Fatigue is getting bigger & over swinging easy high serves?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Exert, May 23, 2014.

1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Well has anyone experience this? I have so far and I've been play badminton Tuesday Thursday Friday and Sunday for around 21 hours all in total. I train my self hard and push my self to my limits and people I play suddenly get close to me or win a set when usually I would win 21- less then 10 or at 10 it's really aggravating. Should I take a break for a week or so? Thanks BC

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

People would improve over time. Also, over the period of time if you keep playing with and against Another same people, they would figure out where you will hit for certain shots and prepare for it.

I find myself facing the same issue and played with others instead of my usual group. With a different group of people, I am exposed to a wide range of styles and abilities. When I play with my usual group again, I also played differently.

You might want to play lesser with your group or vary your shots.

Might not really need a break.

Another possibility is to relook at the techniques and seek a new high. If you have a coach, he should be able to guide you.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thanks alien & I want to change my style a lot in ways I put my shots , I appreciate your feedback I guess people are just figuring out my weaknesses. My coach is pretty good atm he's a great coach I will probably play with a new group thanks :)

4. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

maybe you also are just not so quick if you play 21h a week

dont play too much the days before important games to be rested and have light legs

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I don't want to ask a stupid question... but why does it matter? You are training hard. Your focus should be on YOU, not on them. Who cares how they do against you? The question is: how are YOU performing?

Notice that their performance changing does not affect you. If they improve, thats fine. Your focus should be on your game, not on theirs. But it sounds like you are focusing on how easily you can beat people. That is pointless - you should be focussing on how well you are moving, how well you are playing your shots, how well you are strategizing, how well you apply your strategy etc. If you get beaten, or come close to losing, most people will ask "am i too tired? should I take a break? why am I struggling". Instead, you should be asking yourself - how did I feel during the game? how was my footwork? how many mistakes did I make? what shall I improve in training next week to eliminate my weaknesses? what is it about the way they played shot X that made it difficult to return?

Good luck!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What an excellent post by MSeeley!!

7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thank you
    Mseeley I appreciate it :)

8. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    I have the same problem, 20+ hours of Badminton + trainning. I feel my moves are getting much better yet sometime several day after breaking my limit, I will even lose badly to a friend who is usually play at my level.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Young you may be, but everyone's muscles need time to recover.

The challenger likes this.
  10. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    My elbow start killing me recently, and it's a golf elbow :p

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    My elbow has pain as well it's starting.

12. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Bro TS: I think you should do some jogging and also some weight training to supplement your badminton ..

13. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I'm young still I don't want to do weights because my muscles are still developing & I will do some running and jogging but I'm okay now I performed at my peak today ☺️ thank you everybody for your feed back!

14. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    Haha, goodluck then.
    I will have to try jogging and doing some weight trainning too lol.

15. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Good luck to you too shenvi ((:)

16. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    There is nothing wrong with doing weights when you are younger, you just have to make sure not to go overboard or go to heavy. If you don't want to use weights then you can always do body weight exercises and psychometric/explosive stuff, they are very useful for badminton and doing them while adding even 5-10lbs in a weight vest or some other way not only makes them all the more harder but will help to strengthen your muscles and benefit you more.

On another note to your original question/post. If you play with the same people a lot they will learn how you play and how to counter your game. It could have just been an off day as your body was tired from all the badminton. They could have had a great day or improved their skills. There's many factors but what matters the most is how you played, you cant measure your success based on how many points other players get on you, it has to be on how you played. MSeeley put it very well in his post so I don't need to or mean to reiterate it.

17. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Oh I see, I just was told that I wasn't supposed to lift weights but if a little bit is okay then it is :), thank you nbonkowsky :)

18. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Excellent post by MSeeley.

19. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

Agreed. MSeeley has summed it up perfectly.

Just to add, improvement in game can be quite rapid from let's say beginner to intermediate. As you improve, the speed at which you can improve starts slowing down. I have seen newcomers (complete novices), get up to beginner-intermediate level in 3-6 months with regular play (5-6) days a week. But you can't expect the same jump in 3-6 months if you are an intermediate or advanced player. So if you felt that you could defeat your opponents easily earlier, it could be that they gaining ground quickly (may be coming from lower level of play).

Also, as others pointed out as you play regularly they (opponents) start sensing what you are going play and how you will move. I get into the same situation sometimes, and I take a break of 1-2 days.

I guess your learning curve is flattening out now as perhaps you play intermediate-advance level. I would suggest mixing up your strategy and strokes and adding some deception to your game.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Found this interesting talk on negative thinking and how it sticks.

[video=youtube_share;7XFLTDQ4JMk]http://youtu.be/7XFLTDQ4JMk[/video]