Gone back to smashing into the net...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DuckFeet, Jul 12, 2014.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I used to hit the net a LOT, then I backed off the power to "make them count" as I think is very important. I hadn't been hitting into the net for about 99/100 recently (hitting the wrong tramline in singles is a another story).

Last night I was playing after I lead taped the top of my racquet and restrung to a new string at a slightly lower tension. About 75% of smashes went into the net, most annoying! Especially when I started deliberately holding back a bit to go for placement over power.

Not to blame the racquet, but could the lead tape have altered the speed/flex such that I need to readjust or was I just trying for too much power because it was a new club? I swapped to a flexier racquet and hit a lot of flatter smashes. Any thoughts? Happy to put it down to use error. I can move the tape, but the rev is still plenty fast so I'm keen to benefit from a bit more power for a bit less effort.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Just shift your target to 6 inches above the tape.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

of course adding lead tape will affect your timing... I would have expected your smashes to be flatter, rather than steeper, though!

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Remove the tape from the racquet and try again.

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    My aim was off so any adjustment was still wrong :)

Timing seemed ok in that it was popping nicely, so contact was good. No idea how is was too steep angle though.

Yeah thanks Cheung. I'll never deviate from the one racquet spec I've adjusted to. Never try anything different.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Possibly when you hit hard your racquet speed is greater and you hit the shuttle too soon, so it goes into the net?

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    ^^^This.

It is always better to hit too high above the net than giving the point away to your opponent by hitting into the net.

75% of smashes in the net is like giving your opponents a 15 point head start.

Don't get annoyed, analyse it and adjust. I doubt it is the racquet, I suspect it is probably your technique. Videos might help?

8. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

I understand much your annoying smashing result. Definitely by changing to a flexier racket will result in a more flatter smash as your racket head has a much lesser downward force effort when contact has been made due to your much faster forearm swinging speed and this is still not the solution to have a better validity in your smashes if you use your proffered racket.

No doubt that your smashing validity issue still comes from the technique of your smashing execution though or your footwork movements. Having a video can provide better insight since not all solution can come from just analyzing through history.

However you can try to correct this by executing a half smash first ( a smash that has 50% power) and see what is the outcome. If your half smash has a near or 100% validity success rate then theoretically increasing your smashing power stepwise to 75% and then 100% should yield a near similar result.

If even by executing a half smash and mostly your smash still end up half of it into the net then accessing not just your execution technique is crucial but importantly your footwork as well is important too. At this stage evaluating visually how you move and execute those smash is a more better way to make an assessment and comments.

Good luck. SS

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Stop moaning, try being 5'6.

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Yes I'll try that... :cool:

Hopefully just a bad night but I'll video the next session if I'm still doing it.
    On the plus side I was hitting the net REALLY hard :)

11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I only hit the net when I'm impatient and take on smashes that aren't on.

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Have your vision checked in the off season.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

As my coach used to say, any serve or smash into the net that doesn't go over is like a free gift to your opponent that did not require any effort by your opponent. So unless you're feeling very generous and like to lose, make sure it's over!

#13 visor, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Grip size restored, I forgot I'd increased it. Also, lead tape removed. Damnit Cheung with your being right all the time.

I was wondering what had happened to the mechanics of my swing, no idea but I switched to a more HH and flexier racquet and it was fine. Muscle memory on a per racquet basis? Weird that I like different grip sizes for different racquets.

#14 DuckFeet, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  15. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I always say the same, don't give the opponent a free point. Even if your shot goes over and it not ideal, there's still the chance the other side makes a mistake. If your shot does not go over, there is no chance.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like a very slightly bigger diameter grip for singles. Not for power but control.

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've put the lead tape back on, but at the t piece this time rather than at the top. Timing is still off.sometimes but power and angle are much better.

I think I had a bad night and the tape at the top had too much effect on the racquet balance the night I posted originally.

18. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Lead tape off. Grip back to one layer G08 thicker. My aim is off again so that's what did it. Feels more comfortable though so I'm sticking with it. My backhand has gone to pot though.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

could it be that your shaft stiffness is too flexy for you, if you're having such trouble with getting the right aim and height over the net?

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Nah, if you're hitting 75% of your smashes into the net, it is definitely not an issue with the racquet.