Regarding the technique/training forum

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dlp, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I know there's a sticky regarding this forum but lately there seems to be a lot of threads where many people offer advice on often relatively simple questions, unfortunately most of the advice although generally well meaning is often conflicting/inappropriate/wrong.

Made up example:

Q I can't clear from the forehand corner in singles

Answers:
    1. Its all in the wrist
    2. You must always scissor kick
    3. You need to do weights
    4. Increase you string tension
    5. Its all about pronation, or suppination...
    6. If your basic technique is sound and you are reaching the shuttle at or above head height you should be able to achieve a clear, assuming the shuttles are of correct speed. Consider if you have a correct relaxed grip (plenty of info on this available), are arriving in a near sideways position and taking the shuttle at a high contact point and not too far behind the head. You may jump up/jump back, jump up and turn ("scissor"),or lunge backwards, depending on your level and game situation. A video or further info would be useful.
    7. You don't need to clear.... smash everything!

Original Questioner "Thanks I've increased my tension to 40lbs, I'm doing bench press and smashing everything. My arm is sore so I've made my racket grip 3 times as big to compensate..thanks!"

In my somewhat comical example answer 6 is fairly good, but is lost amongst the conflicting and mixed advice of the other answers. There's some really good points in this forum, but often some poor advice, often given by social players. I'm not sure about the solution any thoughts?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    the problems with forums everywhere. Every1 is an *Expert* lol. U have to filter through the good stuff and the bad stuff. Most of the advice above is correct to a point thou except the string tension - increase wil make it worse lol. Thats why its good to be a regular member and know who the coaches are, high regular standard players etc. It may b a thought in the side bit wit our user names to say if we r coach/player and whether we r advanced, intermediate or beginner level

3. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Oohh, very hot topic! ;)

Of course there are people who give some advice, although they shoudn't. On the other hand nobody knows everything, even coaches and high standard players. There even might occur some contradictorily advices between these so called experts.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    A big problem with sports "coaching" on the net is that it is difficult to visualise, can be ambiguous when people are dealing with a second language & of course there is more than one way of doing something.

The best advise someone can give is to get a good coach to show you ways of doing things and with this knowledge you will improve, but also understand more of the advice being given and have an idea of what you think & what suits you best.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Totally agree with last two posts, of course the problem is the people asking for advice can''t determine between the helpful comment from a good player or coach and something wrong or inappropriate from a well meaning beginner.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a thought, what if there were a stickied post that detailed, for as many shots as possible, links to the free videos that cover that area.

As an example, when someone came to the technique forum and asked about a weak backhand clear, they will get some helpful (or not so helpful) advice. They may also, if they are lucky, be referred to one of a few training videos: thejyms backhand video, the zhao junhua training video, the badminton england video, the lee jae bok video, or maybe some others. What I propose is that there be a list of any of these videos we can think of under a heading "improving your backhand" so that someone with the weak backhand can, if they chose, try and learn from these videos BEFORE asking the questions.

If they don't understand the videos, or need more/different help, then that is fair enough, but most responses to the videos I see are "thanks I will try that next time I play" - they haven't seen the video before. This may filter out the opportunities for "mis information" to be offered, as I would be surprised if a lot of people wouldn't have their answers fixed by copying the instructional videos.

I accept that this is not a full solution to the problem you posed, but is it worth attempting for the sake of ensuring that people looking for help with the fundamental things can easily find some good instructional content? Is it a partial solution?

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Honestly, it's not like the information is being hidden from anyone - it's all very easy to find, if only people would read the stickies, search for existing similar threads, search youtube, search other sites (eg. badminton bible), etc - but people just don't do it.

Really, noone should be posting a question like "I can't clear from the forehand corner in singles" in the first place, because it's already been discussed a thousand times before (unless you think someone will have come up with a revolutionary new way to play/coach the technique). It's not surprising a lot of the answers are coming from people who don't know what they're talking about - everyone else has got sick and tired of answering the same old questions over and over.

I've seen some forums that automatically perform a search for similar topics, and show you the results before allowing you to post a new topic. Maybe that would help?

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Different coaches, different taste. ;)

9. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    This is a good idea but wud it kill the forum. I love coming on to see new threads and posts. If people found what they looked for, you cud find a lot less new threads which I enjoy. But its still a great idea and a way to combat the problem. Jus dont want the forum becoming stagnent.

10. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Excellent topic and I agree with Mseeley.

Most of the questions would be answered if they read badmintonbible.com once. But what if he does not know which can be trusted and which should not? There is a flood of information on net, including this forum, some good, some bad & some ugly. Creating a sticky with a few links to the sites & videos would help. Also most of the questions are regarding either backhand or regarding smash & clear.

Another option would be to keep mum if the question does not deserve an answer or just point to a site or link which already answered the question.

NP

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    sketchy: love that idea about searching for related topics first. However, I don't think it would make sense to search against anything that hasn't been posted within a few months or something like that - personally don't like the idea of reviving/using the same threads from years ago.

I have used the search facility, and I found the sheer number of "hits" to be a little daunting. I did find what I was looking for, but it seemed harder than I would like to try too often (imagining myself as a beginner when I have lots of questions), but maybe I was using it wrong? It was only quick.

Following sketchy's idea, instead of disallowing the posting of the topic, perhaps there should be available a list of 5 or 6 recent topics with similar titles/ content (not necessarily easy to do), as a "recommended reading" before posting. If they still don't have the answer, then maybe they can post now, and be a little more enlightened at the very least. OR... some way of people indicating they are looking for information on a certain shot (e.g. backhand clear) and hence being referred to a current thread - rather than create a new topic to THEN be referred to a current thread (which happens a lot).

Ultimately, whatever happens can't cater for everyone, but I think it would be better if "beginners" - people struggling with grips, basic techniques and such, just had videos on demand that they could watch, along with some sort of guide on how to properly video themselves playing so they, and the rest of the forum if they post the video, can accurately see what is going on - this would avoid the inability to help someone because of a poor camera angle, or something similar (fairly frequent).

With that out the way, the majority of "new" threads would remain for discussing slightly unusual questions, or posting videos and discussing them (either of professionals doing something, or of "real" people playing). I can't help but feel its better to discuss tactics on a forum, rather than technique (which needs to be shown ideally - by a coach :) )

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    there is a function when you start a thread and the words of the title you type (eg. Backhand) will auto search and show you a few recent threads...but I just tried it and it is quite slow (at first I thought it wasn't working)

Regarding the search function, it is difficult because it isn't a google type search, it is the softwares, so is limited in its capacity. If I am looking for a specific peice on BF I normally search Google and it takes me to it on BF! It can be daunting & time consuming though & I can understand people can get frustrated and start a new thread. I have often search pages & pages of similar threads that put together would be great, but the amount of time it would take to merge/prune threads & delete the rubbish posts would be unreal and impractical.

#12 jamesd20, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    jamesd20 - thanks for your response! I understand that there are realistic limitations on the software used for this forum! Thanks for letting us know what is possible!

14. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    For anyone looking to fine tune their game, don't ask on a forum.
    ask the people you play badminton with who have actually seen you play and can make INFORMED recommendations about how to improve. Or better yet, find a coach.

If people can give proper advice on techniques on a forum based on a 2 paragraph description, I'm willing to start a text message based coaching organization that charges $5 per text :D. I'm going to be the first e-badminton-coach and will coach my own team of super elite badminton players through text messaging from the comfort of my own home.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Try it, and see if it will work for you or not

This Forum (Technique/Training) is becoming like our Equipment Forum. :):):)

The question like 'What is a good racket/sting for me to play better?' is quite similar to 'What is the a good stroke method/training technique for me to play better?'.

IMHO, the questioner will, more often than not, get more confused after reading the many replies to the question. :D:D:D

So what is the solution? I can only say "Try it, and see if it will work for you or not". :):):)

16. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    It seems like a great idea. I just had an idea and would post a new thread.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

You're starting a new thread?! Did you use the search function first? :p :D

18. visor

visor Regular Member

But seriously, I think perhaps a good way would be to have a forum function to allow members to rate or "recommend" a post if it is of high value and worthy to be stickied. That way excellent advice and insight is not buried and lost in the digital depths of the forum.

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    visor: I think that is a great idea!

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Unless the votes are coming from a panel of qualified/experienced coaches/players

Not easy to do it this way. Some of our members voting could have started Badminton just 3 months ago, some 3 years, some 30 years, ...... :):):)

Unless the votes are coming from a panel of qualified/experienced coaches/players, the votes to rate a post (sticky or not sticky) will not work.