I build a website of badminton data with alltime goat ranking, elo ratings, records & more..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by zfkdiyi, Mar 29, 2024.

1. zfkdiyi

zfkdiyi New Member

For last 2 years I have been working on build a platform about badminton data statistics. Recently its first official version was finally online.

If you're interested in badminton matches data, Ranking / Elo Ratings / Goat status among players of all time, you may wish to visit this website: BadmintonRanks.com
    [​IMG]
    BadmintonRanks was referred to the famous tennis stat site: Ultimate Tennis Statistics' open source function style, and designed a set of Goat Points & Alltime Ranking & Elo Ratings calculations suitable for badminton sports.

Its database has near 4000 tournaments, 60000 players and more than 600k matches, not only contains most tournaments results from BWF official website (since 1989) , but also records many old matches data such as:

All England Open since 1968

Asian Games since 1970

World Championships since 1977 (all includes)

WBF Championships in 1978 & 1979 (unofficial world championships)

European Championships since 1972

Asian Championships since 1976

World Cup & Season Final since 1979 (all includes)

Most of Open Events since 1982 (MAS\IDN\JPN\CHN\DEN\SGP\GER\TPE...)

Thomas & Uber Cup since 1984

World Junior Championships since 2000 (includes Mixed Team Events)

Some unfamous Events like: World Invitation Tournaments, World Games 1980, Olympic Exhibition Sports 1972 & 1988, English Masters, Scandinavian Cup, Copenhagen Cup, Asian Cup etc...

Here are some pages:

Goat ranking of players of all events
    [​IMG]
    Tournament series:
    [​IMG]
    Each year's champion:
    [​IMG]
    H2H search:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Accurate H2H (29-12) of LD vs LCW

Player's profile:
    [​IMG]
    Season detail with different partner:
    [​IMG]
    Career timeline table:
    [​IMG]
    Matches detail:
    [​IMG]
    Alltime ranking (Since 1990.1)::
    [​IMG]

Elo Ratings (since 1970):
    [​IMG]
    Career best Elo ratings:
    [​IMG]
    Associations:
    [​IMG]
    Season Search:
    [​IMG]
    Season detail:
    [​IMG]
    Player season ranking:
    :
    [​IMG]
    Kento Momota's amazing 2019 season ranked 3rd in the alltime player seasons

Hundreds of historical records:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please let me know if you have any problems or any suggestions & ideas.

2. leaderofrouge

leaderofrouge New Member

@zfkdiyi Thanks for sharing and this looks like a great resource as a historical database.

Could be a bit of a stretch but I am just wondering how feasible is it to also have your data linked to a match video already available in the public domain like Youtube. I just thought if someone were to be interested enough to look up a data of particular match they'd likely also be interested in looking up the match as well. Obviously, I am not suggesting you to host a server to upload all the videos unless you are able to (aside of copyrights issues), but just whatever is available --- if they become unavailable or get taken off later on then bad luck.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to fetch in-depth statistics like shuttlecock changes/game or shuttlecock changes/match, smash/game or smash/match (etc.) with your platform?

Regarding "problems", I did stumble upon some typos and strange formatting on the "GOAT Point Rules " page --- please refer to the underlined portions.

upload_2024-3-29_22-46-0.png
    1. Unless you are planning to use GOAT as an abbreviation for something else, it would be more appropriate to say "GOAT is the abbreviation..."
    2. A space is missing between the full-stop and "See". (To be honest, I think "...the better the results..." is redundant as we can infer that having more GOAT points would generally be associated with a postive/better result and does not need to be restated. Also, the "got" underlined can be omitted as well in my opinion.)
    3. I suggest just typing out "3 or 4" instead of "3/4" just to absolutely avoid the possibility of anyone thinking you are saying three-quarters of a playoff. Also, I believe play-off can be pluralised?

upload_2024-3-29_23-7-4.png

4. The hyphens here look inconsistent. So I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

I will continue to go through the website and let you know if anything else catches my eyes.

This is a great resource and I look forward to referring to it in the future.

Thanks again for sharing.

Attached Files:

3. zfkdiyi

zfkdiyi New Member

Thanks for the typo correction !

Actually I have already add some matches' video link which is currently open to registered users. If more people like it, I will also consider adding more mathc videos.

Very very few badminton tournament provide official statistics on the number of shuttlecock changes or smash so it's too difficult to collect this kind of data.