[VIDEO] Advice needed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelvin T, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Please Criticize My Videos

Hi everyone,

Just a little bit background about myself, I have play badminton for 2 and a half year. I have attended coaching sessions before to learn some basics. Unfortunately, what I wasn't able to implement it in my actual game. I play once or twice a week (sometimes I need to stop 1 or 2 months due to work). I have participated in the inter-academy matches voluntarily although I truly understand I am still a very bad player. So here are some records of my games, each player who took part need to play in singles and doubles (random selected partner). Both opponents that I play with are really much higher level than me, and I realized my game play and movements really awful (even feel hard to rewatch my own game :p).

Some may consider my level being too low despite I have attended coaching for approximately 1 and half year. But please feel free to criticize my game style, I will really love to learn and improve more.

Singles game links (I am the thin guy with spectacles):
    Part 1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7SiY_2QRWI&list=UU41KexQY-DkM8dQBweiRYCg

Part 2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8sEfFJJKC4&list=UU41KexQY-DkM8dQBweiRYCg&index=3

Doubles game links (I am wearing a red clothes):
    Part 1-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6u3Z0ZphA&list=UU41KexQY-DkM8dQBweiRYCg&index=2

Part 2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFUaiZ-qc4&index=1&list=UU41KexQY-DkM8dQBweiRYCg

Forgive my partner with the poor recording angle and without audio as well. Hope to hear and learn from the people here. If you could, please suggest on how to improve as well. Will truly appreciate it. :)
    Thanks.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Firstly, well done for posting up the video and asking for advice. It shows your desire to learn.

A first tournament is always difficult. I remember my first one and it wasn't pleasant. Your opponent is more experienced and also has better technique. Also, you are not quite sure of tactics i.e. where to hit the serve, what sort of replies to expect etc and this makes it very hard for you in this match. This is partly experience.

In order to improve, we need to know a little more about your coaching.

Are you focused on singles training?

How many people train with you? Is it a group class?

How often do/did you train? Is that additional to the once or twice a week that you wrote? Or is the once or twice a week the total sum of badminton that you get?

We can see fair number of technique weaknesses. Perhaps in social games you won't notice it so much but when it comes to a tournament, the differences become apparent.

As you can see, rather than criticise your technique, I am going back further to how your game developed - therein lies the key to improvement.

you may find some useful insights in this article below

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/bc/2014/02/18/do-i-need-badminton-coaching-is-it-effective-or-worthwhile/

#2 Cheung, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hey Cheung, thank you for your feedback. Well, I was coached under two different coaches before. First coaching lasted for almost 9 months, mainly focus on singles training and it was a private session with 2 of my friends. After that, both of them quit and I didn't attend any coaching for almost a year. Later on, I was under a group training for approx 5-6 people in the group, I think the training there mainly focus on doubles training as the coach focus a lot on flat drives, front coverage and so. Both trainings that I went previously is one week once and I have quit my training due to financial issue.

I play once or twice per week (not including the coaching session).
    Thanks. :D

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You have one serious weakness that you need to fix: your negativity. You are extremely hard on yourself; this will not help you play better. Don't say things like, "I truly understand I am still a very bad player". That is a terrible state of mind.

You might think, "that's easy for you to say, I bet you're a strong player". But there is always someone stronger than you, and there is always someone weaker than you. Absolutely everyone on these forums is a very weak player when Lee Chong Wei is on the other side of the net. ;)

You can always choose how you see yourself as a player. Choose to see yourself in a positive way. I'm not saying it's easy (I'm not very good at it myself), but it's an important skill.

So let's start by looking at a couple of your better moments:

Video 1 @ 2:10 -- nice footwork moving after your opponent's flick serve, using the scissor kick for balance and recovery. The good footwork helped you get power for that crosscourt clear, which won the rally.

And then immediately afterwards, the next rally, your opponent flicks to your forehand and you use two quick chasses to reach it. I would consider this an advanced movement and shot -- it's what I call a neutralising shot. It's certainly not something I would teach beginners, but you have developed it somehow -- either naturally or through coaching. I suspect naturally, given your overall level of play. This means you have some talent. :)

Actually, this is my favourite rally from you. For the whole rally you look very sharp and focused, and you take the shuttle early. Taking the shuttle early is very important in badminton. It completely changes your game. You made a mistake at the net in the end, but I don't care about that. You were playing the right way.

In the doubles game, ironically, I like the last rally of the game. Your service return is a calm push that makes the opponent lift. And then your movement off the shuttle is good. You are covering the front court well, adjusting your position for a channel attack. Most club players do this very badly.

Now what could you do better? There are always many things a player can work on. Here are some I noticed:

Net play. You are not confident around the net, so you rarely attempt net shots. That's a shame, because you are fast and good at moving forwards; you have many good opportunities for net shots. Try playing more simple, straight net shots. Then try getting them tighter.

Overhead hitting technique (clears and especially smashes). You are trying too hard. Try to relax a bit and let it "flow", rather than trying to force the power. Focus on accuracy first, and you will find the power improves too. Deliberately reduce the power until you are happy with the accuracy of your smashes. If you can hit consistently near the target (say, opponent's racket hip), then you are "allowed" to increase the power a bit.

