Practice footwork! But how to apply it?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wildstyler, Feb 3, 2003.

1. wildstyler

wildstyler Regular Member

student
    canada in the school year and hong kong in the sum
    Hello to all.

I know that almost everyone at a certain point wants to improve more, but to do this people would suggest footwork or learn the correct technique. Learning the footwork doesn't take a lot of time as you people should know, but working hard on it to improve takes a lot of time. I, myself, don't say that I have perfected the footwork when training, but I just can't apply it to the game when I'm in the situation of needing it to get to a certain point in the court. I'd like to know, how I can apply it to the game and any ways to help me to apply it. Anyone here have the same situation as me? I have an example, when the opponent lifts the the backhand of me in singles when I am in the front of the court, the footwork is just not correct as I can feel it when I'm directing to the back.
    Help!!!
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Wildstyler

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tell us what you do with your feet in this situation.

Then tell us where you feel things are going wrong.

Also a lift to your backhand might be a straight lift or a cross court lift for the opponent . Please tell us which.

There may be many different problems....

3. x-er

x-er Regular Member

yea i have problems

whe my oponent drops after i lift on the lift net corner i get caught with the wrong foot work..
    i'd like to knw how to apply it
    my back court is barable just one corner is the key to my lost in points..

4. wildstyler

student
    To Cheung: Well, I have the problem with both from the front. As I have the correct footwork going forwards because it is much easier, but as I go back my feet start to shuffle back (like you would when you walk backwards, but the pace is faster for me) instead of doing the chasse (forgot how to do that stroke on the top of the e). By the way this problem also occurs for both of the back courts, but is more of a problem to the backhand than the forehand.
    Thanks
    Wildstyler

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I think i do the samething not sure...i turn to the side and start galloping a bit going backwards...:confused:

6. wildstyler

student
    To Joseph: The problem with me is that I don't turn to the side, but I know I need to turn to the side for a chasse footwork, but when I try to chasse step, I am too slow to reach to the back? Why? I don't know.

Wildstyler

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also tell us what kind of training and footwork learning you did.

a type of drill that is very useful is for the instructor to continuously feed birdies to you at random to a number of corners, and you will need to go from base to the corner and return the shot.

this simulates a game situation, but without the stress in a real game.

initially try to do just one or two corners, say the front two or the back two, and see if you can do the full footwork. and then add the 3rd and 4th.

it is *very* hard to do and especially to do it fast.

8. wildstyler

student
    To Kwun: I had been doing the drill you just said in the summer, but have stopped do to me coming back to Canada to study again in the school year. But the main footwork training I've done is doing the four corners (start from the front right to back right to front left to back left to front right and on and on and on...). Thanks for the advice, I totally forgot about that useful drill.
    Wildstyler

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

OK, I assume that you have learnt the 'flying step' ('fei bo' in cantonese) to get to the b'hand corner and use the overhead forehand stroke from the four corner exercise.

To make things simpler, let's assume the situation is that you have played a forehand net shot in the forecourt position and the opponent plays a cross court lift to your b'hand area. You then want to play an overhead forehand stroke (p'haps round the head)

Is the problem turning?
    Is the problem chasse movement?
    Or are you doing both of these and yet still not able to run behind the shuttle effectively?

Interestingly, although all players will do the turn body and chasse, some are taught to chasse first then turn body. Others are taught to turn body first, then chasse.
    Which one were you taught?

This answer is not easy. The movement involves a lot of different areas (and training [but proper tailored training])

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

So in this case, I'd have to chasse cross-court and backward (45-degree direction). The chasse should be lead with my LEFT foot (I'm right-handed). Is that right?

11. wildstyler

student
    To Cheung: My coach in Hong Kong taught me how to turn really quickly from rest position and do the chasse steps to the back. The problem here is the chasse movement, though I try to do it, I don't reach to the point where the bird is in front of me even if the clear was a very high one. Sometimes I would just start to stumble and create a step myself (I know you can do this, but my point is not here). I guess I was taught to turn first and then chasse step next.
    To Tammy: In this situation, I would return to base as normal from the front and then turn to the back as a chasse step like doing two parts at once. From the front to the base and then the base to the back.
    To Cheung: Sorry if I'm confusing you. I think I've made a mistake or two somewhere of explaining it, but that is what I do for the movement explained in the reply to Tammy, but the steps are expained in the top.

Regards
    Wildstyler

12. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

This is the part I'm trying to find out. If I know for sure the shuttle will land in the backcourt backhand corner, why don't I just make a smooth, continuous chasse movement in a 45-degree direction from right to left and front to back?

Wouldn't the "turn to the back" from the base take some time and slow you down?

#12 Tammy, Feb 4, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2003
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That would depend on what footwork you have learnt before and the intended shot.
    If you were playing a backhand shot, I'd say yes, that is correct.
    For a forehand overhead stroke, that depends if you were taught to turn first or chasse first.

To Wildstyler,

Since you learnt from a coach in HK, I guess we'll have similar type training.:)

Sometimes difficulty in movement is not the movement itself but the FIRST step.

If we go back to our 'ready' position (which should be in the forecourt area to your forehand side) after playing the netshot, you have said you turn first.

Can you re-examine the motion of your feet with the following in mind?
    Do you:
    a) pull the leading leg back and turn your body at the same time?
    b) step forward with your left leg, then step back with your right leg, turning simultaneously?

