Better for Doubles - Ryuga 1 (5U) or 88D 3rd Gen (4U)?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ZeroSOFInfinity, Apr 11, 2024.

1. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Currently I am using 88S Pro 3rd Gen, and now looking for a back court type of racket with powerful smashes and clearance for mixed doubles. My choices are:-

1) Ryuga 1 (5U)
    2) 88D Pro 3rd Gen (4U)

I did try a 4U Ryuga 1 and it was more like a 3.5U to me.

2. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    Given the two choices and what you want it for, I’d generally recommend the 88D Pro. Once you’re going to head heavy lighter racket, I’m not sure of a great advantage vs a headlighter more even balanced or even slightly head light racket that ends up with a similar swing weight. But I’d recommend the 88D just because it’s generally considered a faster racket than the Ryuga 1, but I’ve never seen in person the 5U sold or tried it. Only experiences with other brands 5U head heavy rackets.

3. Dlee

Dlee Regular Member

Of those two probably the 88dp

Largely because it is heavier and (as far as I’m aware) more user friendly.
    In addition, as you go lighter, you need faster racket head speed which will affect your timing and effort

Definitely test them if you can though

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Ryuga 1 is demanding stiff hammer racket.
    Being so, its not a good reason to goes for 5U hoping it would be faster for double. Well, it does faster but
    1. The burden weight is actually from its great swing weight not from an overall weight. Yes its faster but not by much & if you check the swing weight, you will notice it just reduced alittle.
    2. Less weight also mean less momentum thus mean less power. So you need to swing faster to compensate it, not to mention the stiffness would put you in a hard time especially a lighter racket so less head weight to help the bending.
    3. If you play with 88s, nothing wrong with 88d as its mean to be paired. The front queen of speed & the back king of power.

So safe bet would be 88D.

5. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Thanks guys for the answers. Got me a 88D 3rd Gen 4U.... and boy was it awesome.

SaxoProf likes this.