Get a coach?

Discussion in 'Singapore Coaching' started by lodoss, Oct 30, 2014.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I did not receive any proper coaching before. Hence I played like a novice beginner in the past. Over these 2 years, I have made some improvement through joining learn-to-play programs, and playing regularly (3 times a week now) with better/seasoned players. Despite this, there are still many bad habits of play which I have not changed, and from various posts/articles, I know that the only way forward is to engage coach for training.

Given my lack of stamina (I'm 38, overweight and a shorty :eek:), I would prefer group coaching. Any recommendation of coaches who is not too expensive and able to adjust training based on my physical attribute? Or if you are getting coaching, may I attend to see how the training is conducted?

I'm playing doubles by the way. Thanks in advance for comments.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This won't help answer your question directly, but...

You don't need good stamina to have individual coaching. Most of the work is technical, with lots of repetition to improve your hitting and moving skills.

Of course, there are some routines where stamina can help, but it will not be a limiting factor at this stage for you.

Group coaching can be fun, and is much cheaper. But for the best results, I would recommend individual coaching.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would agree completely with this statement. If your goal is technical skills improvement - get 1 on 1 coaching. Do not worry about the fitness side of it - learning to hit shots when completely out of breath is what this game is all about!

Good luck!

4. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Thanks, gollum and mseeley, for the comments and encouragement.

I'd look through this forum and ActiveSG for coaches.

5. Tayyy

Tayyy Regular Member

Player/Coach
    Hi, i have since started a group group session which is held every Friday in the evening, mostly around 4-6pm, at Clementi/Buona Vista area. Trainees included are mostly kids and beginners, so for any enquiries, feel free to PM me or drop me a text or call at 97733488! I also coach individuals West area preferred, charging $30 per hour excluding court. I believe i can help you with not only your skill-wise and basics, but also able to help you in your fitness definitely, helping you all-roundedly.

Cheers!

6. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

thank you. will keep your name in my notes.

7. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    At your age, you still have a lot of badminton years ahead of you. To make those years more enjoyable, learning to play properly is a must. Avoiding injury, having more playing partners and more fun are the benefits. You need to have a game play before sourcing for a coach. You need to know what you want to get out from a coach. Coaches all have different styles. Talking to them and spend time watching them coach before committing. Like any relationship, getting out is painful. Good luck.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I got student as old as 60 years old mate. Come come... ;) I got a slot at Yishun tonite 9pm if you want. ;) PM me. ;)

9. jindawjd

jindawjd Regular Member

Self-employed
  10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

thanks extremenanopower and jindawjd for the offer. i'd take into consideration.

11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

by the way, i'm playing doubles instead of single. is there any difference in training method? i notice that most coaches i have seen on the courts are training their student 1-1 (when in group, the others would queue for their turn).

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This would depend on the coach, yourself and your expectations.

If you do not have a good grasp of basic techniques, the coach (after discussing your aims) may elect to brush up these areas. Basic technique are good for both singles and doubles.

All doubles shots can be practiced with a one on one (or one on two) lesson.

Doubles rotation and tactics are better learnt with (one on two/three).

Personally, I think one on two coaching (twice a week) is good. supplement with another playing day and watching some youtube and you should see a very good improvement.

For one on three will also be good for doubles. However, there is less time to train shots and therefore, I would say to get the same benefit, one on three should have a continuous 2hour session.

13. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Cheung, thanks for the advice. :)