Shuttle time, a BWF Program

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by opikbidin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Let's try the official BWF program for spreading badminton

bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=15529

Shuttle Time is an innovative self-study training programme. A range of training resources have been developed to help teachers and coaches learn the 'how-to' teach badminton to children and youth.​
    The main training resources are:​
    > Teachers’ Manual (10 Modules)
    > 22 Lesson Plans in 4 Packages
    > 92 Instructional Video Clips

Step 1: Sign up for the programme using this online registration form here
    Step 2 : Upon registration, a username and password will be emailed to you​
    Step 3 : Login to the BWF Shuttle Time Training Resource Web Portal with your username and password (Note: do allow up to 48 hours for access to be granted to you upon receiving your Login details)

------------------------------------------------------

But there are always treasures deep in the internet:
    Ebook of the teachers manual : http://www.achper.org.au/documents/item/23
    Video youtube playlist : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6B8041550579DA0A

good for beginners and for those who want to teach badminton to kids

Still there are some that are wrong. I see the grips are still the traditional forehand and backhand. should be taught the 4 grips. or basic grip but applied forehand and backhand

2. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Can you elaborate on the grips? We only teach 3 main grips here, but later explain how the grip dynamically moves according to where you are on court. What is the fourth grip?

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The four grips that are normally taught are:
    Thumb Grip
    Panhandle Grip
    Bevel Grip
    Basic/Neutral Grip

4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

The bevel grip is just an adjustment between the Panhandle / Neutral Grip... We don't teach it as a unique grip in the same way as we don't teach rear forehand and smash grip. It's easier to explain as a pattern I think, where there is only two real grips. Panhandle rear backhand and front forehand. Thumb rear forehand and front backhand. Everything inbetween is dynamic. The only reason we teach the neutral grip as a third is because we want to teach them to be as quick returning the shuttle from any direction...

5. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

And of course because the overhead shot is very common and a good way to start. My point is that it's probably more intuitive to learn the grips as a pattern instead of trying to memorize as many different grips as possible.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thats very interesting to hear. I am sure you meant to say, however, that the bevel grip is an adjustment between the neutral grip and thumb grip.

However, I think not teaching a "regular overhead forehand" grip is a mistake when coaching beginners, who will probably choose the panhandle instead for overhead forehands.

Regardless of my preferences :) ...
    In the UK they are considered the 4 grips (and by BWF). The reason for this is the neutral grip is used for most overhead forehands (and forehands in line with the body at the side e.g. drive), the bevel for most overhead backhands AND many net shots on the forehand and backhand side (and backhands in line with the body at the side e.g. drive), the thumb grip is for late forehands and for backhands in front of the body, and the panhandle for late backhands and forehands in front of the body.

So the four grips deal with in front of the body, in line with the body, and behind the body, on both sides. To teach only 2 real grips deals with in front of the body, and behind the body, but not a specific grip for in line with the body, which will often happen. I imagine this could lead to people taking the shuttle REALLY early, or REALLY late.

Anyhoo, on one point everyone will agree - you change grips for every shot, and they are all basically somewhere in the spectrum of rotation between a full panhandle and a full thumb grip. I personally don't care what they are called, I care that people use the correct grip for the correct shot at the correct time.

Good discussion - thanks for the info!

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree that this is a better way of thinking about it. However, when teaching beginners, nailing it down to a few simple grips definitely seems easier when I am teaching! And its only 4 grips, not exactly comprehensive. But each to their own!

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My understanding is that there is some disagreement between Badminton England's system and the rest of the world -- and it's not purely in the names.

Unless things have changed again, Badminton England teaches four main grips: basic, panhandle, thumb, bevel.

Elsewhere, it's common to find different grips. For example, this is my impression of the Danish system: forehand, panhandle, backhand, thumb. They might also throw in the bevel grip, possibly.

Typically the forehand grip is not quite the same as Badminton England's basic grip. The backhand grip is most definitely not the same as a thumb grip (a thumb grip is a more "extreme" backhand). It's also -- and this is important -- meaningfully different from a basic grip.

I find the idea of teaching only panhandle and thumb very peculiar indeed. As Matt mentioned, it's important for players to be shown how to hold the racket when they are learning forehand overheads.

Personally, having used both approaches in my teaching, I now prefer the Danish or "international" system, rather than Badminton England's system.

#8 Gollum, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I personally don't care who else teaches what or which system it is. I know how to execute most shots, and which grips to use - so thats all I ever teach :) Goodness knows whether any of it agrees with international teaching or the UK structure - it produces world class shots and thats all that I care about, as I am sure most coaches would agree :)

I know for a fact that some of the juniors coached at some of the performance centres in the UK are taught things that in my opinion simply bad technique e.g. how to correctly play a cross net shot. What these kids are taught is completely different to how every professional hits the shot - so what on earth is going on?! Madness.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

And how do you determine this? Presumably by the long list of world-class players whose only coaching influence has been yourself?

Coaches argue about techniques and the best ways to teach them. National coaching bodies argue internally about the same. They argue because it's not all completely obvious, and there is room for disagreement or different approaches.

11. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Yes, you're right, we (Sweden) stay similiar to the Danish way of teaching grips. Badminton England confuses me a bit. However, we are not supposed to use names such as backhand or forehand grip since they are misleading. We say basic grip, thumb grip and rush grip. You distinguished between backhand grip and thumb grip and it confuses me. Don't you normally use what they call bevel in backhand rear (because it's impossible to get the angle with your thumb on the back). Anyway it's probably just semantics and I might be confusing you guys as well.

Anyway since we are on this topic have any of you forced pencils taped to the grip while teaching basic grip to beginners? Maybe it's common practice.. The main problem of most beginners is that they revert back to the Panhandle (rush) and try to hit in front of body instead of proper overhead, so hopefully it will force them not to...

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Fortunately, much more robust than that, the technique I teach is the same technique taught and used by some of the top coaches in this country (formerly top international players themselves). These coaches have far more knowledge than I can hope to achieve (gained from long careers at the top of world badminton), and have shown, through their own success and the success of countless england juniors, england nationals and england international players they have coached, that what they teach produces world class results. Furthermore, they have shown me why what they teach is so effective, and demonstrated how easy badminton can be if taught well.

If that is not compelling enough for me to believe that the way they coach (and the style I have adopted) works, gets results, and produces extremely good world class technique, then I don't know how else one could measure it.

You notice I never claimed to have taught such players with any success, only that I know that the technique I used and practice and teach DOES produce world class results. And as far as I am concerned, that is enough to put my mind at ease that what I am teaching DOES work, and works well, and matches what I see in current top international players, and my own understanding of the game. I guess I don't see anything unreasonable in such beliefs, perhaps you would disagree?

Whilst I can appreciate that there may be better ways to teach, I will stand by what I said - All I care about is that what I teach produces excellent results. I don't care if the method matches with any particular badminton governing body (Badminton England vs Denmark vs whoever else... its all meaningless as far as I can see).

I think most coaches know what good technique is, and would not argue about what good technique is, even if they will have different opinions of how to teach it and achieve it. If someone else teaches it better than I do, in a way thats simpler or easier to understand, thats brilliant! I hope one day to be able to teach in just as effective a way.

End of rant :)