Proper footwork to get to the backhand corner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JukUx, Oct 28, 2014.

1. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Hello everyone!

So recently I've been struggling to move into my backhand corner to hit and I can't seem to hit anything from that side without forcing my backhand to clear. It seems to happen a lot when people are doing a fast lift to that corner in doubles. Am I just simply moving too slow? I can get there but I can't smash it hard, I can drop + half smash. I feel like if i smash it straight,they'll flick to my forehand corner and I am screwed because of recovery time. I am guessing 1) my footwork is incorrect? 2) I am moving too slow? Not sure, I just feel like I am moving slow but when I try to move faster my footwork gets all messy!

Can someone possibly explain to me the proper footwork to get to the backhand corner without forcing the backhand? ( I am left handed btw) or even better, is there a slow motion video of someone doing that in a game? :/

Thanks!

2. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    single or double ?

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Doubles he said.

Assuming you are playing a right hander, don't smash straight. Smash to the forehand just below right shoulder area. That will cut down the angle of reply.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Its doubles - if you have been pushed deep to the backhand corner, your partner should be covering the remaining three corners. If its mixed, then you need to suck it up and learn to control the rally - i.e. do not smash so much. As already said - smash towards the centre of the court - it will limit their ability to lift cross court.

The correct movement pattern to take a forehand on such a flat lift is different than for a high lift. As you are left handed, you should be standing to begin with with your left foot slightly forwards in your "ready" position. Then, simply take one large step towards the backhand corner with your left foot. After this one big step (you may or may not turn side on during this step - it depends how quick you are - its best to turn your body), you will be able to play your shot as you take another step to the back of the court with your right leg - use this leg to stabilise your movement.

Lin Dan was the master of this one step round the head footwork - just watch some videos from him playing back in 2008/2009

e.g.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNlTbBRxYyI
    Rally starting at 7:55, Lin Dan plays a smash at 8:07 using this footwork. He uses similar footwork for all shots from that side, but its really accentuated when he plays a smash (rather than a clear).

Good luck!

5. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I thought LYD, FHF, Setiawan all use backhand when opponent attacked their partner's serve (and pushed to BH).

6. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

if we are talking about the 3rd ball, you will not have time for proper around the head footwork.

Anyway with regards to the original question, it sounds more like preventive action is more what you are looking for. Of course you can speed up your recovery with better physicality or footwork technique (impossible to know without video), but attacking in doubles is all about not letting them counter your pressure. As someone said, if you are pressured in a corner, it is common for the other player to cover the other rear corner.