[Video] Where Should I Improve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by exalted, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Wanted to post a recent clip of myself playing. I am in red practicing against two friends, my doubles side is "in".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFrHs9em6Sg

Stamina is a big issue for me, but any technique / footwork suggestions? Of course my level is not anything to write home about so would like to have constructive criticism.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

You seem to play ok, but there are 2 things to mention:

1. You need to sharpen your technique when it comes to producing videos.
    2. You need to get better training-buddies. Despite the fact that this is 2vs.1, they are to weak to put any pressure on you. So we can't really judge what you do wrong, as you're pretty relaxed and in your comfort zone...

3. xander1005

xander1005 Regular Member

+1

rly agreed with point 2

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    basically same as above, you seem like a half decent player but the guys you are playing against arent pushing you at all.

Fix camera lol

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Well, your training partners are too weak and put the shuttle nicely to you. They don't push you to your borders. The lob and clear too much. Too much high and steep netplay. The don't put you under pressure and don't make you to run. If you would choose 2 guys at your level, it would be interesting to see, how you act.

6. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Ok from the first few minutes I saw a few of your techniques. Overall, they are okay for the intermediate level. But if you want to get better than I suggest you pay more attention to your technique (1:15 your drop doesn't look like a drop it looks really forced) because it isn't smooth enough.

Also I noticed at (1:29) I am questioning whether that smash was a forced shot. I notice that alot of people tend to do a forced weak shot like a slow drop or a weak smash because they can't get there in time. If at (1:29) your friend pushed you about 5 cm would you have been able to clear it perfectly to the back. I noticed that at (2:45) when your friend pushed you back you were unable to clear it to the back which means you need to work on footwork, technique and anticipation.

You should try to work on your backhand (4:34) tells me you can't really backhand if it goes behind you. Which means you need to work on footwork, but besides footwork you should know how to get there and change your grip from backhand grip to bevel grip or even panhandle grip to back hand it properly. Because a change in grip allows your racket face to face directly to the net. Try testing it out sometime or watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XrnkvVSCU .
    Yeah I think you should work on your backhand because I don't think you can backhand clear you always tend to do a forced weak shot like a backhand drop or some weak backhand smash.

Against your friends/opponents if you want to practice something try practicing a 2 types of shots only. Say for example I will only clear and net shot. That way you won't do any other shots to see if you have problems at certain scenarios.

GL HF

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    agree on both the video bit, and you need to tell your partners to play harder than just swatting flies, if that's the best they can do, then ditch them and find someone as strong as you because you might be able to work on your consistency here, but they will never be able to push you. if i can take a guess you're probably only playing at most 50% of your full potential?

8. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Nobody mentioned this, which I find strange because it's the most critical and obvious thing to me. Your elbow doesn't control your racket movement, you always move it up in the last split second haphazardly. Your "ready" stance is with the racket almost touching the floor. You will always be late to the shuttle like this, for no reason other than a lazy right arm.

9. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    against these 2, you are ok. didn't see you get pushed; hence didn't see the "real" recovery step....it is almost all "walking" back to base.

10. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Thanks for the comments. I can backhand clear but I have problems doing anything besides a straight drop if the shuttle goes past my body. I want to add cross-court drop to my arsenal and that involves going from bevel grip to panhandle, something I need to practice.

These guys are the best in my area, admittedly they weren't playing their hardest. I will try restricting my shots and see how that goes as well.

11. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Can you explain this in further detail? I would also like confirmation from others that I am indeed, lifting my elbow "too late". I haven't heard this comment before and would just like further elaboration.

12. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

It's not a complex issue so there isn't much to explain really. The elbow controls your preparation to the shuttle. You move your racket arm up just as the shuttle is coming at you. Imagine you throwing a ball, and you want to aim as accurate as possible and get as much power as possible. How do you proceed? You sure as hell don't start with your arm down and then instantly snap up and throw it. It's the same thing, same movement. You get more consistency and power (and have a choice to intercept the shuttle earlier) by lifting your racket arm earlier, or even better, having it up at all times.

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    good practice in singles , enjoyed the watching.

then a comparitive study here, I watched Peter Gade against
    Taufik for two minutes ... and ... well the unfair comparison:

first backhand wasn't even close to necessary ...
    the shuttle would have landed in the middle. watch for that:
    get behind the shuttle and smash it like bananas.

and then in a 2v1 situation you better play not singles, others would kill you,
    shoot the middle as in MD ... there was a G-A-P in 7 out of 8 minutes of the video

killing is not a luxury

you're aggressive, everybody gets that, but so slower than necessary. you need
    speed-train

in one scene, the shuttle crosses your head in the midcourt
    ready for a kill/push .. but your racket head was somewhere
    in the region of ... say ... the socks. cmon. however, problem
    is not your racket arm.

most dont keep up a racket either, but many more are super quick in getting it up. you\r
    not ... not yet.

The left arm does counter-balance any
    winding of right. You did it into the lunge for obvious reasons
    but then your left arm returns to 'hang around state', quick reminder:
    this is not paralympics, where they dont have that arm,
    you have one, so use it.

Taufik and Co are so much more often behind the shuttle
    in the rearcourt, you re not. Why is that?

Now forget 99% what I said and pick one you can work on :)

14. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Sorry, I updated the wrong thread. Let's use the other thread (this one can be closed). Sorry again!

#14 exalted, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  15. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    i dont know if it has been mentioned before, and im too lazy to read all the posts but there is some points you must know to improve your game.
    1. You are playing a pretty consistent game but slow (mainly at the end)

This type of gameplay is good when dealing with players lower than your level, but against people around your level or higher, you might find yourself troubled because you might be outpaced or outwitted.

One thing is that you were too offensive in the start and as you get tired, u slowed down significantly. You lack the intersecting mindset, some of the shots i see was just above your head, you could have intersected them making your game faster but u went all the way to the back to take it

2. You lack offensiveness during mid-end game

Your gameplay might work in an old 15 points system as you are saving a lot of energy however now we are playing 21 points system, u must win the game fast and not a gameplay where u wait for opponent to make mistakes

One way to train to be constantly on offense mode is sprinting. Im not saying u must be aggressive for every points but at least have some aggression like u had in the first few points spread over your game

3. Your backhand
    Too much backhands are used in your game, your backhand is decent but not superb, and it is one factor that slows you. You can do a few nicely placed shots with your backhand but by the time you execute the shots, your opponent already have enough recovery time to pull himself back up, a nice looking shot may not be a useful shot, keep that in mind.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY : Your Contact Point

This is the most striking error i saw in your gameplay, you take all your shots too low. try to raise your racket at net level when you are executing your net shots, you seem to like to delay them and take the shots at the bottom that will be lethal towards you in advanced gameplays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.