What happened with the new racket?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by urusd, Jul 27, 2014.

1. urusd

urusd Regular Member

I started playing after 7 years break and played with a friend's racket. They were cheap $24 for two from Amazon. From first day I felt good and my smashes were still good. Even my friends noticed and said that I still got it. I played 3 weeks with the cheap racket and all was good so I thought to play more regularly and bought Yonex Arcsaber 002 on a friend's recommendation. The day I went with the Arcsaber 002 my smashes died. I felt no power and the smashes are traveling more flat and not at an angel the way they were with the other racket.
    Is Arcsaber a bad choice? Should I stick with the racket and learn to play or move to more stiff and head heavy ie. Voltric

I am 6'3" and 190 lbs. Aggressive player. I can run around the court well but love to play smashes as my height allows to do that well. Playing doubles mostly.
    Any help?

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    What were the speculations on the other racquet you have bought? Also string and tension could be factors to this too.

3. urusd

urusd Regular Member

4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Well I do believe the Arcsaber 002 is flexible I'm pretty sure and having those sets are generally pretty stiff so the generating power is different with the stiffness. Maybe your swing is quite fast and is adjusted to stiff racquets rather then a flexible racquet which suit those individuals whom swing slower. Try different racquets!

5. urusd

urusd Regular Member

Thanks Exert. I am going to play with the friend's racket again. I hope I find my smashes back.

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    No problem! Have fun smashing!

7. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Arcsabers in general tend to be more balanced rackets tending towards control, so I'm not too surprised that you're having trouble with smashes. A lower end voltric might fit you, if smashing is that important to you.

8. urusd

urusd Regular Member

Thanks PinkDawg!

That is exactly what I am going to do. I am going to talk to Badminton Alley and see if they have some program where I can try different rackets and then buy one.
    I hope they accept my Arcsaber 002.

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

It might simply be a timing issue if your smashes are travelling not at the angle you expected. Most likely you are in a transition period timing wise because you change rackets as different rackets have different timings.

If your smashes are dead after changing from a cheap racket, i would assume it's because you are not strong enough or have good technique yet to handle the better racket as cheaper rackets are usually very flex, even flexier than the high flex low end yonex rackets. It could also be the string but i suspect that is not the case here.

Combine that with your 7 years hiatus, it all makes sense. You can try a head heavy flex racket as it will make it easier to flex it during smashes. My advice though is to stick with your friend's cheap racket until your technique and strength improves.