Serving: Are you winning the tactical battle?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Stupendous, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Stupendous

Stupendous New Member

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanks Stu, you have given the reasons and intentions for a good serve. Now, can't wait for part 2, where hopefully you'll discuss on how to perform the perfect low backhand serve. :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I had started a thread on this half a year ago here (before it got slightly side tracked) :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/132378-Video-Backhand-short-serve

This is how I do it: a fast but short push with a tad of supination with a crisp contact onto the bird with the cork aimed at the stringbed. I prefer fast push as this action is very similar to a flick action.

The contact point on the stringbed is at the top of the racket, at 1-2 o'clock within the first few strings closest to the serving hand. I find this area has the least rebound and the best control and consistency of the shuttle angle, direction and distance.

My aim is usually within a few inches of the racket shoulder and cheek, varying depending on whether the receiver biases to his forehand or backhand. The trajectory after crossing the net seems good and low, usually falling below tape level within a foot of the tape, so that looks not killable.

[video=youtube_share;ROV4vJsehjo]http://youtu.be/ROV4vJsehjo[/video]

I'd be interested in others sharing how they do it.

#3 visor, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

And btw, I find that thinner rougher textured strings at higher tensions are much better for serves. Eg. ZM62/65, BG66UM, BG80, VS850 are all better than say BG65, NBG98.

5. Herzfrequenz

Herzfrequenz Regular Member

Visor, short push adds sharpness and speed?

6. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    Great article. Can't wait for the next post. However, would like some examples of " I am drawing up a mental picture of exactly where my opponent does and does not want me to serve to – based on their own body language.". Are there specific postures/ grip styles that give specific clues or info to you? Would be helpful to understand this aspect more.

7. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

We could list, I say, hundreds of clues for grips, postures and even eye contact from the opponent.

For example, the opponent may leave a big gap so that you might serve there and he could take advantage of that by trapping you to his gameplay.

8. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Nice post. I do some of things but not all like watching the opponents grip and racquet position so I'll definitely look out for those things next time!As other people already said, it would be great if you could include a few examples. Maybe you could include a few video examples of great serves and the follow up shots from matches on youtube (or in a gif). This would be a very long process but I can't think of a better way to illustrate your points. I was thinking of examples from your post such as denying a player his favourite return, serving according to opponents grip/position, aiming the shuttle closer to the opponent's body etc.