Returning from the forehand side using your backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bobo, Aug 21, 2014.

1. bobo

bobo New Member

I've noticed a lot of professional players return shots on their forehand side using their backhand. If you watch Lee Chong Wei in this video, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArazfUmdEhk

In this video, he's returning the smashes straight, but I've seen other videos during games where players are using this technique and are able to return shuttles cross court.

It seems like I need to supinate as much as I can to generate power at impact. What I don't quite get is how one is able to return the shots cross court using this technique. Is it just a matter of timing the supination so that the impact and angle of the racquet during the supination is facing cross court?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cross-court angles with this technique are quite difficult. I think you have the right idea: supinate more to get the angle, and try to use power from the fingers to help keep the hitting action compact. If your timing is good, you can "reflect" power from the opponent's smash, so you don't need to "generate" all the power yourself.

Nevertheless the full cross-court angles are very tough. You might even say they are unrealistic. Typically a full cross-court angle would use a forehand action instead.

3. bobo

bobo New Member

thx, for the feedback, Gollum. I've switched to a mainly backhand defense for doubles and have been experimenting on how to get these shots done properly. I do use a forehand on shots that well out to the forehand side. I can consistently return the shuttle straight; however, when it comes to the cross-courts, I'm a little inconsistent since I'm not getting enough power. I've managed to get better results by leaning forward more and getting my arm out more to give my racquet more room to swing. As you mentioned, I'll try using my fingers more too.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Taking it out further in front of the body is definitely a must.

For the best example of someone who does this inside out defensive cross court counter attacking shot is none other the best MD defender and counter attacker around currently, LYD.