To what extend can you train your wrist?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by arfandy, Jul 9, 2014.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I've been using this dumbell as a mean for wrist-lifting training, both forehand and backhand lifting. At first try, i used 0.50kg dumbell and did 30 lifting at 3 set before resting for 5 minutes, then continued another 3 set... both forehand and backhand. This was 3 year ago.

Today, i used a 2.50kg dumbell to do so, except it is 40x lifting at 3 set, rest 5 mins, then another 40x3, and do on until reaches 300 lifts. Both forehand and backhand. Then my wrist and arm would feel numb and shaking. This been going for 3 months now.

I wonder if i've been doing it okay or damaging my wrist by excesively put heavy strains on it. I'm 63kg weight, 174cm tall, and pretty skinny. But undoubtly, my wrist power is the strongest in the club, in term of forehand/backhand clear, forehand/backhand smashes, and drives.

The reason i asked is because recently, i've been feeling a bit of pain around the wrist ... especially after 3 hours playing.... and the pain remains there until i excessively do the same wrist training routine which resulted in numb & shaking feeling...that kills off that particular pain.

2. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

How many days in a week do you train your wrist? Make sure you leave some days for recovery otherwise you will be overtraining and can injure yourself.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Just use a racket cover to train instead. You'll improve both speed and power.

4. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Except for game day, which is Thurs & Sunday, i'm doing it everyday (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat).... all before going to bed. But maybe i should start declaring Monday as total recovery day.

Yes, i've used racket 160g + cover but it didn't help as much as the dumbell does. That's why i switched to dumbell since the power is visibly enormous (and so the impact).

5. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

You overworked your wrist. You have to give it a break until the pain goes away. Numb and Shaking is fine, I get that feeling too when I rotate my wrist with 2L soda bottles. The pain though indicates you've done too much lifts for your wrist to handle.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree... With these weight exercises, you may be able to build up muscles, but tendons and cartilage do not grow as fast or even as much. So if there's pain, you've overdone it and have to back off a bit.

7. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Thank you for the advices. I'll try to reduce the weight or reduce the number of exercising my wrist. Anyway, i am really curious as to how those smasher international players (namely fu hei fang, jung jae sung, markis kido, tbh, etc...) trained their wrist? They were able to produce smashes beyond 270kmh easily. Did they use a 5kg dumbell as a routine for their wrist?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not just about strength, but speed, timing, technique, and core recruitment.

If it's only about strength, then you'll have only body builder types thundering down smashes.

9. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

To achieve stronger smashes, you need to train every part of your body that helps in making the racket move forward faster. Also, its not just resistance training that you need to do but also plyometrics. Try searching the internet on how tennis players train for a stronger serve.

Also, you should search the internet on topics regarding muscle adaptation. You will find that using the same kind of training repetitively over prolonged periods will not yield you the best results.

10. bottleneck1

bottleneck1 Regular Member

Just something on this.
    I've taken up badminton again after a long absence, because I needed the cardio and I used to enjoy it.

My main hobby is powerlifting. I've been training for strength for years.
    I can pick up the weight of three grown men from the floor, and my grip strength can hold that weight.

My badminton smash?
    Probably about 5km/h faster than it used to be ten years ago (before the weights).
    It's still very, very average and I am an intermediate player.

Strength is of minimal benefit in badminton.. or I challenge Lin Dan to an arm-wrestle :)