(Here I am interested in what you do as opposed to what you were taught. Sometimes after a period, our technique might change unwittingly)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Another movement that depend on how you place you feet in the forecourt position. IN our situation here, I am assuming after the forecourt net shot has been played, the right leg is closer to the net (for a righthander).

15. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    I'm no expert on footwork, styler. In fact, mine's pretty awful, as one of my posts will explain to you. However, here's a new idea I thought of not too long ago:

Let a partner hit clears and drops to each corner in turn. Do not play a rally. Your first attempt should be to try and hit the shuttle. Ask your partner to notice EVERY part of what happens with your feet during the routine of one shot. Write it all down.

Now try replying to the clears and drops without hitting them, i.e. move your feet to them according to the textbook. Compare what you wrote to how you've just done it and how it should be.

Tell yourself which way is right and which is wrong AS YOU PRACTICE THESE SHOTS. If you can mentally create a gulf between right and wrong practice through doing these single shots over and over, then maybe you will learn the habit of good footwork in a rigorous match.

I haven't tried this yet, so kick me if it doesn't work out, but tell me how you get on. Aleik.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung,

can you describe the "fei bo"?

i am still trying to figure out my backward moving footwork.

my coach, as usual, is not very helpful and tell us that "it depends" and never really describe anything concrete.

i find a quick hop back is the natural start for me, however, i am not able to connect smoothly from the hop back to the rotation and then the leg movement going backwards. my coach keep on tell us the movement backwards depends on the situation. which is true, but i can't even handle one situation smoothly yet.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not sure what you mean by quick hop backwards.

You are quite correct that in thinking that the "fei bo" is the answer to Wildstyler's problem

I guess Wildstyler sorta lost interest:)

¡§fei bo¡¨ is a cantonese term lit. "flying step"

It saves time travelling to the backhand corner to do a round-the¡Vhead rather than performing backhand stroke.
    To describe it¡¦s performance, I'll need to break down into components

For righthander,

Ready position at centre of court with legs slightly apart, right foot slightly forward. Shoulders above legs, legs bent so that centre of gravity is low
    First action is to step backwards with right foot towards backhand corner turning hips, torso, shoulders and bringing racquet up to ready position almost simultaneously. Position of shoulders is around perpendicular/just past perpendicular to net.
    Then do the chasse step back towards the backhand corner. To get to the backhand corner, you¡¦ll probably need to do two chasse steps to make up the distance.

So, all in all, adding up the movements, that's 3 steps.

What is "fei bo"?

"fei bo" combines 1st turning step with a small push of the left leg to the backhand corner. Probably, like me, you'll say "what's going on?" when first hearing this.
    Going back to the first turning step, the right leg moves back. What about the left leg? Well, the left leg rotates on the spot. For "fei bo", with the movement back of the right leg, the left leg also pushes backwards as the right leg comes past it with body turning. When you land, you will be in a position to continue with chasse. If you do this well, you can make up so much ground with your first step that only one chasse movement is needed to nearly reach the backhand corner.

Quite hard to describe in words.

Watch Gong Zhi Chao or Chen Hong and I think Yang Yang for examples.

Kwun, maybe for doubles(men's/mxd) it is used less frequently but there will still be situations where it is useful.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tried doing this at work (my co-worker probably thinks that i am strange already, so no matter), and i need a little clarification.

so i first tried kicking off right foot to initiate the body rotation, and then try using the left leg to kick the body backwards. that was really hard, with a lot of effort with the left leg, i only gain may be a foot or so. and the movement is rather awkward.

then i tried to start the move with both legs, basically a big rotating jump with both feet lifting off almost the same time (right foot usually a fraction of a second earlier), and i managed to gain more than 2ft when compared to a in place rotation.

is that correct? i still find that the right leg is doing most of the work when compared to the left, i feel that perhaps the left leg can contribute more, somehow, so may be i am doing it wrong?

19. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    To get behind shuttle ready to hit ,For a right hand player.....

To rear forehand corner push in middle after split step with both feet but more with left leg (left leg slightly in front after split) this should let you land sideways, push again with the left to take you to the back of the court, jump up and bring your right leg around to smash etc. So two basic parts to move to the shuttle.

Recovery would be dependant on the shot played and situation, it could be walking back to base, going straight forwards etc.

Other techniques jumping out from the middle staying sideways to intercept the shuttle, or stepping up/lunging back to take the shuttle.

To play round the head, basically the reverse footwork. Pushing in the middle with both legs but more with the right (slightly infront) , landing sideways and pushing off the left landing and taking off mostly on the right and jumping to hit landing with the right foot in front again.

Does that make sense?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

1) you can't initiate the body rotation by pushing with your right foot. you have to rotate your hips and shoulders actively

2) the direction of your right foot is more like a straight path to the backhand corner for the 1st step. A common mistake is for the right foot is to go directly backwards more. The end result is a curved path to the backhand corner due to compensation by altering direction of chasse movement. It becomes easier to fall over.:p
    Another common mistake is for the right foot to move in an arc resulting in a slower movement.

3) as your right foot passes your left foot, then push with your left foot to the direction of the backhand corner. so it is a slight sequential foot movement. Of course you left foot will have rotated a fraction of a second earlier with your body rotation.

4) when you rotate, rotate with the axis of rotation more in the centre of your body (vertical axis)

5) keep your centre of balance low when doing this movement. I used to unintentionally stand a bit upright and also have a vertical upwards movement which slows things down.

To be honest, I don't think it is very easy and needs a lot of body coordination

A high level of skill is to be able to incorporate sudden acceleration into the movement in order to change pace of the game.