the importance of yelling

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thumpsky, Aug 9, 2011.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    how important is it?

2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    depending on the player, yelling is as important as not yelling.

3. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Yelling to say what you're doing tactically/ positionally or yelling to exert more power into a shot- you might want to be more specific with your question :rolleyes:

Doesn't make a difference realistically for power, if you hear the top singles players they don't yell when they hit, but some of the doubles do, probably for a pyschological effect more than a physical one.

The singles players however do make a low noise tennis style grunt (i've noticed LD especially when he smashes). If you exhale suddenly, it also tenses / straightens the core- which enables stability and better recovery for the next shot.

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I sometimes grunt when smashing. After several grunted smashes...I do a grunt drop. :D
    Surprisingly it works 50% of the time.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I try to do the opposite: quiet when smash and yell when drop. :D

6. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    well.... depends on when you yell (during rally eg smash/drop), and why you yell (relates to when you yell)

I usually yell after I win an instense rally, often the second half (after interval). It gives me more self-confidence and faith, and it also relaxes my nerves, especially after winning a good rally.

interesting topic!

7. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    A good example here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcfOdbHMzw

The gent in the Orange shirt ,.Although it is not intentional , it can cause distraction to other players and off-putting. It could be an added disguise when hitting drop as well.

However, it can be little bit embarrassing when playing with a partner who yell , some people find it hilarious ...but who cares what they think

8. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its important for jus general talking with your partner. If you dont talk to your partner, ur going get confused and hit shots u shouldnt have. The amount of players who i see who dont watch their partners when they are being served to. Some shots r def out but cause the partner doesnt yell NOOOOOOOO!!!!!, he/she hits it.

Its good esp at the back of court I find esp cause ur partner cant always see you. I was smashing away and decided to do a drop shot but I could see my partner too for away from the net so when i dropped, i shouted "GO IN!!!!!!!!!" in which he did and he jus got the net return. If I hadnt done that, he def was not getting this net reply!!

9. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

I yell a lot in doubles to my partner. No real tactics but just "you" or "me". Most of the time that is sufficient. It also greatly depends on the partner as I sometimes play with a good buddy of mine and we rarely need any yelling since we know blindly of eachother what we're going to do and where we end up on court.

Sometimes a yell of satisfaction after a long rally is a good way to boost morale. Just mind the opposite player and don't start harassing him :p.

10. feather_guy

feather_guy Regular Member

Well yelling before a shot, ie smash, gives you more power. It also can help scare and/or deceive your opponent if you decided to play a drop instead.

11. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    For many people, it's important to release their nervousness and cheer up themselves.

I find it important when I am in a losing position in the game, do so many unforced mistakes or feel "I can't win this match" in my heart. Yelling will release all that and make you ready again.

Maybe there are effects on the opponent too as they get more nervous and have their mental state effected as they see us not being intimidated and are ready to play against them.

12. 1hotdr

1hotdr Regular Member

I think yelling is very important. But mostly I just yell at my doubles partner :)

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i try to be as quiet as possible throughout the game

i find it embarrassing to be yelling all the time..especially when hitting i find a yell hilarious (once every 3 weeks i do that unintentionally and then im embarressed ^^)

for league / tournament matches i allow myself (only if necessary) one loud yell or curse per set because i think when everything goes wrong one loud curse can actually make it better

but i always laugh about ppl who are cursing all the time and i dont want to be that way ;)

14. gabz001

gabz001 Regular Member

The people i know that do yell use it mainly for the psychological effect.

In my personal opinion when playing in tournaments staying mentally sound is a crucial factor in performance so yelling can be used for all sorts of reasons, I know people who use it to exhale as much as possible when going for power shots(I know of one guy who actually yells 'FIGHT' everytime he smashes), some people use it to for deception since yelling is often linked to power shots, then theres people who just use it to try and get the adrenaline rush in order to keep them going through a match.

I honestly think its about as effective in getting into your opponents head as smashing a net kill across the floor.

So if you think it works for you, use it. If you think its stupid, dont.
    Best part of sport is that theres no single answer to everything

15. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Agree, but only problem with doing it too often is that one or two times when the smash meets a good counter attack from the opponent... then total deflation...

16. gabz001

gabz001 Regular Member

everything has its ups and downs :D

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Depends on the player, personally I don't yell. There is no profit in that for me.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    in Kendo, there is etiquette and technique on how and when to yell.

19. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Are we talking about yelling during shots or in between rallies?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Yelling during a shot I understand, but there are a few pro players who always let out a semi loud yell before each rally, like Zhang Nan, which does grate on you after a while, even though I highly respect him