Request for a Diving 101 post from a pro

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jackalan, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

I know there are probably many other far more effective ways of improving your badminton, but it seems the top professionals often dive in a match, while those with lower rankings rarely or never dive.

Plus it looks so cool! xD

So could someone please provide a summary of

- The general technique, how to land ect
    - Progression for beginners
    - Conditioning and training

Thank you so much for this whoever bothers to reply :)

2. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I second this motion! Unfortunately, lots of casual badminton floors are hard, hard surfaces (especially where I am). Diving could cause a lot of injury, unless I start wearing those kneepads made out of that special material: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDeJ7rLUYU

3. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Yeah I wouldn't mind this either. Good defense is just as important as having an effective attack. Pointless if you can't take it when the opponent dishes it out!

4. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    Bestoncourt have very good videos on this in its expert section. Not a dive as such but uses your hands contact of the floor to maintain balance.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Do NOT dive with your body; you must dive using your extremities so you can recover.
    This is how I dive: Lead with your hands, hit the shot, then land with one open hand and one hand completely over (as opposed to under) your racket, and land on your racket and open hand to absorb momentum. I usually pivot a little bit on my hand but not the racket.
    Note: I have a thicker grip and I don't recommend using this technique if you only use an overgrip. Also, this is for sideways diving.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Just watch slow mo videos of LCW diving. He's the only one who can dive and recover in time for the next shot.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[video=youtube;2dbhwZ3lFZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbhwZ3lFZY[/video]

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ok here's what I learned from diving.

1.Always before you dive be in a low to the ground position knees bent(not standing tall)
    2.Have your body arched slightly on landing to prevent any impact on your face, knees, also relax ankles to prevent stubbing your toes if big dive.
    3. If you plant non racket hand extend your non racket arm in front enough to account for slide(If you planted non racket hand and slide beyond where you planted it you can get it kinda stuck and get a nasty pain in wrist)
    4. The racket hand landing - best if you can keep racket in air and use the edge of the rackets butt cap to take the weight. This prevents racket getting damaged or fingers being trapped underneath. You can also open your hand on landing(make sure racket head is flat to groung), land on your knuckles or keep racket and hand off ground completely and just use forearm to skid on.
    5. Hit the shuttle before your core lands.
    6. get back up like getting on a surf board

9. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I personally look at Chen Long for recovery but LCW is definitely better known for his dives!!!

10. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

One advice: dont do that if you are not a pro especially for a reason to look cool! Even 80% of those pros, they tried to avoid diving at any cost... especially if only to look "cool" to the fans. Improper diving, can cause you either temporary or permanent injure which can cease your badminton activities. Diving is advisable IF (0.) Your family/girlfriend live is at stake if opponent wins (1.) You are at the World Championship/Super Series/Olympic competition or equivalent, (2.) Points are very crucial for winning the semifinal or final matches, (3.) Every point taken by your opponent means less bonus from your government or sponsor, (4.) Either LCW or LD or CY or PG or CL or LYD or JJS is the one train you, (5.) You are within top 50 of BWF ranking, (6.) You are at the swimming pool or under the sea or above 20.000feet on the ground, (7.) You are a goal keeper in soccer match. I've seen few "cool" intermediate players do some diving with the result either useless action (shuttle landed anywhere but you opponent court or oponent easily anticipate your return shuttle) or breaking the racket/elbow/wrist/jaw/nose/teeth/knee. There are other reliable and effective defenses than diving.

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I agree with arfandy, I generally tend not to dive and I'm just a social player. Doesn't mean I cannot. I'm pretty fast moving around, just that as I improve, I am in a better position to anticipate the return shot of the birdie and the less I am out of position. I used to dive more and I don't miss it. Diving is more in singles because of the larger court to cover, diving in doubles, now you really got beat or are really out of position. When I play with friends and see they dive, I joke and thank them for wiping down the court and they missed a spot.