weird clearing problem?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Mar 6, 2014.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Whenever I clear, the bird does a strange "flip" thing (I don't really know any better way to describe it) and veers ever so slightly to the left( I wanted to hit straight). If I try compensating for it, the bird veers off to the right instead :mad:
    I know this sounds like a silly question, but how do I clear the bird in a straight line so I can leave all of the veering business behind?
    (I'm using plastic mavis 350's if that helps, in school gym)

2. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I think you are slicing the shuttle and not hitting the shuttle with the racquet head facing front.

Try a practice swing with your racquet (no shuttle) but do it slowly and see if at the point of likely contact, is your racquet head facing front.

3. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Yeah.... The only thing i can think of by what your describing is either as said above, slicing the shuttle, or... Dodgy shuttles, or a dodgy racket lol. a strange "flip" is hard to picture visually (maybe thats just me) because I cant actually see you do it, but one of those reasons seem the most probable - thanks.

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hmm... how should I go about correcting this problem? I've tried the shadow swings in the mirror, but the results on court are much different. I know about pronation and thejym's video ( which I've watched many times), but when I try it, I either hit the bird way left, or way right.

5. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

Try making very small adjustments to your grip instead of trying to compensate by turning your racket face, if the shuttle is going left try panhandling a bit more, if it's going to the right move you basic grip abit more towards the thumb grip

6. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hmm, changing the grip slightly towards panhandle might work. However, you would lose some power from the pronation right?

7. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

Possibly the opposite, I can panhandle as far as 45 degrees for most smashes, I actually get more power with the partial panhandle, Coach Lee Jae Bok teaches this for adding extra power

I and I'd wager most others use the basic grip for clears, as I said very small adjustments just to make the shuttle fly straight, try it out and report back

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a coach, I am going to beg you not to change from the correct grip just because you as yet lack the accuracy you want. Post a video of your clears to help us to help you, but do not start panhandling! You will limit your capabilities as a player. Remember - the shuttle will go wherever your palm is facing. If the shuttle is going in the wrong direction, you are pointing your strings in the wrong direction. Changing grip is not the best way to correct this issue... instead, start AIMING at the target.

If you want some advice on how to train these overhead shots, send me a private message.

Good luck!

9. mrsmile

mrsmile Regular Member

Student
    mavis 350? wait till you play net shot

10. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

So today I asked my doubles partner to look at the face of my racket at contact on the smash. He said it was pointed too much to the right side, and not to the front. I determined that I have been over-pronating my forearm for clears and smashes.
    How should I remind myself to not "over-pronate" the forearm?

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

I believe you can never over-pronate, it's just a matter of where your pronation is at the moment of shuttle impact. So it's just about finding the timing. I think try not to focus on pronation, just try to hold a good basic grip, lead the shot with your elbow bringing it forward, and try to hit the shuttle straight. The pronation will occur automatically as long as you lead with the elbow.

#11 vixter, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  12. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Haha its hard for me to not focus on pronation since I practice so often. I will try not to think about it too much, in fact, thinking about too much is probably what led me to this problem in the first place.

13. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey everyone,

So far I've made a lot of improvements to my stroke. Clears are going a lot straighter, but smashes still need some work. Sometimes I tense up too much and try to force the pronation (bad habit) and end up hitting the smash to the right instead of straight forward. So to clarify, the elbow should point forwards first, and then hit and follow through?