help with pronation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bimetallica, Jul 6, 2014.

1. bimetallica

bimetallica Regular Member

[h=2][​IMG] help with pronation[/h]
    Hi, after reading some of the threads on badminton central I started to adopt full pronation instead of the half pronation half flexion I used to use. However, although now I can get the correct contact by pronating I feel that the pronation does not really help since i'm rotating around the axis and its the rest of the body instead of forearm thats generating the forward momentum. I've checked online and the motion fully mimics the professional players however it just feels like i'm not using forearm thanks to the rotation.

Also, i'd like to ask where do you guys feel the power coming through on your hand. Is it the part of the palm in line with the index finger as well as the lower part of the index finger or is it the part below the thumb (the nice fat part used to test the doneness of steak)

Thanks for the help :)

2. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

i have dwelled on this for a while, i think the key for pronation is actually leading the stroke with your elbow first, because it actually causes your arm to coil up. The pronation is actually just an "un-coiling" of your arm to hit the shuttle, its quite relaxed. I'm not sure if the power comes from the hand or not, I just try to keep relaxed while I do it. If you hit hard, your whole body clenches at the contact to produce the power.

This video explaining the high clear shows it in more detail. If you watch the demonstrations of the clear in slow motion, you can see the guy in the video doing pronation very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shYONTvT7xA

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Very good point about the forearm coiling and uncoiling.

Also make sure there's an angle of about 135 degrees between the racket axis and your forearm axis in order for pronation to be optimal.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

And don't forget to use a loose grip, with tightening into strike.