Responding to the "High" (clears, drops, lifts) game in singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by allthatfog, Mar 23, 2014.

1. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    Hi all,

Just wondering about the tactics used when counteracting a high game in singles where the clears, drops and lifts are commonly used. Reason? I was training with my sparring partner and his knee hurt so he used the high serve rather than the backhand low serve he commonly uses and continued to slow the pace of the game. Of course, I used a faster repertoire of shots like drives, smashes and attacking clears to try to add speed to the game but he was very good at slowing the game down. Though he is a lot better than me, I recently have been catching up but his control outplays me by a whole other level.

(Background info: I am a junior player in U17 age category)

The match went to 3 games, where I won the first with my full energy. However, in the 3rd game I was too tired from trying to speed up the game and being "positive" and I grew too frustrated about the slowness of the rallies.

Asking anyone who knows what I should do in situations like these? All knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

when you play a fast shot, you have to back it up with fast movement to keep the pressure on otherwise it's just wasted energy. If your oppo wants to rally then you have to pick your moment for attacking. If you don't penetrate, then you have to accept it and rebuild the rally.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

If he's injured, just move him around to all four corners. But your shots have to be accurate to use the whole court effectively.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    :D I'm sure there's a chinese saying for this tactic. LOL

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A different approach is needed. As you found, playing full speed through out is very difficult. With players like these, you need patience and consistency to rally until you see an opening to speed up the rally. In neutral positions, there is a tendency to try to speed up the game with a fast shot and force the speed. However, you probably found you get into awkward positions if it doesn't come off perfectly. The opponent pulls you out of position or you have played it into the net or even out of court.

With these neutral positions, you need to play the neutral game. i.e. patient game. Play high clears back with the aim of moving the opponent off of his baseline. Possibly 2 to 3 clears ratio to one drop. Play to make him move and change direction rather than too many shots making him run the direct diagonal. Change the speed of the rally within the rally - so a few high clears and drops might give you a slightly short shuttle to smash - however it might not be an outright winner. So instead of a full smash, go for a clipped smash with steepness. This will quicken the pace temporarily. Experienced opponents can adjust to this change of pace so be prepared to move down tempo as well.

Basically, the objective is to probe around waiting for the opponent to hit to your strong area or creating a series of strokes that gradually lead the opponent to your strengths.

So, you will need to work on consistency of your neutral and defensive shots (e.g. digging the shuttle out of the back corners) and with that consistency, keeping the quality of the shots. This means more boring training working on keeping rallies going but is highly essential in adapting to tricky opponents.

The spinning netshot is a great weapon. You can try to lead the opponent into playing to the net for you to play the spinning netshot. Then he will lift the shuttle short which you can try to bury it. Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen (current BWF president) had a great spinning netshot which most people could not return to the back of the court.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you naturally play the fast game, being able to slow the rally down is a good tactic to recover some breath within the rally. Be careful of the opponent speeding up at this point.

7. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

I'd tend to agree with the strategy you employed. With someone with a game primarily doing lifts and clears, punishing them for all the high shots would be the simple way to go. The pace itself should be what would make your shots the most potent, e.g. slow drop to move your opponent and expect the lift to finish it with a smash. You can also smash and follow up swiftly at the net to try and kill a weak reply.

For someone who's technically superior, it's hard to play exactly the way you want. You can most definitely vary your pace by first opening the rally up with flat clears, and moving your opponent by doing sharp drops, and once they're out of position finish off with some aggression. For that example, you first employ a slower pace and only attack when there's an actual opening.

You should watch some Chen Long rallies, he's a great example of a player who doesn't have the same level of aggression as the likes of LCW and LD. He does however possess the uncanny ability to attack exactly at the right moments to win points and a incredibly consistent set of strokes.

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Just wonder if you notice what movements hurt him more. If this exists, and you can find out, then...

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Can you beat him when he is health? If not, get a hammer and aim at his other knee.