How do I should I play against others?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Steve the noob, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Hello, I'm 15 years old and I play on my schools' badminton team. Technically, I have better technique than my teammates. They don't use good footwork, nor do they have a high and far clear. They just run around trying to smack the bird down with as much power as they can.

Even when utilizing my skill set, I find it particularly difficult to play against them (singles). I'm the kind of player who hit's high clears and drops and nets the bird. I don't smash at every opportunity, maybe this is just because I don't have much confidence in them. I can return their smashes and such, however these games play out pretty close. I'm just wondering if I should be doing something, like using smashes more. Any tips would be helpful, and if you need details feel free to ask.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

In singles, it all depends on your ability to hit the 4 corners accurately from anywhere.

Clears must reach rear tramlines and drops must be before service line. Then it's just a matter of hitting away from your opponent and running him around until you get a weak reply, which you must put away with a kill.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If their footwork is so bad keep sending them back on themselves, play deep forehand, hold shuttle then play the deep forehand again or to their backhand, lots of holding the shuttle to expose their footwork. This will either stop them getting the shuttle or stop them getting behind it.

4. vixter

vixter Regular Member

In what way do you find it difficult to play against them? Because you say that they smash all the time, but that you can return these smashes. Do you always win or do they sometimes beat you too? If the score in the match is close, you are the same level. Practise your smash a lot, it's a very important shot so it's important to like it and have confidence in it.

5. Steve the noob

The matches are close, most of the times I end up winning the sets. The rallies take forever, but it's probably because I don't smash. I guess I'll start with that.

6. DRead

DRead Regular Member

Level 2 Coach
    I used to have the same problems when I was younger, I'd work hard on my technique and footwork but still struggle against the 'runners' - players who weren't very technical but ran the shuttle down and never gave up easy points

The thing with those types of players is that they will be more consistent and confident with their abilities because they have already settled on a tecnique. It may not be the best but they don't have to think about 'how' they do things, so they just play.

At the moment this will bridge the technical gap between you and your team mates but it won't last forever (unless they also training technique/footwork). Soon enough you'll become more confident in your technique and you'll also be able to just switch off and play. Try it a bit now, I often make more mistakes when trying to be 'too correct' as my partner often points out :3

7. izali

izali Regular Member

or dont let them smash. When you play low enough, then they cannt smash. I works at least for me :D.

8. fauci

fauci Regular Member

whatever shots you're going to make, use the same arm movement until shortly before the point of impact. Play smart and keep your runner opponent guessing. Improve shuttle speed, a dropshot doesn't have to be slow, for instance.

Runners could usually be easily defeated if your shots are really properly executed and the tactics are sound.

9. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    just hit opponent's 4 corners of his court

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Steve

What's the progress?

Are you know better?

11. Steve the noob

This thread is so old I didn't see it brought up in my notifications :eek:

I got a lot better since the time of posting, but I still feel my singles game is ridiculously weak. I can smash a lot better, but I can't control the rallies. By this I mean I can't put the bird where I want, when I want. I find this extremely difficult.

However in doubles I can do this, so the problem likely lies within combination of my footwork and timing. I often miss the bird in singles, especially on their lifts. I just hit too early...

12. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

I know this is an old thread that's been revived but just my 2 cents, seeing it wasn't brought up:

Have a sense of your opponent's movement/position throughout the point played. It's one thing to be able to hit well but if it just keeps going back to the opponent, then it's wasted. Exploit their positioning.

Think at least 1 - 2 shots ahead. Try to also anticipate at least 2 possible returns for the shot you are about to make and position yourself immediately after making that shot to cover the possibilities. You'll find yourself moving around the court more fluidly and less of getting caught out.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you using feather or plastic shuttles?

14. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

from the description it seems like you should be beating them very easily. Either you're not as good as described or they're better than you say.

Bad footwork with no far clear? That's the type that's very easy to beat, even without smashing at all. I don't get how you're struggling. When they run one way, send the shuttle the other way, that's all there is to it against this type of players.

15. Steve the noob

Feather in training sessions.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Feathers vs plastic don't make a difference if you can't hit the shuttle consistently!:)

And therefore, it's difficult to control the rallies.

17. Steve the noob

I agree. Yesterdays training session felt strange. I missed a bunch of birds that were very easy. Not sure if I had a bad day or am just getting worse.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Make sure footwork is correct.

Timing might need to be adjusted if you have grown or changed in muscle mass recently.

Go back to basic clears, smashes and drops in routines and work up from there.