String Tension Question !

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by l3al3i, Jul 26, 2014.

1. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    HI guys,

I just stumbled upon this forum and thought I could seek out some advice here.

I'm currently studying overseas here in the states and I bought a
    Victor Brave sword 170 .

I have been reading around the forums and I concluded that the Nanogy 98 is prolly one of the better ones.

I did my stringing back in Malaysia and when I came here to the states , the string broke really quick and I recalled that I strung it at a very high tension.

What tension would you guys recommend I string. I live in New York and the winters here are really harsh and I do not want my strings snapping all the time. That being said I'm also a fairly good a player who plays tournaments and I do not want too little tension as it would not feel nice.

All suggestions and feedback are most welcomed !!

Thank you !!

2. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    Edit : My raquet says : H<<28lbs V < <26 lbs , 3U

3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I used to think that if you breathed on your strings with warm air, you could keep them from breaking if you've been travelling in cold weather. I don't think it worked. You might just want to use more durable string and not change your tension, but that's just what I would do.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

option 1 Go with NBG95. A little less power and control.
    option 2 Go with BG85. control and power about the same. the durability improve a little.
    option 3 New stringer may be?

5. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    How about the NBG 99 ? I just saw it and it says 10 for Durability !!
    It should pretty much last me for a very long time .

I go to other people to get the stringing done. I pretty much know nothing outside of playing the game...

6. visor

visor Regular Member

If you say you're a pretty good player playing tournaments, then nbg98 at 26 lbs for feathers should be fine... assuming you don't mishit much. But if you play often, don't expect the string to last till winter.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Nbg99 may be more durable in comparison, but it'll be duller with less repulsion.

8. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    Unfortunately, I'm just a student and money seems to be a big problem !

The strings cost about $15-18 each but the workmanship is really the one that's hurting me. The shops here charge $20 and up to restring if I bring in my own strings.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

That's daylight robbery!

Just ask around at the club where you play, who most people go to for stringing. Would be much cheaper.

10. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

You must be in the NYC or something, because a string job is commonly $20 WITH GOOD STRING INCLUDED. Would you like suggestions for where to buy strings? $15-18 for strings is pretty excessive too.

11. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    I play mostly in the campus and most of them get their stringing done when they go back to their home country. Badminton isn't very common here so I guess everything is premium pricing

12. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    Im living in Buffalo. I got my string off ebay for 15$$ including shipping for the NBG 99 and there is only one small shop that does stringing and they charge that price.

I would love to know where you get your strings from too ! Need to save every cent I can !

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Search for RKEP on eBay. Eric's your friend for life. Or mybadmintonstore.com

And please please just ask who most players go to get their stringing done. Would be much cheaper.

14. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    OMG the strings there are so much cheaper than on EBAY !!!!

Im contacting the seller on ebay to cancel immediately !

Is rkep the name of the seller ?? I typed it in and it showed me some random products

Thanks man ! You saved me so much money on the Strings.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

16. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    Great to know you are Malaysian as well !It says you're from canada on your profile though haha .
    Do you have any recommendations for shuttlecocks as well ? I have been looking around and everything cheap seems to be fake and everything else seems to be over the top in $$$.

Also would 26lbs on the NBG 99 be ok or should i go a little less just so it lasts longer .

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... Ex Malaysian, oh, some 36 yrs ago! :eek:

Shuttles, I'm assuming you're referring to feathers. Best to ask players in your area which are best and best for the price.

18. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

My club uses black label Aeroplane shuttlecocks from Ronney from supremesportssupply.com. The club subsidizes the shuttlecocks so I don't know what the price actually is. Ronney also sells Yonex strings for cheap (BG65 at 5.50, BG65Ti at 6.00, and BG66UM at 8.50, **the last time I checked in March**) He doesn't exactly have a big online presence so you should call or e-mail him.

Shuttles are often expensive online but I've seen people talking about Youhe S100, which I think most people here would buy from badmintonian.com.

Also, be careful of what speed of shuttles you buy. I don't know the conditions up in New York, but you make it sound cold up there ;)

I also shop at mybadmintonstore.com, as visor mentioned.

19. l3al3i

l3al3i Regular Member

student
    Thanks man !

I just bought the Youhe S100 s off badmintonian and he even told me that the delivery will be here by Friday latest .

Btw do you think 26 lbs for the NBG99 on a victor racket is too much ? I am worried it might snap easily when winter comes by again.

20. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I haven't played with NBG99, unfortunately, so I can't really tell you too much. Also, My tension usually ranges from 23-25 on the mains so outside of that range I can't say much either.

I've had great experience with the customer service on that site!

Victor rackets are really durable from what I hear. As for the string, I can't say I know. NBG99 is a .69 string which seems promising, but I can't say anything for sure. Then again, it's summer now, and if a string breaks because of the weather, you can always decrease string tension. I think temperatures under 50F (10C) wouldn't be too damaging to string.