how to smash with a light racquet?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dsmbooster, Apr 6, 2014.

1. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    for double, the new trend is using light racquet for faster defence and drive shots, but I can't generate power shot as heavy racquet,
    in theory, Force = mass x acceleration
    in order to achieve the same force as heavy racquet we must increase acceleration, for example a pro player use 92gr racquet to hit a bird average 250km/hr, now he/she uses 76gr racquet, in order to get the bird fly at 250km/hr he/she must increases acceleration a lot (but 16gr different in weight can't make alot faster), but for me when i use 4u racquet the smash is noway near 3u racquet, eventhough 4u is little faster but not alot faster to generate same force as using 3u racquet? how do i train to smash 4u racquet as powerful as 3u racquet?
    thanks all.

2. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    Hold the racket at the lowest grip..so the racket will be feel heavier...and hold the racket tight and firm

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    you need to change the way you think. With if the speed of the shuttle is not as fast as with a heavier racket, a lighter racket still have a few advantages:

1. with a lighter racket, your preparation for the smash will require less time and less energy.
    2. your execution of your smash will be quicker.
    3. your execution of the smash requires less energy.
    4. the placement of the smash will be broader.

4. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    But still, no one got the answer yet, with the light racquet the bird is slower and your opponents can defend easily. My point is how the pro players can execute shots with light racquet as fast as heavy one?
    F=m x a

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #5 pcll99, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    mobin2012 likes this.
  6. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

The force F in your equation is actually being applied on the racquet, not the shuttle. The speed of the shuttle is determined by the principal of conservation of momentum.

#6 NOLE.LUCKY, Apr 6, 2014
    mobin2012 likes this.
  7. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    may be you'r just done HS, but I did that over 20 years ago, so I cant' remember the formula, but the idea is force to hit the bird, mass of the racquet and the speed of your swing. if you going school they should teach you what's respect, not insulting other people. or start to go back to school and learn the basic of human behavior and start to behave like a human being.

tkmdr likes this.
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sorry you felt offended.

Nole.lucky has correctly answered your original question.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I have made some changes to my post, which is in bold.

#9 pcll99, Apr 6, 2014
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

actually it is more accurate to use kinetic energy

KE = 1/2 x mv^2

just do a google search on the forum, it has been discussed in many threads before

11. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Here is a challenge. Can someone put together a physics lesson with badminton racket, shuttle, gravity, air density (resistance, KE, P, F) as illustration/explanation ? Just use the classic Newtonian... with a badminton favor :)
    The advanced version of this paper would incorporate hitting technique (pronation etc) - explain in science/physics.
    I bet you future badminton books will "borrow" it.

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Don't get hooked up with physics, equations, da di da di da...the man's question in how to generate power even with a light racket.

I use a light racket. I must say, my smash is not as powerful as when I used to with a heavy head racket. But I think that's the intention. Light offers quicker response time. My doubles are much better with a light racket because I often have a smasher partner.

Now, back to your original question, I don't know what to say really. You still smash like you would with any racket. Holding your grip at the bottom - I do that with heavy head rackets too. I felt my smash was weaker as well when I swithced to a lighter racket. I got very nervous about it too. After some time, the dust settled. From hard to believe, I transitioned to acceptance and made accommodations like getting ready with holding the base of the grip prior to smash.

13. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    now we're in the same boat, at least someone understand me, I brought up this discussion because people always said "with proper technique" you can execute light racquet as powerful as heavy racquet, then I brought up the formulas, there're only 3 variables in the equation, to keep Force (F) or P, KE...whatever on the left side of the equation the same, lower the mass (m)of the racquet, to yield faster respond, and that tiny bit (change in time) can't help to generate powerful shot as heavy racquet. and the fastest racquet on earth with 493km/hr is still 2u. the old saying " you win some , you lose some" stated that you gain some speed you lose some power and vice versa. so my conclusion is
    Force of light racquet < than force of heavy racquet. and there's no technique to improve power smash shots , keeping other variables constant.
    when I compare 2 racquets, I must keep everything the same, such as technique, position on the handle....

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

yeah, the gist of it is that shuttle speed is around 1.6-1.8x racket head speed at impact

but there's a human physiological limit as to how fast we can swing our arm, so all we can do is to experiment with various rackets of different swing weights to see where our max speed is and where our optimal racket weight is

and after that, there's the experiment with various shaft stiffness, strings and tension, etc... it never ends... ;)

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    why kinetic energy more accurate than momentum?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

lol... to tell the truth, i don't remember why, it's in that thread somewhere... some of the more advanced physicists and mathematicians agreed so...

and anyways, KE (not P or F) was mentioned in a Yonex catalogue a few yrs ago, so we assume Yonex must be an expert at this, right?

18. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    I am going to ignore equations and just say TECHNIQUE. Hit with high velocity, make sure your contact is centre, tighten your grip at execution point, body rotation(and other rotations.... like left arm support, legs power..... watch rammasuen's smash video (forgot his name hue hue)), and remember to breathe out as you are executing your smash.

So... why all this?
    velocity - you know...speed yeah that stuff ;) ****beware do not wreck your arm with reckless swinging
    contact point - optimal power of string bed (*&^% YEAH!)
    tighten fingers- finger power adds a little boost of power ^(@_@)^
    body rotation - adds power to push or accelerate your racket forward! YAY!
    breathe out - exhale the CO2 out of your body.

Well you might think, yeah I know that already???????
    Well if you have a new racket and one that is lighter, you normally won't be swinging as fast as heavy racket and when you swing fast, you are not accustomed to hitting squarely. Look at your form and try to adjust to it. ***Light rackets can reach a very high swing speed that makes the smash speed awesome, but after you reach that high swing speed the power is at it's peak.

Pay attention to your technique and timing. Majority of it comes from proper technique and flexing the racket.

arsh likes this.
  19. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    now you hit the central point of the topic, with all the techniques above, can you smash a light racquet as powerful as heavy racquet? or you win some and lose some? forgone some power and gain some speed?

20. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    If you can use both rackets and hit the maximum speed of your joints, a head heavy racket will give you more kinetic energy. Whether you want to do that or not is absolutely up to your genetics that your shoulder or arm doesnt break.

Light racket swings are obviously faster than head heavy rackets normally. However, there will be some threshold that once you swing to your own maximum speed or around that area you will most likely not get much difference. Which is where difference in head-weights come in.

According to the new yonex z-speed light racket it is the best for smash velocity.
    Or is it because it has good air resistance?
    Or is it because a professional who has good genetics and technique used it ?

In general, if you have the technique and range-of-motion to swing at a high velocity then, yes light headed racket(z-speed) would be better head heavy racket, unless you can swing the same speed with both rackets.