Left-Hand, Right-Hand holding the racket.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by arfandy, Oct 30, 2014.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear BC,

Recently i just started to use my left hand, as opposed to my right hand (which is the main hand for holding racket). Temporarily or permanently my right hand is disabled to perform any smashes due to weeks of suffering tricep strain. Hence, i'm thinking to finally make good use of my other hand.

First try for 30 mins of hitting the birdies, i completely messed up. In term of power, my left hand is capable enough to perform high clear (1 good clear for every 5 hits), just OK drives, left-forehand return was very lousy when receiving smashes, left-backhand return was good enough to receive smashes. . What do i need to learn/know first thing? I've pictured every possible moves that my right hand was good at, but left hand just messed-up every single moves. In addition to that, my steps completely out of control... right foot is still taking charge for any explosive movement (i know it should've been left foot for left hand).

I did some shadow footstep for the lefty, but during the game.... righty foot was in control, despite my mind knew what footstep should've been moved first.

Thank you for any advices.

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is just my deep and wishful thinking, But if you really want to be serious in Badminton and doing other things, then play with your non-dominant hand, because it can be trained while you do other things.

That is by drawing an infinite, eight or circle using your arm, and I really mean your arm: Finger, wrist, elbow, shoulder, all these should be involved in the drawing motion.

draw one of the 3 (infinite, eight or circle) :
    1. Infront of you, train the net battle
    2. below you, train lifts and blocks
    3. Beside you, train your forehand and backhand shots
    4. Behind you, train shots that are made because you are late and lazy
    (you can also move your leg and body if just using the Fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder are insufficient)

Do it :
    1. Quickly
    2. Slowly
    3. Big motion
    4. small motion
    5. Semi-major axis of length A = semi-minor axis of length B (circle)
    6. Semi-major axis of length A <<<semi-minor axis of length B (very thin oval)
    7. by changing direction and speed suddenly (train your deception)

And if you feel no longer hurt and there is no weight, add some weight. My personal recomendation is to use a racket, although many will recomend to draw those 3 using a bottle.

My reason for using a racket is because you play badminton with a racket, not a bottle so use a racket so you really get the feel.

You also get to train the fingers that are usually neglected by using the bottle.

1. Use the lightest racket with the shortest handle most comfortable (that is 4U and grpping it by the cone)
    2. once you feel comfortable and no longer hurt, move down a little, train, feel comfortable, ....until you reach the bottom.
    3. Change the racket to 3U, repeat no.1 and 2, then change to 2U, do the same, and then to 1U.

The above will eliminate weight training and the "getting used" which takes a long time through playing many matches. Now you only need to apply the correct strokes for each shot.

For footwork, I think it's less challenging as Badminton isn't a kicking sport and doesn't use the feet to kick the shuttle, so by changing your mindset (if you know the right way) you'll be fine, although it takes some time.

So if your right hand is broken or you don't have much time to train with your right hand, I personally you just switch completely to your left hand.

#2 opikbidin, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's going to be tough.

Unfortunately, motor skills are not "shared" by your left and right side. They are developed in opposite halves of the brain, so having a skilful right hand does not help your left hand.

You will pretty much have to relearn everything from scratch, and unlearn all your old right-handed instincts. The footwork is particularly tricky.

I did this for a few months while recovering from shoulder surgery. At first I actually had my right arm in a sling on the badminton court! I was still able to play, but at a much lower standard. It was quite frustrating.

Personally, I would focus more on fixing your injury.

4. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Thanks for the advices. I've been focusing all physical workout solely on my left hand now (the dominant hand and still under resting period, which is the righty). However as said, motor skill on the lefty is ridiculously tricky and out of control. Footwork is good only when performing shadow step but hopeless on actual match. Whether i like it or not, playing with non dominant hand...i'll have to start from the scratch! Also,... need to watch more left hand players game as such lin dan, fu hai feng, mathias boe, etc.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would suggest that Gollum has given you the best advice - focus on your rehabilitation of your dominant hand than learn to play with the left hand. The reason for this is:

1) you will be a complete beginner again - nothing can save you.
    2) progressing with the left hand will not help you AT ALL when you return to playing right handed

So if you really want to play badminton, then carry on doing so, but it won't help you in the long run - much better to rest and recover!

Good luck!

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One thing I did like about playing left-handed is that it gave me an insight into what it feels like to be a beginner!

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I know what you mean - its quite humbling! Especially important for a coach to remember what it is like to start again!

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    There is an option to just mirror the video of right handed players so they look like they are left handers

9. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

If your right hand will become good again one day: Focus on rehab and footwork exercises. That will help you to become a better player once your fit again.

If the injury means your right arm will never be good again, I would quit playing. There's no chance I will ever be as good as I'm with my right hand. Therefore, I would concentrate on running, chess or whatever...;-)

10. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

(This is kinda off topic but just wanted to share a story :p)

I was at a doubles tournament and went against this guy who kept switching hands to do backhand shots :p (Most likely a both handed person)

I don't know if that's a legal thing to do but the judge didn't say anything about it but eh I won anyways :p
    It was kinda confusing at first though.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, it is.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it's allowed by the rules.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    err, I think Backhands are kinda weak for most people, why not forehands?