Is it too late to become a professional badminton player.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Serenity-, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Serenity-

Serenity- New Member

Hey guys, so all my life I wanted to become a professional badminton player. I didn't start playing however till I was around 15, and then I only ever made it to an intermediate level. I am 19 now, and haven't played for a while. Is it too late to become a professional badminton player, I am willing to give whatever it takes.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    As an international professional player, sorry to say but you missed the boat. All those pros have at least 5 or more years training before you. In Denmark, I was told they generally start taking it seriously around 15-16 years old. But that means they still have been playing for a number of years beforehand.

As a good amateur player, that can still be achieved depending on your resources. I.e. how to pay for coaching or even finding a coach that can take you to that level (can you afford it?).

A professional administrator, coach, sports physiologist are other possibilities.

3. Serenity-

Serenity- New Member

Thanks for the answer. I wouldn't mind being a good amateur player either, money really isn't an issue, however I have no idea where to begin finding a good coach. My Great-uncle used to play for Malaysia back around 1970, however he resides in Penang, and I am in Melbourne.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Having a look through the Australia/NZ subforum gave me this:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/122819-CCC-Badminton-CCC-Badminton-is-a-Coaching-Club

Melbourne is regarded as the strongest badminton state in Australia. To be a pro, you need to search a bit harder for what you want.

Here are some other helpful tips on being coached:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/bc/2014/02/18/do-i-need-badminton-coaching-is-it-effective-or-worthwhile/

But all in all, the biggest driver of improvement is one's own desire and perseverance when it seems that you hit a stagnant point.

#4 Cheung, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Never too late if you give it a try