Numerous problems, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yeahehehehe, Jul 24, 2014.

1. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Okay, since i started training to another coach my footwork has been DIMINISHED. Damn, my footwork has never been worse, my reaction time also got slower. Everytime i play singles and my opponent sends a high clear, instead of running after the shuttle i just jump and try to reach it. Quite dumb, right? Well, i wasn't like that before, i can even create smashes from those clears. Also, i adjusted on how i hold my racket. They advised to hold the racket grip to the very end. I did, it is much comfortable for me and makes whipping easier, however everytime there is a kill opportunity or a smash, it always goes out. I didn't experience this before with my normal grip. They say to flick my wrist, but i find it hard to. Any help? Thanks :)

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Run behind the shuttle. Sounds like you already partly know the answer. You are not getting back behind the shuttle. You said you jump and try to reach it. Your "smash" goes out, sound exactly like the result of poor positioning. Did you change your grip for the smash, like previously holding in the middle of the grip and now bottom towards the butt? Why are you not running back on clears? Are you subconsciously thinking you can't cover the front so you are too far forward? Initial jump is poor?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I think his coach is asking him to block jump to intercept which is supposedly faster than stepping back.

But his coach may not have take into account his weaker legs and push off.

Practice it more. It takes time to build up strength in those thighs and calves. Do more plyometric training.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometricexercises.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 visor, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

And the hitting out part, use more pronation and start out with less power but more angle.

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    This^^^ makes me smash down the lines :DD

6. yeahehehehe

Wow, i don't know what happened. I just played earlier and my game was back on. I can already get behind the shuttle as before and my kills and smashes were more steeper than yesterday. The only thing left i think is to be more consistent on steepness, some of my kills and smashes were still out. By the way my grip im adapting to is the further end to the butt. I think my game clock just started, hope this continues. thanks for the help :)

7. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

An easy way to help your footwork is to do the 6-corner footwork drill! Having someone point to where you have to go will make moving there second nature to you. Of course this helps in singles, but it also helps in doubles if someone unexpectedly clears. It is a valuable skill to intercept flat clears, but you must be able to recognize when it is improper to try to intercept clears.

Train your defense to help your reaction time. Get someone to smash "randomly" to the sides and at your body.

Holding the racket down on the grip is good technique, but if you decide to kill, you nearly always have enough time in singles to shift up on your grip to make the swing radius smaller-> the angle steeper. I hope this helps.

8. yeahehehehe

Thanks Pink, I'll take note :)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why the change of coach?