Level 2 coaching certificate - not worth it.

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by London_Player, Mar 24, 2012.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Just seen some level 2 coaches train, some of whom are beginners yet they managed to become level 2 coaches, which is a high level coaching, only level 3 is higher and very rare and not many people take up. So we have coaches who can't even hold a racket properly and are teaching our kids and adults on how to improve their game. Many of them can't compete in the lowest leages, even those who are young.

Only good players should able to become coaches.

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

3. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Not yet, I'll do to express my concern and disgust. No wonder England is behind in Int Badminton. It's a disgrace.

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

We have the same system up here, but they are much more strict on the level 2 coaches. Level 1 though is much more lenient. Haven't witnessed a Level 3 before though.

5. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    Very good point! I know far too many 'coaches' who can barely play. When I was in county junior, the highest level of play in the region, my coach was terrible he couldn't perform any of the shots and got the kids to demonstrate. Visualisation is an important aspect in the memorisation in motor skills, if the person you are learning off has terrible technique you would have to watch a lot of pros play to learn proper technique through visualisation. Very hard seeing as badminton isn't shown on TV in the UK. A few years later I saw my former coach at a social badminton club found out he was not good enough to play local league badminton, with 5 divisions players should aim to play league badminton after a year or so of playing. I think a coach should have to play division 1 in a league, county seniors or masters.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think you would have a shortage of coaches.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

lol, agree Gollum

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I've not been on a coaching course so this is just guess/my impression from some second hand info: I don't think there is much requirement on ones own technical skills apart from being able to feed and demonstrate grips.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Things may have changed, but level 2 required a basic level of skill.

You had to be able to play the game at a basic level -- i.e. play a rally with some control and variety in your shots. You had to be able to demonstrate all the basic shots to some extent -- i.e. you might even be tested on hitting a backhand clear, but it wouldn't need to go more than half-court at most.

It's very inclusive, and that's sensible. Coaches are encouraged to continue working on their hitting and particularly feeding skills, but the badminton skill requirements to pass are not demanding.