Your grip for these shots could be improved too: it's too much pandhandle. Try using a forehand grip.

Court position: in singles, I think you are standing too far forwards much of the time. Maybe someone told you to recover to the centre after every shot? Your opponent often catches your with flat lifts that get behind you. Maybe try moving your base backwards one step. You don't have to go back to the exact centre every time; the base position is more varied than that.

One more thing, about your doubles opponent in the yellow shirt. He cheats on his serve a lot, especially the drive serves. I just thought you might like to know that. ;)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

OK. I would rate you as inexperienced. For example in the doubles game, early on, you got influenced by the audience. I noticed no line judges and in such situations, we, the player calls the shot.

Also, you are unable to predict what shot may be coming to you from the opponent. So you feel your reactions are slow. Again, this is experience that you need from playing many hours with other people. Let's say for an amateur, many competitors have, at some point in their lives, played four or five times a week at different venues. Playing with so many different people gets you practice at game situations and starts preparing you in how to approach a competitive match.

For the skills part, the coaching side is a bit tricky. To be good at singles, you need to have trained good technique and footwork. Because you really haven't trained for long, your techniques are not stable enough under the stress. Getting past the first round is a tough process and needs perserverance. All the coaches that I know agree that in order to keep up their standard in singles match play, it needs regular practice. At your level now, it will definitely need a coach and over a year of learning singles to help you get results. If you do decide to do that, make sure the coach knows your intention is to enter competitions as the mentality of training is different. A good singles player can play doubles quite easily but a good doubles player finds it harder to play singles.

It's doubtful you can improve the technique with only once a week group coaching. Perhaps the other route to improving is to play as many games as possible to understand where to hit the shuttle for gameplay.

A thing I noticed in Malaysia is that quite a few amateurs who haven't had coaching are pretty good at hitting the shuttle. However, the positioning and rotation with the doubles partner can be quite mediocre at times. These are areas to exploit, if you have the appropriate experience.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

[MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION]. Nice post. Interesting to note our different answers with the same information. Both compliment each other.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thank you. :)

I think your point about experience is important. Many of Kelvin's current difficulties are due to inexperience, as opposed to technique problems. Of course technique can be improved, but his technique is not too bad.

With more experience, he will learn to "read" opponents better and will not be caught out so easily.

8. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hey Cheung, thanks for pointing out some suggestions for me to improve. Of course, I think I truly understand the amount of practice and games will affect the game outcome. I got a training partner who goes to coaching class every week, although I can't afford for coaching temporarily. He have agreed to teach me what he learn from coaching. Therefore, we will usually be at the court an hour early and do some drills and practice.

@Gollum . Thanks for the 'kick' on the first comment, I truly understand I am overwhelmed by the negativity. I can't help myself in the game and constantly focusing on the real bad shots and overlook some good ones. But anyhow, thanks for pointing out some good rallies that I have failed to notice and the suggestions as well. Will really try to improve on it.

Actually I have a question for both of you, at this level should I focus on strength training, as I have a fairly thin physical build, would strength training help for now? Thanks. :)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You can do a bit of strength training but it seems you already have enough strength for the time being.

I think you have to correct that overhead action. I.e. better grip (too much pan handle now) And better preparation and better throwing action. It would be very hard to correct it in a few years time. Correcting it now would also result on you missing the shuttle alot. Ie. , temporarily get worse but expect to improve over the long term.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cheung is exactly right. :)

Improving your technique will make the biggest difference. Strength training can help a bit too, but it's not going to fix your hitting action.

11. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    @Cheung Thanks for the advice. Would there be any videos on how to train for overhead shots in Youtube where I could refer to? I have another question too, I hope I won't over bombarded you with questions. I was particular weak in my defense, I can't seem to lift the shuttle up when receiving a smash. Does it have anything to do with wrist strength or anything?

@Gollum Thanks a lot too. Just joined a club recently at the badminton hall where I use to play frequently. Been training and playing with a lot of people. Hopefully will get selected to play for friendly soon and I'll sure upload more videos on my game. Truly appreciate it. :)

#11 Kelvin T, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm. I don't refer to any particular coaching video. However, I do think the present crop of Thai ladies singles players have very good preparation and hitting action for overhead techniques. So they are good to try and copy. Of course, later on, you don't end up exactly with the same technique.

Defense requires you to have a relaxed grip, the correct grip and using the fingers to generate the swing. Timing of striking the shuttle is very important. Again, it's practice and experience. You practice receiving smash with a hitting partner but in a game, the smash is a bit different with a different opponent. So, again, you need the experience of many games.

13. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

You look just like the old version of me :p

I am no expert so these are just personal opinions based on how I improved my game.

You seem like you are a little late on decisions. (or you think too hard)
    I used to have this problem too. I always thought too deep about how, where, when I was going to return shots. This is good when you're familiar with all returning shots but when you're not 100% familiar with these shots, it's a bad habit. Just clear your mind and let your body instincts take over. Don't really think about if you're going to return a drop with a lift to the left, right crosscourt hairpin or a netspin hairpin. It get's you really confused.
    Some random drillwork would help. Ask your coach to send a stack of shuttlecocks in random directions and random shots. First tell him to go a little slow with easy shots and then when you get the hang of it let him do harder, faster shots. This would improve your decision making speed.

