Yonex Arcsaber 11 vs Voltric ZF-II vs Nanoray 900

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Wizzeh, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Hello,

I've been lurking around these forums looking at alot of helpful posts for a long time. Now I find myself with a hard choice to make so I'd like to ask some help in deciding :)

I'm currently playing with an Arcsaber FB, but I'd like a new racket. I had the opportunity to test the 3 rackets I'm chosing from, but they were all strung with low tension so I didn't have alot of feeling or control.
    I would say I'm a doubles player, but I like to play singles aswell and so I'm looking for a racket that would be good for both. I don't have a really powerful smash (it's not soft either, but not a killer smash at all), so I'm more of a control/play around type of player. Trying to work my opponent around the court with clears, drops, lobs,... More about placement and tactics than raw power.

In doubles I'm more of a front player, but I can hold my own in the back of the court. Again not with the hardest smashes ever, but I can keep the attack with drops and smashes through good placement. But I'm more of a fast drives and netplay guy, or counter defence, so that's where the Arcsaber FB was really good.

For my choice now: I played some singles with the ZF-II and it seemed quite good at that, however I fear it would seem too heavy for good defence in doubles? I'm not sure, as all 3 rackets seem to feel "heavy" compared to the FB, which is logical...
    Arcsaber 11 seemed more of an allround racket, but somehow (no idea why) it didn't quite feel that good. The NR900 in theory would seem nice for my playstyle I guess, but I couldn't test it at all, it was strung with the least tension of the rackets and I gave up after 5 mins :(

So far I'd say ZF-II looks nice for singles, and NR900 for doubles, but I want one racket for both gametypes. Not sure where the arcsaber 11 would fit in?

If anyone can help or give some tips/advice I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks in advance and for reading the wall of text ;)

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

arc11 is the medium ground out of those rackets. Have you considered victor rackets? :D

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

All that you wanted from Yonex selection, you can get them all in one with Victor Meteor X80 (all around, almost perfect in all department) or Thruster K6000, 7000, 8000, 9000 (superb in power yet somehow still very quick in defensive play). Of course, for Nanoray 900 equivalent... you can narrow down to Jetspeed series (general rule, head light balance will not give you as much power as heavier balance). Best news is, Victor is slightly cheaper than Yonex and able to withstand 30+Lbs without worry.

4. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I can't go for Victor rackets though, as I have a contract with Yonex :p

5. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Are you fooling with us ? having a contract with Yonex, I assume you are a very high level tournament player and hence sponsored...
    If thats true, you should know more about rackets than most of us, especially given the "chance" to try it all for free....

6. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

No I'm not fooling you, I'm sponsored as a trainer...So yes I have some knowledge, but at this point I'm seriously having difficulties deciding, sorry... I narrowed it down to ZF-II vs NR900 though. As I said, yes I could "test" both, but they were strung extremely low, so I had no feeling, and I couldn't make them string it higher.
    So for that reason I came here looking for help...

7. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

ZFII for sure ;)

8. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

NR900 for sure. :D :D :D

Seriously, if you are used to ArcSaber FB, I don't think you will enjoy ZFII.

9. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

I am half joking when I said "fooling" . I am a Victor fan boy and highly recommend the bravesword line. Have been exclusively yonex for past 20 years but once I tried the Victor BS line, I am converted.
    Change sponsor !! :)

10. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

You should definitely try the rackets out (VZFII for doubles and try NR900 for singles) because some people can handle HH rackets for singles, etc. I can't recommend that you buy either especially because the racket that seemingly would fit you, the arc11 didn't feel right.

11. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Oh ok sorry, thought you were serious :)
    Can't really change though, my whole drawer is filled with Yonex clothing etc :p

Got my hands on a NR900 with higher tension, can't try it for long though, but will give it a go soon. I (think I) did notice I have better results with the ZF-II if I use shorter sharper swings..I can do those, just have to remember it, otherwise when the swing is longer the racket doesn't seem to deliver such a punch. No idea if that reasoning is correct though? :p

12. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Had a short chance to test NR900 with decent string tension...seemed nice. One question if someone could shed a light: could it be a good singles racket aswell?

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

did you mix up the singles/doubles recommendation there?

14. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Well yes and no, I tried the NR900 in a few singles rallies yesterday, seemed quite nice. Fast swing, no real effort for clears either. My smash wasn't as hard as with the arcsaber FB according to my opponent. Then again as I said I'm not the heavy smasher anyhow, so might be better off with the head light racket for more control and precision to place my smashes? (if that's how it would work?).

Didn't have the chance to test the ZF-II for doubles really. Or atleast I did once, but it was in a game where we almost always had the attack, so I couldn't test the defensive capabilities...

15. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Sorry. The post should read
    You should definitely try the rackets out (VZFII for doubles and try NR900 for singles) because some people can handle HH rackets for doubles, etc. I can't recommend that you buy either especially because the racket that seemingly would fit you, the arc11 didn't feel right.

Wizzeh wants a racket for both singles and doubles so it's important that VZFII can still be used for doubles, and that the NR900 can still be used for singles. Wizzeh already played singles with VZFII.

Keep testing and pick out the one you like! It sounds like the NR900 fits you quite well but if you can manage to handle the VZFII in doubles then that's good too. If you can test the rackets in training (not in game), it can help, too.

16. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

Hehe, that's exactly the problem, I don't know which one I like more :)
    Feels like the VZFII was making my arm/shoulder a bit fatigued though when I wanted to clear alot.

Could anyone comment on this last issue I'm dealing with: considering VZFII is head heavy, would I need more arm/wrist power to handle the racket compared to the head light NR900? I'm thinking about getting the racket ready again after fast flat shots in doubles, or defence in doubles. And on that note, am I right that it's better to have a short fast swing (let's say for clear, drop, smash) with a head heavy racket instead of longer, bigger swings?

Also still wondering if the head light NR900 will make my smash even weaker than it is?

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate every input I've gotten thus far!

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

head heavy gives control, head light loses control.

18. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

To generate power in defensive shots, you would need more wrist power with the VZFII because you have to get it moving on demand. If you already have experience that the NR900 makes your smashes weaker than they are, then they probably are; sorry to tell you. I can't really help you on the short/long swings thing but I think that VZFII probably benefits from longer swings.

In my experience, HH rackets give you a better idea of where you're placing the birdie (accuracy) than HL because you have to "throw" the weight of the racket that way, so you have to intentionally do it and feel it.

19. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

So actually I should be better off with the VZFII then it seems, "theoretically"...

20. Wizzeh

Wizzeh Regular Member

I think I kind of made my decision...to go with the VZFII...