Split step: Landing on Heels or balls of feet?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rogers89, Apr 3, 2014.

1. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum and quite new to badminton as well (been playing for a year). Since i like singles more than doubles i try to focus a lot on footwork but something that has me a little confused is the execution of the splitstep more specifically the part of the step where you land.
    So far i've been split stepping and landing on my heels. It may be just my inexperience with footwork but it doesn't seem be as effective as it should be, as in, it feels like the split step is not a split step.

In this post it says you should stay on the balls of your feet:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38738.html
    but after watching lee chong wei's footwork slowed down:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMmokBFgk0
    it looks like he often lands on his heels when split stepping.

Generally, are you supposed to land on your heel and push off or on the balls of your feet? Thanks!

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Land on the balls of your feet. You get too much shock if you land on your heels.

3. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Is that something we should always do? Does landing on your heels ever have an advantage because i'm pretty sure in the video i see many times where lee chong wei lands on his heels. I see this in many other pro players as well mainly when they are defending smash.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To prevent injuries to your feet

IMHO, when moving forward, land on your heels.

When moving backwards/sidewards, land on your balls of your feet.

This is to prevent injuries to your feet.

5. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Awesome thanks for the insight. Still curious tho, why do pros land heels first in smash defense consistently?

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Few years ago, I asked the same question. I was directed to photos of pro landing on heels and extreme technicalities of why this vs that. After years of trying out and playing, I think, my 2cents (before I get bombarded by experts here), you need to be quite ready that your mind tells you the next step is to land there, with your heels first on earth. You need to be quick enough to twitch your leg muscles so that your leg is thrown outwards but not too forceful and not 'just in time' for receiving the shot. Not sure if I'm making sense here, you know what I mean?

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Send us the link of that thread

Please send us the link of that thread; I would like to read what had been said.

8. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Monster so you think heels first regardless? It seems to me what your explaining is just what split stepping is. Was there a reason you thought heels should touch the ground?

9. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Rogers, to be frank with you, I often land on the balls of my foot too. I think I do that because of my poor / slow footwork.

As others have pointed out, when you land on your heel, you would / should have your lower leg (the part with your calf muscles, not sure what it's called) thrown outwards. This enables you to stand a better chance to pull back if you have to move backwards immediately (e.g. when you are tricked to move to the front just to find out that your opponent lifts the birdie to your back). Also, when you land on your heels (again, you would have a bit of outstep from your lower leg relative to your thigh and your abdomen), you exert less body weight on perpendicularly on your crying knees.

When you land on your balls, toes etc your momentum still thrust forwards. You are pretty much committed to that forward motion. Anyway last minute diversion will be going against your momentum. That is tougher.

#9 Monster, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. Monster

Monster Regular Member

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I do not think that is the correct thread - it is about lunging. When you lunge, heel first is essential to protect your joints and stop your forwards momentum.

However, the split step is a little different - you do not want to stop yourself moving but start the movement.

If you could find the articles you read before, I would be interested to see them! I have always seen it taught (at a national level) that you split and land on your toes. However, anything with an alternate view would be interesting to read.

On a side note: I swear LCW lands on the balls of his feet first. Watched his most recent matches, and I can't remember seeing him land on his heels first. If anyone can find any footage, that would be greatly appreciated!

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

It seems like lunging has been in my head for some reason. I need a sleep.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To be honest, to me it looks like he lands on the balls of his feet. Sometimes he moves immediately after this, and sometimes he then lets his heel drop to the floor as well (and then he pushes off).

I would say - land on your toes first.

Please find me a part of the video where it looks like he is landing heels first - I would be interested to take a look.

14. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    http://youtu.be/haMmokBFgk0
    Right after this shot for defense it seems to me he lands with heel, not necessarily first but with his heels as well. It might be just me 'n my amateur eyes.

Also, over this weekend I tried split stepping w/ the toes of my feet instead of my heels and I've seen great improvement so I definitely think it would be with the toes of the feet (unless someone else has evidence otherwise). At the same time, in the instance above it seems to me that LCW lands with his heels/entire foot.

15. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Sorry to double post the link was supposed to take you to 0:57 but it didn't :(.
    Other instances include 1:27 again defense, 1:34 (maybe, less obvious to me), and 1:43.

Thanks for everyone's insight so far lotta help! :)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Same with any sport, land of balls of feet first, then heel touches, then push off on balls again.

Eg. boxing, basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Whilst LCW DOES land with his whole foot (sometimes), he lands on his toes first (and then his heels). As Visor said, this is normal.

I wouldn't expect any player to worry about whether their heels hit the floor or not - the important thing is that you push off as quickly as you can.

Good luck!

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    what you can't see is the weight distribution inside the shoe. He has more weight on the balls of his foot even though the shoe may be planted on the floor.
    Sometimes he might go on his heels but I think it's more of the situation and the flight of the shuttle.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I think the OP is overthinking this.

One just has to try doing it the opposite way (landing on the heel first) to realize how biomechanically unsound that is and to realize there's really no other way than to land on the balls of the feet first.

Not only you can't preload the calf muscles for a jump (which is the whole reason for the split step btw!), but you're also transferring the shock of landing up into the spine!

20. rogers89

rogers89 Regular Member

n/a
    Haha your definitely correct. I wanted to have some extra info before I went to try a different way. It seemed to me before from watching some videos that people landed with heels but trying it out definitely didn't work as well as landing on the toes. Thanks a lot! My singles games feel a lot more smooth now.