Unintentionally Slicing When Smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Justheretoplay, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    I don't notice it myself but the coach for my school team and other people have noticed that I tend to slice the bird when I smash. (Not pronating soon enough) I'm not sure if this is also related to creating a blister on my index finger when I smash a lot during games. Anyone have any idea how I could fix my problem and if it is related to causing the blister on my finger? Perhaps I am gripping my racket wrong when I smash? :confused:

2. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    I have this kind of problem as well. I will always slice the shuttle unintentionally during smashes. What I did was I make sure my racket face downwards for the first step, then only I will proceed with the "load" and "release" of the smash...

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you have access to a smartphone or camera with video capability?

Take some footage of your stroke from a front view and a back view.

It's best if you steady the camera on a tripod for reduce shake.

You can look for an app that will do the replay in slow motion or slow motion the footage on computer at home.

Examine it yourself and compare with some slow motion clips of the international players.

Are you using plastic or feather shuttles?

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the same problem here, do your smashes tend to veer slightly from the intended target or do they go straight?

5. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    they do go to the place I want most of the times. But sometimes it will still veer slightly.
    Now I have corrected my smashed like I mentioned above. By listening to the sound when shuttle contacted with the racket face, I know that I'm more consistent in hitting it flat now.

Plus its getting alittle bit louder as wel.. :) Just that I injured my shoulder and I could no longer hit as hard as I want..

6. Justheretoplay

Student
    Using plastic for school but I trained on feather a while back though.

The bird usually tends to fly straight but I don't really notice the sound. I think when I hit it flat instead of a slice, it makes a loud boom instead, or maybe I just happened to hit the sweet spot with good technique... I'm not sure...

#6 Justheretoplay, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I believe you are having a hard time when you do a clear too.

I used to have the same problem until i know how important is the pronation of the arm.

You can hold your racket in anyway you want but to get a good smash, a good pronation must take place and add up a bit from ur wrist.

I studied Jimmy Lin's video in youtube about pronation of the arm. It works wonder.

Hope it helps

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have a feeling that plastics don't give the right feedback. Although you slice the plastic shuttle, the spin doesn't slow the shuttle so much. So you are not getting the feedback of your stroke on the shuttle flight.

Take the advice above. Also try to get some feather shuttles and experiment with smashes - no need to do full power - just half smashes but trying to get a good contact and no slice.

9. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

I've studied Jimmy Lin's video on pronation, but to me, when I watch slow motion footage of the pros when they smash, the contact point looks more to the right, rather than high above compared to Jimmy Lin's. For example, the smash in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZwvQn5Uf0I around 1:13 demonstrates what I mean.
    As a result, the racket is moving more in a "direct line" around the contact, versus Jimmy Lin's, it looks like the racket is "swiveling" around the contact point if you understand what I mean. Does this contribute to a potential slice?

10. Akaya

Akaya New Member

Physio-Student
    I made an account just to reply to this.
    Regarding your blister. I've gotten them aswell when playing with a normal grip.
    Switched to Towel Grip in my younger days. and that pretty much saved my hands. but if you don't like playing with Towel Grip, i'd just deal with it. with tape.

Regarding your smash, i think we'll need to see you hit the shot in action.
    It's mearly just have a feeder doing high serves to you and then just make sure. to get a good angle. and keep hitting until you actualy hit a smash. and not a slice.
    Experiementing is the way to go :)

11. Justheretoplay

Student
    Thanks for the reply! I feel honoured :p

I've never tried a towel grip, that shall be the next grip I buy. Regarding the the tape, I would wrap it around my finger to prevent the grip rubbing against it right?

12. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    can you tell which way you are slicing the shuttle? for a right hander, right to left or left to right or both? its common to see the right to left unintentional slice from right handed players, paul steward does a good video on this which might help, can't find it at the moment but will post when i do. Have you also tried adjusting your traditional forehand grip about 10 degrees inwards and outwards to see if that produces a cleaner smash.

13. Justheretoplay

Student
    I think I'm not pronating enough so would that be right to left? Like if I were to swing, I wouldn't turn the racket face quick enough resulting in contacting the shuttle on an angle with the racket head. I am right handed so the bird would end up flying over to the left.

14. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I think timing issues becomes more difficult with faster smashes. It might be a good idea to try and go from half-smashes (50-70%) first in order to get the pronation correct. You can add more power gradually once you get the hang of it.

15. salmon89

salmon89 New Member

Student
    If your clears are fine, but your smashes aren't, then try offsetting the orientation of your racket in your hand before swinging.Spin it such that the racket face is flat at the smash's point of contact.As charliebadders said, a small adjustment of 10 degrees or so outwards should do the trick.