Mistakes i dont know how to fix

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tryhard, May 29, 2014.

1. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    well when i do clears or smashes the shuttle goes up . usually when smashing u want the shuttle to go down deep . i try hitting the shuttle at the sweet spot but sometimes i misstimed my smash and i end up hitting "AIR" . and one more thing when my opponent serve the shuttle so far behind i end up running and falling . i really want to be a really good badminton player its my dream to beat my friends that always tease me when i lost

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You need lots of practice. Just do drills on clears until you can easily hit the rear tramlines in the opposite court while standing from the mid to rear 3/4 court on your side.

It'll likely take a few hours in total but it'll be worth it. And make sure you get someone to teach you proper technique re grip, stroke, pronation, weight transfer.

#2 visor, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

First thing I would concentrate on, is getting behind the shuttle properly and hitting it with the right technique. Like mentioned, you could do this by doing drills with somebody.
    For the right technique you could ask a more experienced player/coach or look it up on YouTube, there are plenty of videos.

4. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    i dont actually have someone to teach me . about my grip its fine because lots of videos about grip. how do i practice my stroke ? can you give me some pointers ? . And what can i do alone when im not at the court to improve my game ? . if you have video that can help me pls post it here

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    how about posting a video of your stroke first.

it's far easier to give advice if other people can see how you play.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

FOOTWORK!!! FOOTWORK!!! FOOTWORK!!!
    Try shadow badminton and learn to move around the court smoothly.

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

you need a coach... even few lessons will help a lot

8. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    i dont really have any video of me playing . and i have tried doing the footwork but it is rarely used by me on court because my opponent like to make me go infront court or back of the court . how to handle my opponent when hes making me move a lot ? .

9. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    You need to use foot work still, footwork is essential in badminton. Footwork will allow you to get behind the shuttle quicker as long as you anticipate. Try shadowing footwork and play against slower people and use footwork in that game and pick up your pace once you get better at it.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Use a smartphone. Borrow one - they are pretty common nowadays. Then post the video.

Look for a coach and take group classes. Which part of Malaysia are you from? Finding a coach has never been easier!

11. timbits

timbits Regular Member

Here are some things i do to help my clear and smashes:

1. Make use of your left hand. Use it to aim at the shuttle
    2. Make a full stop before doing arm pronation ( don't run and swing at the same time )
    3. Don't just stand on court during game. Always moving and on your toes
    4. For clear we contact the shuttle right on top of us. For smash the contact point is slightly forward
    5. For serve return, don't stand too close, racket about chest level and knees slightly bent.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    By your description, you sound like a beginner. Firstly, realise that there is no shame in being a beginner and hitting air shots. Lin Dan was once a beginner like you.

Secondly, it would seem that some of the points above may be a little too advanced for you. You need to make sure you can hit the shuttle well first before working on things like footwork. Footwork is very important to get you in the best position to hit the shuttle, but hitting the shuttle [and hitting it well] is more important.

As Cheung suggested above, post a video of yourself playing, this will help others comment on your technique and advise ways to improve.

May I also suggest practicing hitting the shuttle against a wall. This is a very good way to learn lots of techniques in the absence of a partner/coach.

13. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    i have a smartphone i think everyone does but i never bring it when im playing sports . i will post the video later . and im from Terengganu. Yes i am a beginner and i hit a lot of air shots when im not moving . i will try to use all the suggestions given in my plays

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Love your first paragraph :)

Too many times we forget it.

15. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    Been Listening to all your advice . im hitting less AIR shots . thats nice . but i cant really do a jumping smash this is a video of me trying to do a jumping smash and smashes . Sorry it took so long to get a video

im the yellow shirt with the dark court . im wearing slipers because i just ended my match .
    [video=youtube;gTzqUJdxPjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzqUJdxPjQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    [video=youtube;m_Zqj6krx5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Zqj6krx5Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

16. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Lifting the shuttle your self and trying to jump smash is harder to jump smash then being lifted or cleared too. Let someone set you up some clears so you can jump smash and show another video :3

17. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    tried that . the result is the shuttle goes like im doing a clear shot i didnt go down . well my friend is recording so no one to set me a lift LOL . sadlife

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

well, be a bit more creative in getting the video and somebody feeding you shuttles. If you give poor quality videos, it is just wasting your time.

19. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

funny clothes you all are wearing..why is everybody wearing long pants? is it not fashionable to show some knee? :D

why on earth are you trying to do jumpsmashes if you have problems hitting the shuttle at all...

i play for 2,5 years now and try to practice all sort of things (mainly footwork, because just like you i have a hard time finding feeders) but never tried a jumpsmash..i dont even put too much effort in smashpower practice since i think its not all that important

20. tryhard

tryhard Regular Member

None
    yeah i dont wear fashionable clothhes when plying since im focused on my plays . not focused to be fashionable .my knee got some bruise . so yeah its not smexy . im trying to jump smash because i want to finish my opponent quickly .