Improve your overhead shot techniques.(As mentioned by other people)
    Look at 2:20 or 3:10 of the 2nd video of your doubles match.
    You force your racket to stop in the middle of a swing after hitting the shuttle. This just takes more energy on every shot. Try to let your racket follow through till the end.

Do some exercises :)
    You seem to lack a bit of power.(It will improve if you correct your technique, but extra exercise helps) The singles opponent seems to be able to easily return your smashes and even counter you smashes easily. A smash that lets your opponent easily counterattack with it is very dangerous for you.

Mistakes(mishihts, framehits, getting caught by the net)
    The worst thing you could do in a competition is giving the opponent a point by doing a mistake(Although it was a shot you could normally return). Have some practice time where you don't think about shot placement, shot power, winning. Just focus on doing the right techinque without doing any mistakes.

Look at your opponent.
    You seem to give easy shots to your opponent.
    When you do a clear or a lift, look at the position of your opponent and see where his court is empty.(The whole point of a clear is to make time to look at your opponent and give you time to recover)
    This takes a LOT of practicing but when you do get the hang of it, it's the best weapon for singles.

Never be afraid to ask stuff like this. :) It only helps you improve.

Hope this helps :)

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I looked at your videos, and as others have mentioned it was very brave of you to post and request help.
    Great suggestions have been made by fellow BF'ers already and you should look into those.

One main thing that bothered me as I watch you play - granted it's your first tournament and all, is that I didn't get a sense of desire to win a point in any of your shots or rallies. I'm not saying about trying to win the match, but just each single point or exchange of shots.

From my years of coaching, I have found it's not always a matter of technique or style or even sometime ability, but how much you really want to win. That I can't teach or coach into a student. I can try to uncover their inner desire, but ultimately I have seen great players fail and not so great players win. All due to attitude - how much you really want to win.

If I might make my one suggestion to you - along with all the other great recommendations offered - look deep inside yourself and ask yourself if you want to win. Then stop playing like a victim and be the hunter. Start off small with the thought to win each exchange of shot, then rallies, then to games, then to matches. Don't let anything slip out of your reach. Honestly before you know it, you will get there.

Once you get that desire to win, you will get an overwhelming urge improve and focus. Otherwise, it's all just pretty window dressing.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Badrad, I think he gave that impression because he doesn't have the tactical or problem solving knowledge that comes with experience. Also, there is a big gap in skillset of the opponent.

I would look the same as him against a player who plays like a brick wall....:)

But again, the learning attitude has to be commended.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Several things already mentioned above by others, so will summarize or expand further here:

1. Be more aggressive to hunt the shuttle.

This means better reading and anticipation of your opponent's reply, which will come from more game experience. Eventually you'll learn to read your opponent based on his racket and body position to anticipate his replies.

2. Be more explosive on your feet by using the split step.

This will allow you to better able change directions forward/backward, sideways, etc. In order to achieve this, you need to incorporate the split step by taking a slight hop with slightly bent knees in your anticipation phase of your opponent's shot. The hop is very small and your feet don't have to leave the ground, but you should feel your whole body go up and down an inch or two. Land on the balls/front of your feet just as your opponent hits the shot. Then explode off them once you decide which direction you need to go to.

3. You need to improve on your overhead throwing action with more explosive forearm pronation.
    Check out thejym's video here that breaks down the pronation sequence.
    [video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ&list=PLCF9214C6074730BE[/video]

4. You can certainly build up more muscles, but make sure they're of the explosive type. Search for plyometric exercises.

5. Play more. And train more half court singles with someone who's slightly above your level. You'll improve very quickly after a year of 6 hrs a week of playing.

6. Pay attention to better players around you and try to emulate their proper techniques.

7. And lastly, never be afraid to ask for advice as you have here. Many people will gladly help.

#16 visor, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  17. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the previous comments on my previous badminton matches, definitely learn a lot from all of you. Here are 2 more videos on my recent friendly match with other team.

Game 1 (Lose 12-21)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjJk67rfSU

Game 2 (Lose 18-21)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJZVDg30Fh0

I was randomly paired with a partner that I have never played before and we represent our team as the last doubles. I have noticed a few things myself and probably the advice will almost be the same like previous videos. But I'll still like to learn more from you guys, please do provide your valuable feedback if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

18. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Sorry that I couldn't edit it, I forget to mention I am the guy who wear the dark green shirt in the game. Thanks :)

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

These guys were being nice to you.

Serve better. Decide if you are going to do a high serve or a low serve. At present you are playing an inbetween serve. Neither high nor low.

Overhead forehand and side shots. I don't know if it was mentioned before but you have a double action. I.e. you drop the racquet forward, pull it back, and then forward again to hit the shuttle. It's a very bad habit. Try not to drop the racquet forward.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Kelvin,

your previous thread is merged with the present thread. It will be easier to compare to earlier videos.