Maintaining Singles Skill

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PinkDawg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Like many of us, I have less time to play badminton this year, compared to last year. How do most of you maintain the most skill with the least court time? I am definitely open to plain footwork and training. Thanks!

2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    1. watch and do rope skipping youtube videos
    2. watch and do chinese footwork youtube videos
    3. watch and do armchair badminton exercise youtube videos
    4. watch and do hitting four corners badminton exercise youtube videos

that's it, the basic set.

3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

If you have no access to a court, you can definitely practise swinging the racket. Pay attention to all the details, body rotation, pronation, grip, etc.

Then add in a bit of footwork, such as from one corner to centre, centre to front. It doesn't have to be full court length, but enough for you to pay attention and observe how you move.

Some other exercises you can do are legs and wrist strengthening exercises. You also need to maintain your stamina.

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Just a clarification- badminton is close by and I have court time when I have time during the week, so getting on a court is not a problem, but I am more busy, unfortunately. Thank you for the responses so far. I look forward to reading others!

5. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Easy, just don't interactive with other people. Less/no courting time means remaining single.

Oh, badminton singles? Plug to the Matrix when you sleep...

6. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

I understand much of you having less time to play badminton because of your commitment. I too have come across few occasion where i have less time to play because of my commitments. Since I'm still competitively playing, this has affected my performance and what i can summarize to you is that if you are a competitive player by yourself or love badminton very much and regardless how busy you are with the commitments that you have now, unfortunately, there is no short cut in maintaining whatever style and standard of game play level that you have now other than dedicating some ample time regularly practicing and playing IN COURT.

On top of this, if you also have required certain set skills after those many years of playing badminton and very much desire to maintain those skills, again unfortunately, you have to dedicate even MORE time in regularly practicing IN COURT (not just playing). This just maintaining those existence skills, alone in requiring additional set of new skills.

As a summary my BC friend, like any other sports, beside from having the correct knowledge about how to play that sport correctly, your ability in the practical aspect to learn ----> maintain -----> improve ------> require all technique and skills there in that sports is to dedicate regular time and effort to do regular training and playing and in this case your dedicated attachment to the court is compulsory if you truly want to maintain whatever technique and especially skills that you have as a single badminton player regardless how busy you are.

Even there are a lot of video guidance and off court training and exercise that you can do however, to completely encapsulate that total package as a in form player regardless of whatever level and skill that you have now is to bring yourself to the court since that is where the real thing happens.

SS

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That summarises my experience as well. However, one thing for sure. If you have strong understanding and insight of basic technique and footwork, when you come to play more, you can bring up your standard much more quickly back on court.

It's because you know what you are doing wrong and can self-correct and self-practice on court. Then, it's a matter of building up the stamina and the correct amount of fast twitch muscle.