stamina training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by xaiontilt, Jul 15, 2014.

1. xaiontilt

xaiontilt Regular Member

Hi guys,

i hope some of you have the time to read that all, sorry if it is to long. :)

i am currently playing badminton in a local badminton club, mostly 1 time a week + 1 time a week with a good friend. i play mostly singles.
    i play pretty good compared to others in my club, but not that well compared to other clubs. i want to improve, but the biggest problem is the lack of better opponents in my club AND! the reason for opening this thread: my stamina.

the biggest reason for me losing matches is my lack of stamina. if i have to fight for every point, i manage to win most of them - until i am out of breath... don`t get me wrong, there are many weaknesses in my game, but stamina is the biggest issue.

so i was thinking i could do some kind of fartlek (?) training to reconstruct the problem i have in matches.
    but before i do that, i wanted to hear what u guys think about my plan:

- twice a week normal badminton training
    - twice a week 45min intervall training - 10 minutes warumup then 30 sec fast, 15 sec recover and repeat for 25 minutes then 10 minutes cooldown
    - and maybe once a long slow run for maybe 60 minutes.

is that something to consider doing or are there better plans?

thank you for your time and have a nice day,
    Chris

2. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    ...instead of one long slow run for 60min, perhaps should spread it into three times a wk of medium speed jog for 30min each. Another viable option is swimming non-stop for the same duration...

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Examine your footwork and timing the split step bounce. If these are inefficient, then running around the court is exceedingly hard.

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    a good exercise would be rope jumping. I think it's a better choice than running.with rope jumping, you can build up good footwork, train your jumping, while training your stamina. other training is maybe the footwork drills.

your stamina is mainly drained because your legs move around. so training rope jumping and footwork drills is more appropriate rather than just do running or swimming.

5. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i think OPs own plans are the best so far

intervall training if you challenge yourself there hard...will really push your condition!

way more effective than medium jogging (useless for me!) and swimming...remember he is out of BREATH! need to push his lung to improve that whish is best done by ambitious intervall training

if you have bad footwork than that will cost a lot of energy

i remember my first months very well when i was like a rabbit hunting over the court...still losing to any old man who would stand there and just manage to hit the shuttle somewhere :D

#5 OhSearsTower, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I guess it depends on how much time you have available to train, and how your joints take training.

Like Cheung said, footwork is really important in keeping your breath. If your footwork makes you take too many steps, or overrun too many shots, or move your head in a way that makes you dizzy, then conditioning won't be your greatest help.

don't stress your joints too much, though. If you're very determined, then as you improve your technique, the intense training you're proposing will assist your confidence in physicality as you play more.