Singles: Returning Low Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Husky, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Husky

Husky Regular Member

So, I'm a MS player. I have a good net game and a strong smash, I'm technically pretty good, but i'm not the fittest. I'm also quite short.

I've had trouble adjusting over the past few years to people using the backhand low serve. When people used to serve high, I could dictate the rally from the back of the court, which is the best part of my game. I could normally get back on serve immediately! Now everyone serves short, and it's killing me against the quicker, explosive guys.

My first instinct is to block the shuttle to net, I've got good touch, but the flat incoming trajectory of the shuttle means that my return is going to be pretty flat as well - means they can come in and take the shuttle high at the net for a kill, or put in the first tight net shot.
    Unlike doubles, they aren't serving for the shuttle to drop close to the service line, which would give me something i could work with. They're killing me with it, because it limits both of my main strengths. And i don't want to default to just lifting the shuttle to the back. I've tried everything, including fancy cross court nets, but there has to be a high percentage play that'll allow me to use my strengths. Any ideas?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Where are you standing to receive? Perhaps move 1-2 steps closer?

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Drive the shuttle to the back or push it to the midcourt area. Doing a block to the net or a lift to the back isn't the only thing you can do.

add also deception by doing a double motion. one for the disguise, and one for the real (if the shuttle is slow enough)

by doing these things, you should prepare for a drive-push battle to force a lift.

#3 opikbidin, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. Husky

Husky Regular Member

Cheers. I'm gonna try driving up the line or back into the body. Don't mind a battle of drives. Just saw LCW using this against chen long with a bit of success, which is encouraging because i can't imagine anyone i'd dread more waiting to pounce with his meters long arms! At worst it gives them the same problem i just had.

I have to think about my base position a lot more, too, you're right. Too far back, and the short serve will be even harder to deal with. Too far forward, I'll get flick served. Horrible! :p

5. visor

visor Regular Member

For base position, try a few inches at a time. Then it's a matter of choosing the percentage of anticipating a short or flick serve. And you prime your muscles accordingly to explode from your base.

6. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Look at how Eric Pang does it. He almost exclusively stops short on the return of serve, forcing a high lift. The trajectory doesn't have to be flat. Not any real deception either, the shot is clean. A key is to take it early, perhaps you aren't focused on meeting the trajectory?
    It depends on your style. Stopping it usually means a slower, more tactical game while driving to the corners often comes down to a battle of speed.

7. KWReyes

KWReyes Regular Member

Student
    I'm certainly no expert on singles, but giving some thoughts.

I know you said you don't want to default to lifting every time, and I understand. However, it is undeniably a tactically sound shot to play, so on top of the things suggested by everyone (drives, pushes, nets), how about working on deceptive lifts?
    Hold your racket steadily in front as if dropping or blocking to the net, then flick it to the back. That would be a high percentage shot that could possibly throw off your opponent's game.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely work on the deception.

It doesn't have to be some outrageous topspin slice trickshot. Start simple: hold for a net shot, then flick to the rearcourt.

You say that you "don't want to default to just lifting", but why not? Have you tried lifting much? What happens when you lift flat to their backhand?

9. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Lift to the rear when opponent is within/between mid court and net area it will give you time to recover and get back to the "T" midline . The closer they are on the net the better, so that they run all the way back, as they run they put energy with their footwork and their smash (if they attempt to), will be weaker. That's one good use of a rear court lift.

10. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    As the server I used to do the high serve 90% of the time but now only about 50% because a good flick serve to the back tramlines is often effective. I find when I serve low it can be difficult to cover all possible returns so I use a few per game. I find it's good to mix it up.

As the receiver of a low serve it's good strategy to take the shuttle early for a drive to the back corners, although it does depend on how fast and skilled your opponent is. If you play a net shot you will often get a lift, but then you've got to be quick enough getting back to take advantage of it. It's not a bad thing to sometimes lift a low serve to the rearcourt. Variation will expose your opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are many options for the receiver. You don't always have to take it as early as possible - unlike doubles.

You also do not have to put pressure on the opponent straight away. Neutral shots are absolutely fine. Just how many times do we see the receiver play a fast shot off the serve? Yes, we do sometimes see pressure shots. These are to get the quickie point to disturb the opponents rhythm.

12. oble89

oble89 Regular Member

Lifting to the opponent's backhand rear court corner should be a pretty safe bet, since it's not doubles. After a few times, mix it up with a couple of push returns here and there.