Herart rate

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Herzfrequenz, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Herzfrequenz

Herzfrequenz Regular Member

The question I want to ask is about heart rate. What is your HR when you play? What is the difference in HR between singles/doubles/mixed? Men/women?

Also it would be nice to know HR pro players play at? Like top international tournaments.

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Getti...ics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp

First Things First

Before you learn how to calculate and monitor your target training heart rate, you have to know your resting heart rate. Your resting heart rate is the number of times your heart beats per minute while it’s at rest.
    It’s best to check it in the morning after you’ve had a good night’s sleep and before you get out of bed. The average resting heart rate is 60-80 beats per minute, but it’s usually lower for physically fit people. It also rises with age.
    Hittin’ the Target

Now you’re ready to determine your target training heart rate. As you exercise, periodically:

Take your pulse on the inside of your wrist, on the thumb side.
    Use the tips of your first two fingers (not your thumb) to press lightly over the blood vessels on your wrist.
    Count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to find your beats per minute. You want to stay between 50 percent to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is your target heart rate.

Know Your Numbers

The table below shows estimated target heart rates for different ages. In the age category closest to yours, read across to find your target heart rate. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.
    Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
    20 years 100-170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
    30 years 95-162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
    35 years 93-157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
    40 years 90-153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
    45 years 88-149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
    50 years 85-145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
    55 years 83-140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
    60 years 80-136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
    65 years 78-132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
    70 years 75-128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Important Note: A few high blood pressure medications lower the maximum heart rate and thus the target zone rate. If you're taking such medicine, call your physician to find out if you need to use a lower target heart rate.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I wore my heart rate monitor while playing badminton before. During warm up drills my heart rate was in around zone 2-3, while during intense mixed doubles it was pretty spiky but at points it was pegged at the top of zone 4.

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    IMO, I think it;s similar between sports, and the general consensus is the same, although their might be a slight difference. so I think the 50-85% of the max heart rate is what we all should achieve in sports or training.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

LOL, the goal of badminton is to win rallies/matches. Not to attain some heart-rate level...
    At 50% you can walk on the court, but don't reach any shuttle. and at 85%, you won't win intense rallies either...

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure you get very close to your 100% max. heart rate in intese rallies.

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Good for you if you can do that.

I have asthma + eczema so I must maintain my breathing and try not to sweat too much or else it will be very painful because i have an "attack". That's why I'm the "cool" guy.

let's do the test, next time we play. do this:
    1. Take your pulse on the inside of your wrist, on the thumb side.
    2. Use the tips of your first two fingers (not your thumb) to press lightly over the blood vessels on your wrist.
    3. Count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to find your beats per minute.

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    My rest heart rate is 72, I'm 25 year old, how about yours?

Heart rate is one indicator of how intense our session in the sport are AND how good is our body condition.

I had a class in sport physiology and was told that if you are so easy to reach the 100% HR and cannot pull it down easily, that means your body condition isn't good. While if your HR don;t reach 100% HR easily and goes down to your normal rest HR quickly, that means your body condition is good

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/prevention/exercise/pulse-target-heart-rate

Normal Heart Rates at Rest: Children (ages 6 - 15) 70 – 100 beats per minute. Adults (age 18 and over) 60 – 100 beats per minute.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    fitness help win rallies. if you get tired easily, then your form and execution falls apart.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    around 47 bpm. and i am 40 yrs old. :)

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That is the heart rate of a runner and a biker! :cool:

.... or the heart rate of someone with a pathological heart block. :(;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :)

i think i hit the upper 30's when i was 25. not as fit as i used to be. :(

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

45-50 ish, sat down. BP's not bad, either;).

31 years old.

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I didn't mean that heartrate isn't a useful indicator for a lot of things! It is useful if you're into activities like running to enhance your general fitness!
    Badminton is a high interval, anaeorobic exercise. Therefore, the heart rate is absolutely useless in monitoring badminton (except for the sake of pure interest...;-)). Monitoring your heart rate in badminton won't help you! Monitoring your heart rate in running, cycling,... will help you directly.

fwiw: my rest rate is sub 50, I'm over 30 and would consider my fitness way above average...

14. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Do you have sources that say badminton is anaeorobic?
    I think Badminton has aerobic part too, especially if the match and rally goes on forever (hyperbole)

Running isn't only aerobic, 100 m sprints up to certain distances (Forgot, maybe 400 or 1000 m) mainly use the anaerobic system as it is faster.

Still it doesn't mean that HR isn't useful, as we know lactic acids needs to be pumped out, and the anaerobic system produces these in excess compared to aerobic, so having a good flow of blood really helps

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Most activities require both types of energy system. Badminton is slightly aerobic if played at a slow slow slow pace, but actually most badminton movements are fast and explosive. So badminton requires fast recovery after short and intense bursts of anearobic activity.

The fitter you are, the faster you will be able to recover (removing the lactic acid from the muscles). And generally, as you are fitter, the heart pumps stronger and more efficiently, and your blood carries more oxygen (which looks like it is a lower resting heartrate). The key for every sport is the recovery - after a spike in heartrate through high intensity explosive movement, can you recover quickly enough to play the next rally/game/match.

I have only recently started with a full fitness regime - really enjoying the extra power and endurance I have on court!

16. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It also needs that aerobic if played for a long time. I don't think the pace matters. What's important is the speed and the duration of a sport. Usually it goes like this:

More speed and explosiveness: more anaerobic
    Longer duration : more aerobic

and also the blood vessels are much cleaner and elastic (no blocks that can cause stroke like fat sticking onto the vessel walls)

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Im afraid its not as simple as that.

Some movements when performed are aerobic, and others are anaerobic. If its explosive movements, it is anaerobic. If you do this for 10 seconds, or an hour, its STILL anaerobic. But you will probably give up long before you manage to do those movements for that long.

Summary: longer duration does not make it aerobic. The fact is that certain movements are aerobic and, due to their nature as aerobic exercise, you are able to do them for longer (hence things like running are done for a long time - BECAUSE they are aerobic).

With all that in mind - of course there is some aerobic portion in badminton - as you said, it requires great endurance. However, it is mainly anaerobic.

Running/sprinting is a good example: 100m is anaerobic as its VERY explosive.
    200m is also very explosive (anaerobic).
    400m is less explosive, but still explosive in places e.g. start and finish.
    Marathon is not explosive - it is all about aerobic endurance - to just keep going at a constant pace most of the way, maybe including an anaerobic sprint finish.