it. maybe these are some reasons:

1. Wider defense coverage
    2. No need to turn the body too much to do a hit in uncomfortable positions (like the left far corner for righties)
    3. No hands are switched off and are left dead.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I heard a Anita Kaur of Malaysia is pretty good with both hands.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The main disadvantage that I can see is the large amount of time it takes to switch hands - maybe in singles you might have time or benefit in some way. In doubles you will not have time.

The main problem that I can see, with learning with both hands, is that I now need to master all my shots with both hands, rather than just 1. And, to be clear, once I have mastered certain shots with one hand, I have no need to master with the other!

Good luck!

12. |_Footwork_|

1. Not true. You will not be fast enough to switch hands in defense situations.
    2. True to some extend. But my goal is to hit the best possible shot. Not the most comfortable one.
    3. True for badminton as general fitness. Don't care from the perspective of competition.

All in all, from a "fitness" perspective, there are some reasons to play with the left hand.
    From a "competition" perspective, it's just nonsense.

13. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I'm not switching, I aim to play with two rackets.

14. |_Footwork_|

That isn't allowed afaik...

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Many years ago, there was a popular badminton book (this one, I believe). The book said -- in a "did you know?" box -- that you can play with two rackets because the rules don't forbid it.

Just because the rules don't explicitly forbid something, doesn't mean it's allowed. The rules don't account for jet packs, leg springs, or powered exoskeleton suits. ;)

More recently, I had a player contact me via my website, asking whether he was allowed to play with a racket in each hand. Lacking a definitive answer, I thought I would ask the Badminton England coaching department for their opinion. Here's what they said:

#15 Gollum, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  16. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Wouldn't it just be amazing for those who can play badminton with either/both hands? Doesn't have to be on super-series level, but any intermediate player who can make good use for both hands,... that deserves some applauses! Tired of using VTZFii or TK9000, for repeteadly smashing with the right hand, then just change to left. That's pretty much how you utilize VTZFii raw power throughout the entire session if you are not LCW or LD.

17. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    What I've been doing for a while:

1. Doing "drawing infinite-8" with some weight on both hands, either parallel or opposite
    2. Hitting the wall with both hands using two rackets at the same time.

My left is still not on par with the right, but it's already more usable. At least I won't have any problems against very new noobies at the game

18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    But presumably you were struggling against these players when it was just your dominant hand?! :p Only joking ;)

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's more of a personal experiment rather than raising standards to beat people.;)

20. |_Footwork_|

Having just watched your videos in the video-thread, I'd honestly recommend you to fix your problems with your right hand first before even thinking about a second hand.
    Once you've passed your beginner-stage with your good hand, you might want to consider playing with the left "for fun"...