Back to carbonex 20 - reflection

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cheung, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't play much singles nowadays. Though I don't mind playing for fun, my time has past. :(

Because I rather stick to the same racquets, I was using carbonex 20 for my doubles games.

However, with the reduction of playing singles (not entering competitions), I decided to change rackets and concentrate my game on doubles. Of course there are some technique differences and I felt it was time to try something a little different.

All the original carbonex 20's are 2U. Most present day racquets are 3U. After being lucky enough to try out a selection of racquets this year, I chose the Forza Ti 11,000 flexible version.

It's been pretty good especially with me shortening the backswing and trying to generate the same power.

Last night I decided to pick up the Cab20 just for a bit of overhead technique practice. It was surprising to feel the head heaviness although I class it as a balanced racquet. I would still prefer it for singles but now convinced that I would not use it for doubles.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes the Cab 20 is quite head heavy, flexible and actually quite slow through the air. I have several Cab 20's in 2U and one Cab 20 in U - now that is HEAVY!

If you want to retain the cab20 feel but for doubles play, try the original cab21. That is much better suited for doubles imo.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't go back to the oldies anymore. They just don't cut it in todays game. My timing has adapted to the longer 675mm racquets and it would just be too disruptive to change back and forth.

May be we should have an official "BC Old Racquet Week" where we all go back to using our old racquets for a bit of nostalgia! *Digs out Boron 2* lol

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I couldn't afford a boron 2. :(

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Nor could I, which is why I've only acquired one in recent years... :) It's really just to add to my collection as I was a big ZJH fan in the day.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just wondering about my cab20s. A couple are KR version and the rest are CN version.

I built up a stock just in case of breakages but only one broke in over 10 years. Hide away into cold storage I guess.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Simple solution: Just send all your precious rackets to us in Canada. Our whole country is "cold storage". We'll take good care of them. ;)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That a nice suggestion. I will think about it. Any chance of a job offer with that? :)