Backhand slice, basic grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Metaphor, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Metaphor

Metaphor Regular Member

Anyone who could explain how this shot should be executed? Any videos? I'm struggling big time with this sliced backhand crosscourt dropshot. 50% of the time I either misshit or hit the shuttle with the frame, and when I make a contact, the shuttle usually ends up with a high trajectory to the opponent's midcourt. I know I need to practice more but I would like to have some tips. My forehand slice shots are decent but I feel backhand slice/reverse slice are a lot more difficult.

And one more thing concerning the basic grip. I have learned to play with the grip Jimmy Lin teaches in his Pronation Technique video [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ ], where you hold the racket mainly with the thumb and the index finger, other three fingers being relaxed. Pinky finger and ring finger are not curled around the handle, they hardly even rest on the same bevel as the thumb. This grip feels very comfortable and loose, and I have great touch with it - however I felt I lacked power in my clears and smashes so I tried this "pinky grip" which is basically the same but now the pinky finger and ring finger are curled around the handle tightly, thumb and index finger being loose. I think with this adjustment I get more power for the overhead shots but at the same time I lose touch, and the forearm feels tense. So which one is better and more commonly used? The thumb+index finger grip or pinky+ring finger grip? Or does it depend on the situation? My coach said I shouldn't focus on these kind of things, just practice to get better... but I can't help myself!

#1 Metaphor, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Jimmy Lin has a backhand video. You might want to watch that, he gives some reasons to why he uses the different backhand grip hope it helps.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

with b/h XC drop try to make a pretty clean contact, ie minimal slice.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Somehow I remember this exact same question came up a few wks ago and we already answered it...